Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When in doubt blame the game (I think not)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> When in doubt blame the game (I think not) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When in doubt blame the game (I think not) - 12/16/2001 9:44:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Come on guys.
I could have replied to all the posts, but this is easier. I am playing 7.0 with virtually no trouble whatsoever. I am categorically positive this is because I am not playing any remnant games, saved games, or using any ghosts from previous installs. If you want clean you need clean. Delete Steel Panthers correctly. Do it entirely. Dont look back. Re install like I did. I loaded 5.1 and did nothing to modify the install. I walked through installing each and every version just to amuse myself. No modifications at all. Cost me like 30 minutes as I rebooted as it requested after each version updated. Now I have the game on the system, its a clean install after the system had been recently formated. I am playing battles, scenarios, long campaigns and none of the stated problems exist. Its not the game, its the user. You are not looking hard enough in my opinion.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 12/17/2001 2:15:00 AM   
Belisarius

Feels like I can second you on that, 'Sarge. As I recently re-installed my entire OS, the same had to be done for SPWAW. Installed 5.1, and proceeded with the updates exactly like Sarge did. Works like a charm. No problems whatsoever. Check your machines, dudes.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 12/17/2001 2:56:00 AM   
Capt. Chris

I have also been running just fine since the upgrade. I deleted all of my saved games and that steel.prf file. This version seems to have solved the sound problems I was having in 6.1. Loud screeching noises, static, etc. Everything is working great now.

Chris

Post #: 3
- 12/17/2001 8:00:00 AM   
Krec

Ditto

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

Post #: 4
- 12/17/2001 5:19:00 PM   
ruxius

SPWAW is worth also this new effort !
Good idea !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 5
- 12/17/2001 7:46:00 PM   
jambo1

I certainly concur, and my screeching sound problems have disapeared too, as always great effort on a great game. The AI certainly works better now, it's like a whole new enemy. My troops are calling..... Col Bob out......

Ya only live til ya die!

Post #: 6
- 12/17/2001 8:48:00 PM   
jamiep1

IMHO, if people are experiencing the same problem, it IS the game or more correctly the upgrade in this case. None of us are knocking Matrix or SPWAW, they are both fantastic. Before I retired due to Multiple sclerosis, I was an engineer for a telecommunication company & worked on & installed hundreds of patches & upgrades. On non redundant systems, we never "uninstalled" software & "reinstalled". To say the least, the customer would have strung us up & left us out to dry. We would load the software, change or add any new hardware, perform an IPL & be off & running. The company I worked for is second in the world to IBM for anything that uses a processor so they had a large R & D department & engineering group which makes our tasks easier in the field. Matrix is small but mighty & have always responded to the gamers. They will find the problem & it will be fixed. No problem!

Post #: 7
- 12/17/2001 9:45:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Jamiep1 Yes Matrix "has" fixed the problem in my opinion. Its called version 7.0 You are perhaps correct in the uninstall reinstall comments being "undesirable" exactly as you mentioned. I would be unimpressed as well if fixing a game meant uninstalling my OS or rebuilding the computer and re assembling it. But Steel Panthers is a game not an OS or my motherboard. If deleting the game is the best way to ensure a clean operating, copy sure I will ditch it and re install. If I had a copy of version 7.0 as a complete program, it would take less effort than getting my breakfast. I have often had trouble wanting to play a board game "cause I am already using it with another person in a game in progress". We cant always get what we want immediatetly. All the fans currently playing games with earlier versions have a choice to make. Wait till the game is done then upgrade, or concede that game and start with a fresh install. Its not rocket science, I dont care to ask the Matrix people to lose sleep with patches that are effectively dealt with by just ditching old installs and re installing. There is little need for "quick fixes" that only satisfy a users need to preserve a game in progress. Waste of good programing time.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 8
- 12/17/2001 10:12:00 PM   
jamiep1

Hey Les, The 7.0 is causing a "player synch" error so it is the problem. I had the beta patch for the Yugo bug & things were fine. I moved to the 7.0 & the error popped up. I checked several things (SiSoft Sandra & Norton are wonders) with my machine & it checks out fine. I then came here to see if anyone else had the same thing & there are several that do. Like I said, we (my company) were lucky because of the large resources behind us on patches & upgrades. I saw patches that only affected a few addresses & I put these in manually. I saw patches & upgrades that were huge & followed the docs to the letter. SPWAW is a labor of love from gamers to gamers so I am definitely not upset with any glitches. I know Matrix is small & working hard & I support them whole heartedly. I guess my point is that it's not the user when several people experience the same error, that is a program bug. No big deal, Matrix will fix it & I will continue to buy from them. They have some issues with orders but they are responding to them. Growing pains but they are working hard to deliver top notch products. I know that David, Wild Bill, & all are probably banging their heads at times but I see a company on the rise to be the best in the hobby. I appreciate their efforts.

Post #: 9
- 12/17/2001 11:41:00 PM   
Jackk

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:
Jamiep1 I have often had trouble wanting to play a board game "cause I am already using it with another person in a game in progress". We cant always get what we want immediatetly. All the fans currently playing games with earlier versions have a choice to make. Wait till the game is done then upgrade, or concede that game and start with a fresh install.
Or just install a 2nd copy with the new version.
I did that so I could play around with it till I finish my games with my current PBEM partners and they upgrade as well. I haven't had the synch error (or any others) yet, but I haven't played more than a few scenarios so I won't throw my 2 cents in on that.

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

Post #: 10
- 12/18/2001 1:02:00 AM   
tracer

One point about the patches to keep in mind: if you've burned them onto a CD, sometimes the files change from 'archive' to 'read only'. Easy fix is to copy them from the CD to a 'temp' or empty folder, right click and select 'properties', then change them back to 'archive'. After unzipping, check the patch itself to make sure its not 'read only'.
Funny side note (from the 'you hadda be there' file): while typing this I almost fell outta my chair when two large booms shook my house...the sonic booms from the Space Shuttle landing! Scares the **** outta me every time
Go USA [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: tracer ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: tracer ]

Jim NSB

Post #: 11
- 12/18/2001 1:36:00 AM   
chief

Tracer: I tought that those twin booms were new sound files in version 7.0. Now I'm disappointed. By the way I installed 7.0 over all I had running and installed and no problems at all...thanks Matrix. I was able to continue game in progress without a glitch.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 12
- 12/19/2001 7:38:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I too have recently upgraded to 7.0 and have not had any substantial problems. In fact, this is one of the most stable games I've had the good fortune to play (and I play it to death )

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> When in doubt blame the game (I think not) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI