Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game crash Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game crash - 6/27/2004 11:55:05 PM   
wallace18

I am having a problem trying to open the American ship details. No matter which ship I click on, be it a carrier to set the wing orders, or a lowly destroyer, I get the same result...a crash to the desktop. I don't seem to have this problem with the Japanese forces. Any suggestions out there?
Post #: 1
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 12:03:28 AM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: wallace18

I am having a problem trying to open the American ship details. No matter which ship I click on, be it a carrier to set the wing orders, or a lowly destroyer, I get the same result...a crash to the desktop. I don't seem to have this problem with the Japanese forces. Any suggestions out there?

I'll beat the testers to the punch... We'll need something on your system specifications to help...

XP/ME/98SE, etc... PC, RAM, sound card, etc... List it all. More info makes it easier... Without that there's no way to know for sure whats up.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to wallace18)
Post #: 2
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 12:23:36 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

This specifically Scenario #1?

(in reply to wallace18)
Post #: 3
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 12:59:36 AM   
Topper

This is also happening to me. It happens in scenario 1 (tutorial) but so far has not happened for scenario 3.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 1:26:12 AM   
GBirkn

Same here. Clicking on the name of a US ship in the tutorial immediately crashes the game to the desktop.

I've also seen some odd data displayed in the tutorial, as when setting an air group to a mission that calls for a target to be selected (airfield attack, for example), the default target is sometimes displayed as hex "-1, -1". (This has been for Japan only, I haven't looked for it in the US side.) Neither of these problems has shown up for me in any of the other scenarios I've tried.

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman

(in reply to Topper)
Post #: 5
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 5:41:09 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

The game is trying to play a sound file. Make sure you have the latest driver for your sound card and DirectX 8.0+ installed. See sound file problems, here, in the forum for more.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

< Message edited by Mike Wood -- 6/29/2004 10:54:31 AM >

(in reply to wallace18)
Post #: 6
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 6:18:07 AM   
freeboy

Mike,
Could a work around be to turn off the sound?

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 7
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 8:39:41 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

No. The sound calls are still made. You could rename the 'SOUND" directory something like, "NOTSOUND". That way it would not crash, but you would have no sound.

Good Luck...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Mike,
Could a work around be to turn off the sound?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 8:46:41 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

The game is trying to play a sound file. Make sure you have the latest driver for your sound card and DirectX 9.2 installed. See sound file problems, here, in the forum for more.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

Good God, DirectX.....again. A genre that has NO NEED to EVER use a Direct X API? Do you people use this because your programmers feel it is an essential skill needed for resumes or something????

DirectX.....gotta a LUV IT!!!! Jeez....

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 9
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 10:54:02 AM   
kev_uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

Hello...

The game is trying to play a sound file. Make sure you have the latest driver for your sound card and DirectX 9.2 installed. See sound file problems, here, in the forum for more.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

Good God, DirectX.....again. A genre that has NO NEED to EVER use a Direct X API? Do you people use this because your programmers feel it is an essential skill needed for resumes or something????

Why dont you design the game then?

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 10
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 11:23:19 AM   
Bane

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

Lol -- ain't that the truth!

Second to the Last Samurai...

"What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 11
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 11:43:01 AM   
freeboy

focus on the why direct x?.. not just your antipathy to the person

(in reply to Bane)
Post #: 12
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 3:17:33 PM   
Sonny

quote:

Hello...

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

On the box it says you need DirectX 8.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 13
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 4:03:40 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

The operating system needs DirectX 9.0c to be stable and hack free. Matrix doesn't need it, but your computer certainly does.

One thing to keep in mind: Your display and sound drivers *also* require DirectX for reasons that has nothing to do with the game.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 14
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 4:41:28 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

The operating system needs DirectX 9.0c to be stable and hack free. Matrix doesn't need it, but your computer certainly does.

One thing to keep in mind: Your display and sound drivers *also* require DirectX for reasons that has nothing to do with the game.

I have 9.0 (b I think). Didn't know about a c version - I'll check it out tonight.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 4:57:02 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

Hello...

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

I intend to, eventually. And I damned sure as hell would not use Direct X in a turn based wargame. I can play wav and mp3 files all day long without ever using an X call. Why does a turn based wargame EVER need direct access to hardware interrupts? Answer me that?

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 16
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 5:05:11 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

Say what? News to me. Maybe some OS addons like Media Player need Direct X but the base OS does not. Direct X is a MS libary set that gives developers direct access to the hardware interrupts with only a very thin API layer overlaying the driver. The parts of the base OS that access hardware do so directly using assembler calls, not Direct X calls. I sell sound enabled software all the time (softfphone apps, mostly) and I never require any kind of Direct X installation level.

But it always a good idea to keep all you system components up to date using Windows Update. That includes Direct X.....

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 17
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 5:06:50 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I intend to, eventually. And I damned sure as hell would not use Direct X in a turn based wargame. I can play wav and mp3 files all day long without ever using an X call. Why does a turn based wargame EVER need direct access to hardware interrupts? Answer me that?

Because it lifts the burden of support off the developer.

I write to DX, I don't have to give a rats arse about your hardware because it is abstracted. That was the whole purpose behind it. Separate the hardware guys from the software guys and make the driver guys actually accountable for something instead of the free ride they have had over the years.

As long as your driver conforms to the standards, things work. The problem is shifted from buggy software to buggy drivers and no longer does the developer have to deal with the fact that you bought xxy vs xxx vs xxz card which are all basically the same except for those critical engineering flaws that were patched.

The blame for crap is finally landing where it should! The computer hardware guys. For decades, the software guys have been getting the short end of the stick because of substandard hardware. DX cures that and puts the blame where it belongs.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 18
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 5:19:33 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

Because it lifts the burden of support off the developer.

I write to DX, I don't have to give a rats arse about your hardware because it is abstracted. That was the whole purpose behind it. Separate the hardware guys from the software guys and make the driver guys actually accountable for something instead of the free ride they have had over the years.

As long as your driver conforms to the standards, things work. The problem is shifted from buggy software to buggy drivers and no longer does the developer have to deal with the fact that you bought xxy vs xxx vs xxz card which are all basically the same except for those critical engineering flaws that were patched.

The blame for crap is finally landing where it should! The computer hardware guys. For decades, the software guys have been getting the short end of the stick because of substandard hardware. DX cures that and puts the blame where it belongs.

But you can access sound through the WIN32 API as well. And there is a very big difference in stability but at the price of performance. Using WIN32 calls to play .wav files and mp3's and such is a lot less dependent on sound driver stability. If sound is generally working on your PC, then it will work fine using Win32 API calls. Not so with Direct X. Same thing with video. I can render a Bitmap using Win32 calls to create a compatible memory device context, select my bitmap into it then Blit it to the output DC, or use DirectX calls to do the same thing at the pixel and direct hardware level. The former works if you can see your computer screen. The later only works if you video card driver is stable enough. The former is relatively slow, the latter is lightening quick.

The difference between the two is the level of abstraction and layers of API code between the application programmer and the hardware. Win32 is a very easy thing to use, Direct X is more complex. Each is suited best to a particular purpose. My stance is that Direct X is NOT well suited to the turn based wargame. Not at all. It is like driving in a thumptack with a pile driver...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 19
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 7:19:32 PM   
Speedysteve

Ok ok,

I haven't purchased yet but...........

I have an old machine - 3/4 years old - PII 233, 320MB RAM, GeForce2 400mmx graphics, SB sound card. I also don't currently have Internet at home.

My questions are:

1. Based on my specs does will trhe game run ok?

2. DX 9 - do I have to download this from the Web or it provided on the CD?

I'm hoping the answers to the above questions are positive after waiting for this game for a long time

Regards,

Steven

(in reply to wallace18)
Post #: 20
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 7:27:40 PM   
Mr.Frag

It may run, but it will be a pretty painful on a 233MHz machine. There is slow, and then there is really slow and then there is painful ...

Can you list any games you bought recently and installed? A fair number include the DirectX installation code on the CD so you might already have it.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 21
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 7:47:31 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

It is usually standard practice, that if a game requires a certain level of Direct X that a Direct X installation comes with the game on the installation CD. For those awaiting the boxed CD version are we saying that if it requires DirectX 9.x that a DirectX 9.x installation is not going to be on the CD??? That's pretty brutal...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 22
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 8:24:37 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

It is usually standard practice, that if a game requires a certain level of Direct X that a Direct X installation comes with the game on the installation CD. For those awaiting the boxed CD version are we saying that if it requires DirectX 9.x that a DirectX 9.x installation is not going to be on the CD??? That's pretty brutal...

As I have not seen anything, I really can't comment, but it seems to me a little silly to bundle the DirectX distribution with an Electronic download when it already comes from Windows Update or can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/directx

It is one thing to throw stuff like Adobe PDF Reader and DirectX on CD, it just seems stupid to stick it inside a digital download and increase peoples download for nothing when they probably already have it.

*WE* are not saying anything. *I* am.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 23
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 8:36:18 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

As I have not seen anything, I really can't comment, but it seems to me a little silly to bundle the DirectX distribution with an Electronic download when it already comes from Windows Update or can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/directx

It is one thing to throw stuff like Adobe PDF Reader and DirectX on CD, it just seems stupid to stick it inside a digital download and increase peoples download for nothing when they probably already have it.

*WE* are not saying anything. *I* am.

No problem there. There is an entirely different standard on DD stuff than there is on a CD. Some CD users, like the poster above, have NO internet access of any kind at home. Anything needed to run the game or view the documentation should be on a CD. But if someone is using DD then it is a fair assumption they have no problem using Window's Update to get the latest Direct X, and a quick download from Adobe for the PDF reader....

< Message edited by ZOOMIE1980 -- 6/28/2004 6:37:21 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 24
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 8:44:27 PM   
Pier5

I just updated DirectX directly from microsoft on my office computer, not that I would actually play WitP at work, of course. The download was 9.0b. What's with 9.0c? Are you sure?

Pier5

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 25
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 9:06:52 PM   
Mr.Frag

http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200406_windows.mspx

One day Microsoft will actually have *current* content on their pages and not make people run around, but really, their goal is to FORCE everyone to use www.windowsupdate.com for *everything* to make sure you don't miss anything.

< Message edited by Mr.Frag -- 6/28/2004 2:08:56 PM >

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 26
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 9:58:27 PM   
Pier5

I'm not sure where you're coming from on this. Your link and download number leads to a security download relating to directplay. As far as I can tell, the following applies to DirectX 9.0c: (a) It will be(is?) released as part of SP2. (b) SP2 has not yet been released, it is still a beta (c) Some people have ripped DirectX 9.0c from SP2 beta, but they have more disclaimers than we want to think about and recommend installation in safe mode. NO THANKS!

I use my computers both at home and at work in matters relating to starvation avoidance. If DirectX 9.0c is required for operation of WitP and my observations above are correct, you'll just have to keep it for a while.

Pier5

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 27
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 10:05:53 PM   
Mr.Frag

Nevermind, forgot I have SP2 installed here. The security fix also goes against .b

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 28
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 10:18:41 PM   
Pier5

OK, I'll bite. So how did you install SP2 if it hasn't been released yet? Perhaps you are a universal beta tester.

More to the point, is or is not DirectX 9.0c required for satisfactory operation of WitP, or will 9.0b get it done?

Pier5

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 29
RE: Game crash - 6/28/2004 10:21:04 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pier5

OK, I'll bite. So how did you install SP2 if it hasn't been released yet? Perhaps you are a universal beta tester.

More to the point, is or is not DirectX 9.0c required for satisfactory operation of WitP, or will 9.0b get it done?

Pier5

SP2 is available as a RC version (relesae candidate) since a few weeks allready.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 6/29/2004 3:21:33 AM >

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game crash Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI