Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Victory and Victory hexes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Victory and Victory hexes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Victory and Victory hexes - 5/25/2000 7:08:00 PM   
renwor

I would like to know, how much your strategies involve defending victory hexes? I noticed AI, when gains control of victory location and is set to advance, leaves quite a number of units wandering here and back, they even don't try to dig in. Just marching and marching .... With japs and their infantry army it's pretty obvious. Me on the other hand I usually find good defence locations and don't care much about enemy sneaking around and taking objectives behind my lines. All I try is to get enemy to "broken", then it's time to go offensive. But to hold objectives ... what a waste. Other thing would be, if victory hexes VPs would be cumulative ... lets say each turn 10 points but as it's eneough to hold all objectives only last turn, that's all I care about. Renwor

Post #: 1
- 5/25/2000 7:50:00 PM   
Larry Holt

It depends upon how much time I have in the game and what I want to do. In SPWAW, i've not needed the full time yet so I can mopp up on the AIP then collect the victory hexes at my leisure, no need to guard them. In SPWWII, sometimes I was hard pressed to get them all in time (assault across a river with only 300 support points was a tough one). The concept of victory hexes serves to orient the AIP and bring the forces together. If I want a head to head confontation, I guard them. If I want to maneuver, I don't bother. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 2
- 6/3/2000 4:46:00 AM   
Grumble

When I'm defending/delaying I use the Victory Hexes to determine the enemy's axes of advance. Knowing that, I can guess what the dominant terrain is and plan my defenses accordingly. Normally, I try to keep the Victory Hexes closest to the enemy setup area covered with anti-tank and anti-personnel fire; at least until I can identify the main thrust. At this point I fight according to the enemy's dispositions not the terrain, moving units around to counterattack.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 3
- 6/3/2000 5:09:00 AM   
victorhauser

Victory Hexes... I really like the idea of awarding points of the length of time held per victory hex. However, I don't know if it's possible to do elegantly though (I haven't thought about it long enough yet). Also, the AI is predictable. I think the "milling about the victory hexes" thing is a way for the AI add a degree of unpredictability (not that it seems to help much). From what I can tell, the AI doesn't seem to change formation objectives during a battle. Further, the AI doesn't seem to do a very good job when deciding whether to change to/from advance and defend modes. All these factors contribute to the way the AI handles Victory Hexes.

VAH

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 4
- 6/3/2000 2:31:00 PM   
Dean Robb

AI predictability: Ever notice that the AI will start it's counterattack when you take the first victory hex away from it? And it always counterattacks toward that victory hex. Just to play around, a few times I've *not* taken any of the AI's victory hexes until I had my defenses set up...then captured the hex and slaughtered the counterattack. :>

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 5
- 6/3/2000 10:11:00 PM   
Spunkgibbon

I rarely capture victory hexes until I've got a good defence/ambush set up either against the AI or in PBEM games. Seeing the flag switch to mine is too much of a giveaway of my location. Besides, seeing the enemy come charging in to capture victory hexes and run straight into a nasty surprise is always somehow satisfying... Occasionally I'll grab them with a single unit to lure the AI/other player away from somewhere else or to make the other player think that my main force is somewhere different. Spunkgibbon

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to renwor)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Victory and Victory hexes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI