Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is v7.0's Tiger invincible? PBM for test it

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Is v7.0's Tiger invincible? PBM for test it Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is v7.0's Tiger invincible? PBM for test it - 12/16/2001 9:35:00 PM   
Gallo Rojo

I give a look at new armor system and OOB changes and I really don't like them. I have the feeling that with its improved armor Tiger I probably have become some kind of invincible tank in this newest version, particularly in eastern front in 1943, which is my favorite year and front to play. To test if I'm right or not I would like to play a PBM in 1943 with some good player.
My idea is to fight two battles at the same time, each player leading Soviets forces in one battle and Germans in the other one. For the preferences and battlefield characteristics I usually do the follow:
· All preferences ON
· Around 3000 points for Germans (Soviets by default)
· Map: Relatively open country.
· Map size: medium of large (I am open to debate at this point)
· Note about Map: it could be a good idea using the same map for both battles (we can use a custom map or build one for this specific battle)
· Weather: clear (to allow good visibility -we are testing Tigers here)
· Air sections: no more than one (although not air sections at all could be a good idea)
· Artillery: no more than 15% of the points spent on indirect fire On Board Art and/or Off Board Art.
· Germans move first
· German Player must buy Tigers as a part of his or her OOB (of course not all German tanks have to be Tigers if he or she doesn't want, but some Tigers because that is what I like to test here) If any one is interested in this please e-mail me

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
Post #: 1
- 12/16/2001 9:47:00 PM   
Don Doom

Let me assure you they[tiger1] are not invincible.
While trying out the new features I had a SU-122 kill a tiger at six hexes on the front plate no less. I believe that is normal to me.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 2
- 12/16/2001 9:49:00 PM   
skukko

bring it on Gallo I do think that Tiger is actually more vulnerable than before... really, -don't hit me LOL and T-34s are more effective against all other tanks but Tigers...as it should be. I've playerd with 7th betas and final now two months or so and I do like of what I've seen mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 3
- 12/16/2001 11:06:00 PM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
bring it on Gallo I do think that Tiger is actually more vulnerable than before... really, -don't hit me LOL and T-34s are more effective against all other tanks but Tigers...as it should be. I've playerd with 7th betas and final now two months or so and I do like of what I've seen mosh
I have a great respect for you Mosh, as a veteran and as a incredible hard opponent in PBM. I trust in your word --also yours Dom Doom I will try a couple of Tiger scenarios to see what happens.
It seems to me (looking at penetration tables) that T-34/76 can only take a Tiger ussing APCR ammo.
I may agree that Tiger was a little weak at v6.1 (as well as all other tanks) and make it harder to kill is an improvenment... but I think that is a pity that to corret this matrix team had chaged the armor system. Any way... if some one is interested in a tanks engagenmet involving Tigers&T-34 PBM in Russia 1943 just e-mail me. I really like to see how v7.0 goes against a human. cheers all!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 4
- 12/17/2001 4:55:00 PM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
???? How can you say that? Did you notice the F-34 gun is down to pen 80, and the Tiger has armor 88 or more all round?

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 5
- 12/17/2001 5:21:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hi. I have not here a copy of Spwaw (I'm at work) but can someone check the penetration value of the 75mmL38, the Sherman gun, Pleeeeeze? I'm suspicious man...

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 6
- 12/17/2001 8:30:00 PM   
Charles2222

The USSR didn't make the T34/85 in such large numbers as they did, because the T34/76 stood a chance against the Tiger. Even that "medium" tank, the T34/85, doesn't come out with the advantage, because it was a stop-gap tank, which obviously wasn't built to take a Tiger on one-on-one. The best the USSR could do with such a matchup was the KV series. Try using heavy tanks against heavy tanks instead. Battling T34/76s against Tigers is as fruitless (V.7 or otherwise) as sending PZIIIHs against KVIs. It's history, not every nation, and actually very few nations I'd say, had a "medium" tank which was as good as another nation's top-of-the-line "heavy" tank (With the possible exception of the Panther, assuming one would classify it as a 'medium' tank), so why are we expecting that?

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 7
- 12/17/2001 10:09:00 PM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by Charles_22:

It's history, not every nation, and actually very few nations I'd say, had a "medium" tank which was as good as another nation's top-of-the-line "heavy" tank (With the possible exception of the Panther, assuming one would classify it as a 'medium' tank), so why are we expecting that?

Nobody is saying that. I think nobody has ever said that on this forum since the beginning of time.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 8
- 12/18/2001 2:12:00 AM   
Charles2222

Penetrator:
quote:

Nobody is saying that. I think nobody has ever said that on this forum since the beginning of time.
Technically nobody is saying that, but it has manifested itself before, very many times before, so perhaps you'll excuse me if I see such things as the motivating force. Wanting to know why a figure has dropped is one thing, but wanting it at a certain level so it can penetrate Tigers is quite another. It wouldn't be so bad if people didn't then expect Tiger prices to soar or Tiger stats to plummet with such expectations, but they do.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 9
- 12/18/2001 2:22:00 AM   
Charles2222

Penetrator: BTW, if you think I have no clue here, look at the thread just started today by a different author (Version 7.0 is a fairy tale) who seems to be expecting miracles out of the USSR 76mm. Sheesh, it was bad enough when people were expecting parity between the T34/85 and the Tiger. [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 10
- 12/18/2001 3:51:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

The USSR didn't make the T34/85 in such large numbers as they did, because the T34/76 stood a chance against the Tiger. Even that "medium" tank, the T34/85, doesn't come out with the advantage, because it was a stop-gap tank, which obviously wasn't built to take a Tiger on one-on-one. The best the USSR could do with such a matchup was the KV series. Try using heavy tanks against heavy tanks instead. Battling T34/76s against Tigers is as fruitless (V.7 or otherwise) as sending PZIIIHs against KVIs. It's history, not every nation, and actually very few nations I'd say, had a "medium" tank which was as good as another nation's top-of-the-line "heavy" tank (With the possible exception of the Panther, assuming one would classify it as a 'medium' tank), so why are we expecting that?
I would'nt go so far as to call the T-34/85 a "stopgap" anything. I mean, noone calls the Pz-IVH a stop-gap tank with it's potent new 75mm gun and uparmored snout. Instead its praisingly called the "backbone" of the Panzer divisions. To me the 34/85 is in the same genre...a final development of a battlewinning (but not perfect, what tank is?) tank that allowed the USSR to drive (litterally) from Stalingrad to Berlin As for taking on the Tiger. The new 34 was an attempt to address the "overall" problem plauging the Russian army in having the same aging and increasingly ineffective main tank gun arming both it's medium and heavy tanks. The KV-85 i'd call a stopgap since what the Russians needed for their own heavy tank was a bigger gun than a medium could carry, like the Tiger. Too, i always found it puzzeling that a medium tank like the 34 keeps always getting compared to the heavy tank Tiger. The two were in different leagues and in different catagories The 85mm was powerful enough though to keep even a heavy tank like the Tiger honest in it's dealings. No more ignoring the laws of tank tactics for that particular

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 11
- 12/18/2001 4:08:00 AM   
Mikimoto

quote:

Penetrator: BTW, if you think I have no clue here, look at the thread just started today by a different author (Version 7.0 is a fairy tale) who seems to be expecting miracles out of the USSR 76mm. Sheesh, it was bad enough when people were expecting parity between the T34/85 and the Tiger. [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]
Where do I say I expect parity between the T34/85 and the Tiger? Really expecting miracles of the USSR 76mm? It was that "silly" gun and others Soviet designs that defeated the 80% of German men and resources.. Your posture is pure American Chouvinism, you can't believe others did the long, real and hard job... hahaha

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 12
- 12/18/2001 5:00:00 AM   
Panzer Leo

quote:

Originally posted by Mikimoto:
Where do I say I expect parity between the T34/85 and the Tiger? Really expecting miracles of the USSR 76mm? It was that "silly" gun and others Soviet designs that defeated the 80% of German men and resources.. Your posture is pure American Chouvinism, you can't believe others did the long, real and hard job... hahaha

You're absolutely right, Miki. And it was also the well trained Russian infantry-man, relying on his months and years of practicing in the worlds highest regarded infantry schools, who send the Germans back to Berlin. He was lead by NCO's full of wisdom and infantry tactics, just beaten by the glorious junior officers, the inventors of the most complex battle tactics the world had seen sofar...ofcourse, if it was not like this, how could they ever have beaten the Germans ?

[URL=http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/spwaw_h2h_modrework.php] [IMG]http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/PzLeos-H2H-Title-1.jpg[/IMG] [/URL]

Mir nach, ich folge euch !

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 13
- 12/18/2001 5:16:00 AM   
Mikimoto

quote:

Originally posted by Panzer Leo:

You're absolutely right, Miki. And it was also the well trained Russian infantry-man, relying on his months and years of practicing in the worlds highest regarded infantry schools, who send the Germans back to Berlin. He was lead by NCO's full of wisdom and infantry tactics, just beaten by the glorious junior officers, the inventors of the most complex battle tactics the world had seen sofar...ofcourse, if it was not like this, how could they ever have beaten the Germans ?

Hahaha... You know perfectly that tactic schools for the Soviets were more than three years of never-ending-receiving kicks in the ass... a bloody school, in my humble opinion.
Germany almost wins, but US entry in the war cancelled it definetively. But most real fighting was carried by British and Soviets... Do you love Revisionism?
Kv's and T-34's were more than a headache for the Germans...
By the way, I never play Soviets, I play mostly with Germans and US, but don't like this "official cheating"...

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 14
- 12/18/2001 7:04:00 AM   
Panzer Leo

Miki, if you just had spent a bit of the time you're wasting here complaining, with looking over to the TO&E/OOB forum, you would have a better feeling for the new values and they wouldn't be such a surprise to you. What you're calling "official cheating" is the most impressive work on WWII ballistics a game has seen sofar. Every change in the values was made for a reason and several people tried to explain it several times, yet you didn't make a single arguement why things should be different, other then you don't like it, because you read it should be different
Normally, I would ignore such a low level debate, but for my taste the Matrix work get's hammered a bit too hard here...
If you've something important to say, say it, but as you mentioned in an earlier post, you're 38 years old, so try to behave like that...

[URL=http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/spwaw_h2h_modrework.php] [IMG]http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/PzLeos-H2H-Title-1.jpg[/IMG] [/URL]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 15
- 12/18/2001 7:15:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Give me one source, other than Lorrin, that states PzIII had more gun punch that T-34, please.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 16
- 12/18/2001 8:02:00 AM   
Panzer Leo

"Handbook on German Military Forces", by U.S. War Department

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 17
- 12/18/2001 8:35:00 AM   
Mikimoto

quote:

Originally posted by Panzer Leo:
"Handbook on German Military Forces", by U.S. War Department

I dont own that book... can you give me an internet link, please?

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 18
- 12/18/2001 9:06:00 AM   
Galka

quote:

I dont own that book... can you give me an internet link, please?

I own the book but cannot find any reference to a 50mm gun penetrating more than 56mm of armour @30 degrees at 1000 yards. An interesting summary of the Tiger tank states: In 1942 the Pz. Kpfw. VI or Tiger, appeared in Russia, and later in Africa. The Tiger was designed in the direct German tradition, and simply was armed more heavily and armoured more thickly than its predeccessors. It appeared out of its proper order in the line of succession, for the Pz. Kpfw. V or Panther, did not appear until a year later. The Panther was somewhat of a surprise, since it marked a departure from conventional lines of German design, and in the arrangement of its armour showed strong signs of Russian influence. Its great sucess in combat undoubtedly gave rise to the decision to redesign the Tiger, which to some extent had fallen short of expectations.

"In light of my experience, I consider that your conclusion that the attacker needs a three to one superiority is under the mark, rather than over it. I would say that, for success, the attacker needs six to one or seven to one against a well-knit defence

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 19
- 12/18/2001 10:51:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

Hey guys don't argue, try the Touney Two player Kursk Scenario offered at the SP Arsenal. http://www.militarygameronline.com/steelpanthers/ An all tank slugfight. T-34s vs PVIII's PZIV's and a few Tigers. Must play for PBEM. The Soviet player must be a good tank Tactcian! Please do this one PBEM as it was designed for. Mosh and I are playing it and now, were in in the Punch drunk phase of the Game. Tank casulaties heavy for both sides. Yes, PzIII's do destroy T34's and Tigers are well - Tigers at Long range! Playing the AI is one thing but another Human - the true SP improvments are manifest and many arguements are swept away in Human vs Human games!
The Too hit and Ballistics are more real life when playing against the AI and Human vs Human playing is far best!

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 20
- 12/18/2001 10:56:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

Correction: I hit the send button to soon: Post should read: The Too hit and Ballistics are more real life when playing agaisnt Human Players RATHER THAN THE AI, Human vs Human playing is far best! Sorry type to fast - should proof read slower
quote:

Originally posted by BryanMelvin: [The Too hit and Ballistics are more real life when playing against the AI and Human vs Human playing is far best![/QB]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 21
- 12/18/2001 11:18:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Give me one source, other than Lorrin, that states PzIII had more gun punch that T-34, please.
well the Russian Military Zone does admit that the Germans gained their gun power primary from the excellence and high velocity of their ammo, while the Russians were forced to upsize their gun barrels in order to compete. (hence the use of 76.2mm, while the "norm" of the time was more between 37-50mm, then to 85mm to match the high velocity 75mm of the German, finally to the 100 and 122mm guns to compete with the deadly 88 through sheer brute force (the 100mm is a partial exception to this)) Granted yes, this is one site, as is Lorrin and recently enabled but having purused there for hours on end i have to say its one of the best and most comprehensive sites on the subject available on the web. It does have some Russian oriented viewpoints of course but that only serves the point, its a 'Russian' site and it admits the strengths of the German ammo vs the Russian ammo. One thing forgotten too, is that the 76.2 does retain a warhead size advantage over the 50mm. (warhead 4 compared to 3) Now how much this factors into the game in terms of penetration and destruction i'm not sure. Paul maybe can elaborate. I'll admit too, that in my playtestings so far, the warhead advantage has'nt led to much difference yet. T-34's tend to burn once skewed by 50mm rounds, same as when the Pz's get perforated by a 76er. Maybe a greater random varience in the # of APCR rounds for the German tanks (and other nations as well) would impart a little more balance? I'm not advocating going back to the old SP where a tank would be lucky to have one or two rounds...less than useless for all 'but' a German player during the peak Panzer era since they have the best statistical first shot first hit first kill in the game for the most part, but just make so some tanks might have a few, others more, maybe a few none at all? [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 22
- 12/18/2001 11:19:00 AM   
skukko

Copy that one Bryan Who needs history when you have human vs human as it is in spwaw? And to Penetrator and everybody else: I do play this game and enjoy it as it is, not as it should be in the future. Guys in WW2 did play it in real life and that is history that can only be mirrored, never recreated. Spwaw can't copy individual heroism that was one big thing in WW2. (another flame?? ) mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 23
- 12/18/2001 11:39:00 AM   
Panzer Leo

quote:

Originally posted by Galka:

I own the book but cannot find any reference to a 50mm gun penetrating more than 56mm of armour @30 degrees at 1000 yards.

That's it !
Calculate the 56mm @30 at 1000yards back to @0 and 100 yards and you'll get to the mid 90s. Many sources for the F-34 gun state a 80mm @0 and 100yards for "normal" production rounds (T-34 in German use are listed at "Achtung Panzer" with 71 @0 and 500yards, that makes for 78 @0 and 100yards). So if I made no major mistake in my calculations, the U.S. War Department thought in March '45, that the 50mm/L60 had a "bigger" punch. But as this new penetration system is more complex, the T/D ratio is not expressed by this. The larger diameter of the 76,2mm round from the T-34 will benefit against thinner armor plates, increasing it's punch...but I'm shure you knew this, Miki...

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 24
- 12/18/2001 11:41:00 AM   
Nikademus

I just recalled something else that probably should be mentioned. When bereft of APCR ammo, both versions of the 50mm will be hard pressed to penetrate the T-34 along it's still formidably well sloped front "Hull" Though the recent 'balistical' adjustment shaved off a good 25-30mm worth of equiv zero degree armor thickness, the average result still falls around 106-110mm of equiv armor. Unless a "vulnerable location" hit is scored, simming a hit on the machine gun mantlet, the driver's plate or just a plain flaw in the armor itself, both guns, even with their upgraded stats cant punch through the armor as they peak at 77 and 97mm respectively assuming a near perpendicular shot. That leaves only the special and rarer APCR rounds which even then might still skip off thanks to the slope and WAW's excellent detail level. Thus, only the less well sloped frontal turrets remain vulnerable. True you can argue 50% chance of hitting (and pen) the turret is alot but keep in mind the historical precedence. The Germans needed a gun that could effectively take out a 34 (or a KV, which all around remains very tough for the Pz-III series to take without special ammo) at a longer range and with a far more effective chance than meerly 50% (or less). 'Thats' the reason why the 50mm, and the Mark III eventually lost it's role as MBT in the German army, not because the 50mm was 'totally' ineffective against uber T-34 and KV tanks, but because it was'nt "effective enough" to give the Germans a comfortable margin of superiority. In fact it was the opposite, at least until the advent of much more heavily armored varients like the Ausf M for the Mark III and the Aufs G and H for the Mark IV. In the case of the Pz-III all that additional armor benefited the Germans little if the tank gun they carried required them to get as close as 400yards or less for their gun to have a decent frontal arc chance to knock out a 34. The Germans needed a far more effective balance tipper, and found it in the form of the uparmored and upgunned Mark IV, regaining for them battlefield superiority at least in straight shoot out terms, especially if the Germans were on the defense, which by 43 they were more and more on with the sole exception of the Kursk offensive. A tank of course is not simply gun and armor though, its also mobility and reliability. The T-34 still retains it's mobility edge which neither the Mark III or IV could ever fully match, which again is the reason for the genesis of the Mark V...a tank purpose built to beat the T-34 in all three major catagories, Mobility, firepower, and protection. So has the T-34 and KV really been disadvantaged? or simply brought down to earth so to speak? there remain some questions about the downgraded gun stats i'll admit. What would help here is some data from the best real life example we have, Kursk, both historical and player data from the Kursk scenerio. How are Tigers being knocked out? Pz-III's IV's? Is it soley through luck or APCR? or can the 34's at least compete at close range? or against the flanks of the tanks? And of the III's and IV's present, how many were the uparmored beasts like the M and H varients? only those particular's would give the 34 big problems with it's basic ammo. (even at 200yards a Pz IVh is very tough for a 76to punch through) Add Tiger's and worse, Panthers to the mix and now the Russians found themselves in the German's position from 41 through a good portion of 42, faced with enemy tank types that increasingly made the main gun of their entire tank arm ineffective requireing the use of mass to overcome it. Enter the T-34/85, the answer to the Mark IV upgrades and to a lesser extent the Tiger and Panther. The 85mm revitalized a nearly 3.5 - 4 year old tank design (old in terms of actual warfare) and allowed the tank to re-take on the still primary battle tank of the German army at standard to long battle ranges on equal terms more or less (Mark IV), and even gave it a chance against the Tiger with it's formidably thick but reletively unsloped hide. (which considering the Tiger is a heavy tank, meant to fight other heavy tanks does'nt speak ill of the T-34, the real answer to a heavy like the Tiger is another heavy! (IS series) Panther was more of a problem in a way, with it's thick 'and' well sloped glasis but at there's a bonus at least. It's a big tank which presents a potentially big flank shot easily penetrable by the new 85. So the Germans even with 7.0 ar'nt uber at least. Tougher, yes, but not uber. [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 25
- 12/18/2001 12:47:00 PM   
pax27

After reading through all the and off this thread I still come to the conclusion that, unless your a bit at something or feel , the guys at Matrix has made another improvement to an already great game. Just wanted to tell you guys how much I love you. Really!

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 26
- 12/18/2001 6:18:00 PM   
Don Doom

quote:

Originally posted by Nikademus:
I just recalled something else that probably should be mentioned. When bereft of APCR ammo, both versions of the 50mm will be hard pressed to penetrate the T-34 along it's still formidably well sloped front "Hull" Though the recent 'balistical' adjustment shaved off a good 25-30mm worth of equiv zero degree armor thickness, the average result still falls around 106-110mm of equiv armor. Unless a "vulnerable location" hit is scored, simming a hit on the machine gun mantlet, the driver's plate or just a plain flaw in the armor itself, both guns, even with their upgraded stats cant punch through the armor as they peak at 77 and 97mm respectively assuming a near perpendicular shot. That leaves only the special and rarer APCR rounds which even then might still skip off thanks to the slope and WAW's excellent detail level. Thus, only the less well sloped frontal turrets remain vulnerable. True you can argue 50% chance of hitting (and pen) the turret is alot but keep in mind the historical precedence. The Germans needed a gun that could effectively take out a 34 (or a KV, which all around remains very tough for the Pz-III series to take without special ammo) at a longer range and with a far more effective chance than meerly 50% (or less). 'Thats' the reason why the 50mm, and the Mark III eventually lost it's role as MBT in the German army, not because the 50mm was 'totally' ineffective against uber T-34 and KV tanks, but because it was'nt "effective enough" to give the Germans a comfortable margin of superiority. In fact it was the opposite, at least until the advent of much more heavily armored varients like the Ausf M for the Mark III and the Aufs G and H for the Mark IV. In the case of the Pz-III all that additional armor benefited the Germans little if the tank gun they carried required them to get as close as 400yards or less for their gun to have a decent frontal arc chance to knock out a 34. The Germans needed a far more effective balance tipper, and found it in the form of the uparmored and upgunned Mark IV, regaining for them battlefield superiority at least in straight shoot out terms, especially if the Germans were on the defense, which by 43 they were more and more on with the sole exception of the Kursk offensive. A tank of course is not simply gun and armor though, its also mobility and reliability. The T-34 still retains it's mobility edge which neither the Mark III or IV could ever fully match, which again is the reason for the genesis of the Mark V...a tank purpose built to beat the T-34 in all three major catagories, Mobility, firepower, and protection. So has the T-34 and KV really been disadvantaged? or simply brought down to earth so to speak? there remain some questions about the downgraded gun stats i'll admit. What would help here is some data from the best real life example we have, Kursk, both historical and player data from the Kursk scenerio. How are Tigers being knocked out? Pz-III's IV's? Is it soley through luck or APCR? or can the 34's at least compete at close range? or against the flanks of the tanks? And of the III's and IV's present, how many were the uparmored beasts like the M and H varients? only those particular's would give the 34 big problems with it's basic ammo. (even at 200yards a Pz IVh is very tough for a 76to punch through) Add Tiger's and worse, Panthers to the mix and now the Russians found themselves in the German's position from 41 through a good portion of 42, faced with enemy tank types that increasingly made the main gun of their entire tank arm ineffective requireing the use of mass to overcome it. Enter the T-34/85, the answer to the Mark IV upgrades and to a lesser extent the Tiger and Panther. The 85mm revitalized a nearly 3.5 - 4 year old tank design (old in terms of actual warfare) and allowed the tank to re-take on the still primary battle tank of the German army at standard to long battle ranges on equal terms more or less (Mark IV), and even gave it a chance against the Tiger with it's formidably thick but reletively unsloped hide. (which considering the Tiger is a heavy tank, meant to fight other heavy tanks does'nt speak ill of the T-34, the real answer to a heavy like the Tiger is another heavy! (IS series) Panther was more of a problem in a way, with it's thick 'and' well sloped glasis but at there's a bonus at least. It's a big tank which presents a potentially big flank shot easily penetrable by the new 85. So the Germans even with 7.0 ar'nt uber at least. Tougher, yes, but not uber. [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ] [ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ]
This say's it all.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 27
- 12/18/2001 8:27:00 PM   
asgrrr

I have just put a message on the V7 discussion thread on the OOB/TOE forum that may be of interest. I suggest we move this discussion there.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 28
- 12/18/2001 8:58:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I think its possible to over analyse anything to death. Yesterday my green schmuck american forces ran off three Tigers and they only got two of my shermans. I was able to blast one of theirs before they ran off too. Of course the 155 arty coming down like rain might have helped I guess. And them Tigers werent alone either. Place was crawling with Panzer IVs and they were blasting me with Brummbars as well. And all I had was 4 shermans near or on the hill with 4 infantry units. And I use only the unaltered settings with my games. Whittmans Tiger might look like the hand of god in Whittmans Gamble, but otherwise I have yet to ever experience an invulnerable anything in this game.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 29
- 12/18/2001 10:31:00 PM   
Charles2222

Nikademus:
quote:

I would'nt go so far as to call the T-34/85 a "stopgap" anything. I mean, noone calls the Pz-IVH a stop-gap tank with it's potent new 75mm gun and uparmored snout. Instead its praisingly called the "backbone" of the Panzer divisions.
I'm probably not up to snuff on when technically one tank was a stop-gap, given my description of stop-gap, and when another was not, and I don't regard the PZIVH in such majestic terms either. Despite any prejudices which may have crept in, I've always considered the PZIVH as just a tank that evolved a bit and wasn't stop-gap necessarily, for one thing because it always up-armored and used the same gun. The T34/85 on the other hand did not up-armor and put in a larger gun, which to me qualifies as stop-gap, because it's my belief that it was built strictly as reaction to the Tiger. Maybe it's just my screwy logic, but to me a basic medium tank taking on a gun larger than 82mm is usually a stop-gap tank. True, the PZIVH was a reaction tank, it's just that it reacted "all the way around". So you see where I'm coming from? As I said, maybe it's screwy, but to me a medium or light tank assuming a gun uncharacteristicly large of the type, with very little or no armor upgrading is my definition of stop-gap (with of course the prerequisite of something coming along before it that was outclassing it considerably). Both the PZIVH and T34/85 were pretty much workhorses (although Panthers were produced in larger numbers once they got started) it's just that I regard the T34/85 as more stop-gap if you follow my logic.
quote:

As for taking on the Tiger. The new 34 was an attempt to address the "overall" problem plauging the Russian army in having the same aging and increasingly ineffective main tank gun arming both it's medium and heavy tanks. The KV-85 i'd call a stopgap since what the Russians needed for their own heavy tank was a bigger gun than a medium could carry, like the Tiger. Too, i always found it puzzeling that a medium tank like the 34 keeps always getting compared to the heavy tank Tiger. The two were in different leagues and in different catagories The 85mm was powerful enough though to keep even a heavy tank like the Tiger honest in it's dealings. No more ignoring the laws of tank tactics for that particular
In large part I agree. Where we differ is though the KVs wereup-gunned in reaction as well, I don't consider it stop-gap, because it did up-armor along with the gun,plus heavy tanks having 82mm or larger got to be fairly common. The T34/85 was even more stop-gap than most tanks I can thing of "because" it was a reaction to a class of tank that was in a heavier class (gunwise). How many medium tanks had 82mm or larger guns? Sure the PZIVH may had pierced quite a few KVs, and so the stop-gap was addressed with the same shell size, but it didn't step outside the boundaries that were fairly common for the type. Even the Panther, definitely a reaction tank, wasn't so much stop-gap as I see it, because it was an entirely new design, and also because though the gun was awesome, it didn't get larger than was common for a medium class tank. I hope I'm making sense here. [ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Is v7.0's Tiger invincible? PBM for test it Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI