Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hari-Kari?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hari-Kari? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hari-Kari? - 1/6/2002 1:49:00 AM   
tracer

I'm having a problem with JA INF units not op-firing vs adjacent armor...ever; it seems that once fired upon they simply 'die in place'. I understand JA INF have special characteristics in SPWAW (never retreat), but how do I get them to act like every other country's INF, that is, occaisionally fire back at armor if they have shots remaining? Notice I'm saying 'have shots remaining', so their supression is not very high. I've used them a number of times recently in PBEM games and noticed another odd tendency: they'll get suppressed to say 13 (status=pinned) and still have shots remaining; I'll hit the rally button and successfully reduce their suppression to 6 (or even down to 1): they now have *no* shots remaining. I even see this same behavior with engineers squads that have plenty of flame and satchel ammo left. Its like they're brave enough to not retreat, brave enough to rally, but suddenly have become pacifists and refuse to fire at the enemy I was playing a PBEM turn last night and had an Italian (i.e., less 'robust') INF unit that was routed and surrounded by INF and armor. After successfully (surprised!) rallying them they fired on and hit an adjacent tank; a couple units op-fired at them but I again successfully (really suprised!) rallied them and they had more shots...this never happens with JA INF. Am I maybe purchasing the wrong type of JA INF? Even though their weapons seem the same, are there some JA INF units that are better at dealing with enemy armor, say marines (SNLF) or A squads?

Jim NSB
Post #: 1
- 1/6/2002 4:43:00 AM   
Figmo

I've never had this problem and don't know that much about the JA infantry. But there are some real experts out there that will be testing this so I'll bump the thread up for you so they can reply. BUMP!!

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 2
- 1/6/2002 8:09:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

I'm playing PBEM with the japs but I'm still at v6.1 because some PBEM opponents didn't upgrade yet. Now I'll be very attentive to this thread.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 3
- 1/6/2002 9:08:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
I'm playing PBEM with the japs but I'm still at v6.1 because some PBEM opponents didn't upgrade yet. Now I'll be very attentive to this thread.
I saw the same things happen under 6.1, and I think an earlier version too. Not saying this is a problem, but if you are playing as the JA make sure you buy plenty of AT guns (the tank hunters always seem to be out of stock with rarity on). (and sorry about the spelling...I know now the correct way is 'Harry Carey')

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 4
- 1/6/2002 5:33:00 PM   
skukko

This behavior was found during tests that were run while 5.0 --7th versions were under work. It was noted and I quess that someone even tried to figure out what caused it. But No, we couldn't get rid of it. While Japs are in human hands they are most of the time ok. At AIs hands, well I am not first to start generated campaign against them... This was bloody question while Operation Watchtower was under design. I think we managed to go around this problems 98%. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 5
- 1/6/2002 8:42:00 PM   
ZinZan

ARRRRGGGHHHHHH is all I can say I am playing as Japanese on Combat Command and have just noticed this exact problem today. I am playing an opponent who is using a lot of armour and he is running tanks adjacent to my INF regularly now, I've never seen them OPfire once yet. It has played havoc with my tactics as I used engineers as my main line of defence once I realised how much armour he has. I have also noticed that the tank hunters don't OPfire either (and die really quick too). The downside to this is that the Japanese tanks seem quite poor (realistically so) and have zero to no chance vs the Shermans. I noted previously that the tanks and AT guns have very few shots (2 seems max) and seemingly recover suppression slower than the INF. Oh well, looks like there is very little we can do about it. Seems strange that it only affects Japanese INF, I would imagine this coding is identical to other nations. Though I know even less than my cat about game coding.

ZinZan <br/> Peace is an extension of war by political means. Plenty of elbow room is pleasanter - and much safer. <br/> Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 6
- 1/6/2002 11:32:00 PM   
tracer

Yup, I was wrong yesterday: this *IS* a problem. Today I'm playing the next turn of that PBEM game and things have degraded into the 'ridiculous' category. I have one SNLF squad that was fired on by a tank last turn from 2 hexes away and was heavily suppressed; due to drifting smoke it now has NO enemy within its LOS...I rallied it down to 1 but it has no shots and no movement. Had another with 1 tank adjacent to it and suppression of 14 (plenty of shots for all weapons)...clicked on the tank to have them fire at it (knew that they would not assault it): they did *not* fire, their suppression did not go up, but the tank op-fired at them. I guess I missed previous posts informing us that the JA INF was broken and should not be used. Also apologize to my opponents in the 2 PBEM games I set up involving JA troops: I'll set up new, non-JA battles and send them off today.

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 7
- 1/7/2002 4:52:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Thinking better, I think my SNLF* infantry didn't op-fire too against Sherman Flames but never noticed that ammo problem and I have many Tank Hunters and Suicide AT. Will try to be more attentive. But OK it is not a v7.0 problem. I'm more relaxed.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 8
- 1/7/2002 6:03:00 AM   
Lars

I've seen this happen with other units too. I've rallied them down to 1, but still they don't have any movement or shots to fire.
Then when I looked at their status (down in left hand corner), it said "retreating" instead of "redy", and when I finished my turn, they really did retreat. When it comes to JA INF they can't retreat, so the problem probably is more significant with these units. My units where German and when they had retreated they rallied back again, and I could use them normally again. I hope this can help you in any way
/Lars

:D Plays for fun! :cool:

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]
[img]http://www.redzoneforums.com/images/avatars/gia

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 9
- 1/7/2002 7:53:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Lars: I had some units retreating but they were in fire hexs. I rally them to 1 but they were still retreating.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 10
- 1/7/2002 10:24:00 PM   
lnp4668

Japanese units seems to sit and die in flame hex for some reason. Even if you rally them till suppression of 0, they still can't move or fire.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 11
- 1/7/2002 11:16:00 PM   
Lars

RTF: Yes that's exactly the problem... You push the rally-button and the suppression points decrease, but the point is; they don't change their stance.
When this happens to other units BUT Japanese, they retreat and regain their ready status.
The only thing that might help things up would be to move a HQ unit in to an adjacent hex. I haven't tried it, but it maybe can help rallying your unit even if it's in a hex on fire. /Lars

:D Plays for fun! :cool:

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]
[img]http://www.redzoneforums.com/images/avatars/gia

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hari-Kari? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI