Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carpet Bombing Design Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Carpet Bombing Design Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carpet Bombing Design Question - 5/25/2005 1:36:34 PM   
BK6583

My neighbor and gaming partner have now played several scenarios using carpet bombing, both on the giving and receiving end. We have one burning game design question: Isn't this backwards? I mean, you carpet bomb, then attack with ground forces! That's how it went historically. As it now stands with the BIN game engine, you attack with your ground forces and then carpet bombing hits! Couldn't there have been a mechanism where you could launch a 10-1 odds carpet bombing attack like a regular attack, and then hit the hex with a ground forces attack SECOND? Having been drooling over the prospect of using carpet bombings, we both feel the current game mechanism for resolving them really detracts from what until now has been an enormously addictive and entertaining game.
Post #: 1
RE: Carpet Bombing Design Question - 5/25/2005 2:45:26 PM   
Rob Gjessing

As far as I know in the game the carpet bombing always occurs prior to the ground assaults.. infact the odds are recalculated for the ground attack after the carpet bombing has done its stuff.. this is all represented as one process to the player though.,

Isn't that bizarre?

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: Carpet Bombing Design Question - 5/25/2005 3:00:36 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: BK6583

...Couldn't there have been a mechanism where you could launch a 10-1 odds carpet bombing attack like a regular attack, and then hit the hex with a ground forces attack SECOND? Having been drooling over the prospect of using carpet bombings, we both feel the current game mechanism for resolving them really detracts from what until now has been an enormously addictive and entertaining game.

Carpet bombing occurs independent of ground combat... you get 1 to 3 bombing runs in the bombed hex (may be target, may not be your target hex)... there's also a % chance that the attacked units will not take damage during a given bombing run.

AFTER all the damage is meted out, then your ground attack goes off. Just as you want it.

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 3
RE: Carpet Bombing Design Question - 5/25/2005 3:28:39 PM   
BK6583

"Carpet bombing occurs independent of ground combat... you get 1 to 3 bombing runs in the bombed hex (may be target, may not be your target hex)... there's also a % chance that the attacked units will not take damage during a given bombing run.

AFTER all the damage is meted out, then your ground attack goes off. Just as you want it."

Hmmmm - I guess we're going to have to try to take a closer look. An attack with carpet bombing is admitting resolved very quickly, so maybe we're not perceiving the resolution correctly. What made us think that the carpet bomb attack is resolved second (or last if you will) is that when we would click on the resolve combat gold button at say, a 5-1 oods attck, the last thing we would see is a resolved attack that occurred at 10-1 odds, which we assumed was the carpet bomb portion of this combat - hence we were convinced carpet bombing occured last - is this incorrect?

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 4
RE: Carpet Bombing Design Question - 5/25/2005 4:25:14 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: BK6583

...What made us think that the carpet bomb attack is resolved second (or last if you will) is that when we would click on the resolve combat gold button at say, a 5-1 oods attck, the last thing we would see is a resolved attack that occurred at 10-1 odds, which we assumed was the carpet bomb portion of this combat - hence we were convinced carpet bombing occured last - is this incorrect?

Carpet bombing causes step losses in the hex it strikes... the combat is then carried out at new odds (normally better than before) and with possibly better shock advantage. That's why you see new odds... both are for the follow on ground attack... first one is pre-CB and then you see the actual attack odds (after defense values are recalculated).

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Carpet Bombing Design Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI