Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Action pic !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Action pic ! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 3:39:02 AM   
Raverdave

This is a great pic !

Attachment (1)

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Post #: 1
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 4:12:07 AM   
EricGuitarJames

Pilot to Tower 'Man, that special vindaloo curry was hot'

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 2
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 6:20:36 AM   
marky

or maybe he just had the chili........

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 3
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 7:17:28 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Wow..what happened. It looks like something is missing from his left wingtip. Thunderbird show I take it?

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 4
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 7:42:52 AM   
Raverdave

Here are a few more..........................enjoy!

Attachment (3)

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 5
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 7:51:35 AM   
Raverdave

Any ATCO's here want to tell me what seperation is for these puppies?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 6
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 8:57:49 AM   
marky

speaking of airshows

theres 1 in sother eastern wisconisn soon i think

i know it has a website, but i cant remember it

does anyone know?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 7
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 6:57:46 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Wow..what happened. It looks like something is missing from his left wingtip. Thunderbird show I take it?

Yes, a year or so ago. This guy started a loop (Immelman to be correct) at too low an altitude and couldn't pull out. Plane crashed, he survived.

For those who haven't tried "punching out" of an aircraft, I don't recommend it.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 8
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 7:25:37 PM   
Belisarius

Beat me to it, Lava.

Is pulling out WAY too close to the ground. *smack* I guess it took either giant brass ones, or a lot of hesitation, for him to wait so long before blowing the top. He must've realized it long before.

Got StuG?

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 9
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 7:34:26 PM   
Belisarius

Ahahah forgot to add: The picture on the C-17 going in (or out?!) is priceless. Wouldn't be much if it wasn't for all the engineers all looking at it with a "WHAT THE...?" kind of posture.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 10
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 8:24:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

quote:

Yes, a year or so ago. This guy started a loop (Immelman to be correct) at too low an altitude and couldn't pull out. Plane crashed, he survived.

For those who haven't tried "punching out" of an aircraft, I don't recommend it.

Ray (alias Lava)

I was at an air show at MCAS El Toro some years back when an F-18 pilot doing a solo display pulled this incredibly tight inside loop right on the deck..I was thinking.."Jeez..that is one amazing machine..how is that going to work." Then he gets to the top of his loop and I'm thinking "man..that thing is barely moving"..then he gets to 3/4 position..nose up..full afterburners..but just kind of hovering. At that point there was a collective "Oh Sh*t" from the crowd and he pancaked into the runway. He survived with back injuries.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 11
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 9:36:11 PM   
max_h

I just love the video clips here: http://www.panzerlexikon.de/

(site in german, sorry)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 12
RE: Action pic ! - 6/18/2004 9:43:09 PM   
brent_2

There is a free airshow at Pittsburgh Intl this weekend - 911th airlift wing is doing the "wings over pittsburgh" for the first time in a few years (they've been kinda busy...)

I hope to get out there and waste some film

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

(in reply to max_h)
Post #: 13
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 2:22:46 AM   
MCKClaudi

Cool pics. Here is a Tomcat REAL close:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to brent_2)
Post #: 14
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 2:40:59 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

Is pulling out WAY too close to the ground. *smack* I guess it took either giant brass ones, or a lot of hesitation, for him to wait so long before blowing the top. He must've realized it long before.

See the condensation above the wings? That guy was pulling so hard on the stick it probably broke off. I believe he also got kicked off the team.

Any of you guys remember when the entire thunderbird team planted itself into the ground in tight formation? Now that's called concentration! The Italian air display team did the same thing once, except they flew into the side of a mountain.

@MCKClaudi.. THATS A GREAT SHOT! GO NAVY!

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 15
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 3:29:21 AM   
EricGuitarJames

quote:

@MCKClaudi.. THATS A GREAT SHOT! GO NAVY!

Ray (alias Lava)

It's the guy casually standing there with his hands clasped behind his back that gets me. It's almost a 'Oh God, here we go again, another flyboy who thinks he's in Top Gun'

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 16
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 6:47:12 PM   
CCB

quote:

ORIGINAL: MCKClaudi

I think this is a 'doctored' photo. US Navy pilots are too professional to pull such a stunt. It only happens in the movies.

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to MCKClaudi)
Post #: 17
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 7:18:13 PM   
Stavka_lite

quote:

ORIGINAL: CCB

quote:

I think this is a 'doctored' photo. US Navy pilots are too professional to pull such a stunt. It only happens in the movies.

I don't know, Navy pilots just love buzzing ships to prove that they are hot$h!t. and F-14s are not small aircraft. They are roughly twice the size of a F-16.

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!

(in reply to CCB)
Post #: 18
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 7:31:28 PM   
*Lava*

Hi!

Actually "fly bys" are fairly routine at sea. Permission to execute a fly by is given by "the boss" (the guy in the tower). Considering the height of a modern Nimitz Class this guy would be at least 100 feet above the sea (not unreasonable). It is the proximity to the ship and the bank of the aircraft which would have got this guy in trouble.

In my day I have participated in "fly bys" over "small boys" (destroyers), after simulating attacks where we were so low that I thought we were going to hit a mast!

Indeed, Navy pilots are very perfessional, and some of the best in the world. As a Bombardier-Navigator in A-6 Intruders, I still have greet admiration for these pilots who routinely plunck these screeming metal machines on postage stamps, in any weather, day or night.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 19
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 7:50:02 PM   
mavraam

quote:

I don't know, Navy pilots just love buzzing ships to prove that they are hot$h!t. and F-14s are not small aircraft. They are roughly twice the size of a F-16.

I'll never forget the first time I saw an F-15 Eagle (which I believe is about the same size as an F-14) parked at MSP (Minneapolis -St. Paul Airport). It was during Desert Storm.

It blew my mind how fricken huge it was!

It looked more like a bomber to me than a fighter. Hard to believe they have that much plane for one fighter. Hate to be the poor slob in an enemy aircraft seeing that thing coming after me!

Years earlier, I had seen an F-104 Starfighter parked in a mall parking lot. That think looked like a toy compared to an F-15.

< Message edited by mavraam -- 6/19/2004 5:50:19 PM >

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 20
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 8:38:53 PM   
Slick91

quote:

quote:

Ray (alias Lava)

I remember hearing about the investigation, which was determined to be pilot error.

While doing the preflight check, the pilot forgot to set his altimeter from sea level to real ground level (I forgot the actual pilot lingo used).

Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 21
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 8:51:24 PM   
brent_2

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

quote:

I'll never forget the first time I saw an F-15 Eagle (which I believe is about the same size as an F-14) parked at MSP (Minneapolis -St. Paul Airport). It was during Desert Storm.

It blew my mind how fricken huge it was!

It looked more like a bomber to me than a fighter. Hard to believe they have that much plane for one fighter. Hate to be the poor slob in an enemy aircraft seeing that thing coming after me!

Years earlier, I had seen an F-104 Starfighter parked in a mall parking lot. That think looked like a toy compared to an F-15.

An F-15 and P-51 did a joint fly-by this morning at the Pittsburgh air show, wow! talk about size difference....I have to apologize though...I was too busy gawking to remember to get a picture.....

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 22
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 8:51:40 PM   
Slick91

quote:

ORIGINAL: CCB

quote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong! It is a real photo; only the yellow caption is doctored.

I don’t know how many times I've had to prove this.

The pilot’s name is Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass:

http://www.f-14association.com/stories-08.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~clansnodgrass/snort.html

quote:

Capt. Dale “Snort” Snodgrass

“It's not risky at all with practice…it was my opening pass to a Tomcat tactical demonstration at sea. I started from the starboard rear quarter of the ship, at or slightly below flight deck level. Airspeed was at about 250 knots with the wings swept forward. I selected afterburner at about 1/2 mile behind and the aircraft accelerated to about 325-330 knots. As I approached the ship, I rolled into an 85 degree angle of bank and did a 2-3 g turn, finishing about 10- 20 degrees off of the ship's axis. It was a very dramatic and, in my opinion, a very cool way to start a carrier demo. The photo was taken by an Aviation Boson's Mate who worked the flight deck on the USS America. Just as an aside...the individual with his arms behind his back is Admiral Jay Johnson, the immediate past Chief of Naval Operations for the Navy.”

Do I have to do all the research for this forum?

< Message edited by Slick91 -- 6/19/2004 2:01:33 PM >

Slick
-John Wayne

(in reply to CCB)
Post #: 23
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 9:01:02 PM   
Slick91

quote:

Any of you guys remember when the entire thunderbird team planted itself into the ground in tight formation? Now that's called concentration!

I remember that accident also. The last plane in the formation was able to pull out in time. I think it was the Thunderbird’s worst accident in their history.

Slick
-John Wayne

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 24
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 9:03:09 PM   
brent_2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick91

quote:

Any of you guys remember when the entire thunderbird team planted itself into the ground in tight formation? Now that's called concentration!

I remember that accident also. The last plane in the formation was able to pull out in time. I think it was the Thunderbird’s worst accident in their history.

I would hope so!

CSO_Brent

(in reply to Slick91)
Post #: 25
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 9:11:28 PM   
Slick91

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ray (alias Lava)

I remember hearing about the investigation, which was determined to be pilot error.

While doing the preflight check, the pilot forgot to set his altimeter from sea level to real ground level (I forgot the actual pilot lingo used).

Article regarding the release of the Accident Report.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_news_article968.html

Slick
-John Wayne

(in reply to Slick91)
Post #: 26
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 10:37:00 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

Yep, now that you mention it, I remember it too. It had to do with his altimeter setting, making him believe he was higher than what he was when he initiated the maneuver.

@Slick91 thanks for the link. Old brains starting to lose it. Yep, the maneuver is called a split S. (One reason why I was a bombardier and not a pilot. ) And the fact that it occurred at Nellis was relevent as well.

Ray (alias Lava)

P.S. My view from the right hand seat:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lava -- 6/19/2004 8:54:07 PM >

(in reply to Slick91)
Post #: 27
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 11:38:16 PM   
*Lava*

Hi!

No wonder he was only grounded for 30 days... this guy is what we called a "golden boy." From the F-14 association link provided by Slick91:

"Capt. Snodgrass' Tomcat career spanned a quarter of a century and allowed him to become the high time Tomcat Pilot with over 4800 hours in type and 1200 plus arrested landings. Squadron tours included VF-124 (initial Training), VF-142, VF-101 (Instructor), VF-41 (CAG LSO), VF-43 (Adversary Pilot), VF-143, VF-101 (XO/Instructor), VF-33 (XO/CO). As Commanding Officer of VF-33 he lead the squadron in combat during Desert Storm. His combat sorties included leading 34 strikes into western and central Iraq. In 1994 he took Command of Fighter Wing Atlantic and the NAS Oceana based F-14 Squadrons. In 1995 the West Coast based Squadrons were single sited to Oceana and he gained Command of the entire Tomcat Community."

1,200 traps... Darn.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Slick91)
Post #: 28
RE: Action pic ! - 6/19/2004 11:48:13 PM   
Paul Vebber

Hey ray, your presence is requested over at the Steakhouse. I know I dropped synch on you before...but hey there is thread over there of people asking if you are going to drop by. The new AoW over there would not be complete witoutcha!

http://prochelo.com/stl-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/19/2004 4:50:26 PM >

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 29
RE: Action pic ! - 6/20/2004 3:40:33 AM   
*Lava*

Hi Paul!

Actually, I have the Steakhouse on my favorites list and have been doing some "lurking" there.

Noticed the thread "Where is Ray AKA Lava." I'm still suffering a little "battle fatigue" from Matrix's AoW section..

Wouldn't be surprised if "Lava" checks into the Steakhouse in the near future...

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Action pic ! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI