Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry - 7/1/2004 10:40:17 PM   
Hertston

Just curious, guys. Your website describes the Thessalian cavalry as "heavy" ?

When I table-top gamed a Macedonian army (which was a while ago, I admit) it was a subject of debate as to whether the Thessalians were "light" or "medium". Companions in WRG were treated as "heavy", although the heavy/medium divide is certainly fairly loose in this case. I always played Thessalians as "light" though, as virtually everything I'd read took that view.

Has there been some new research in this area, or did you just pick one or the other ?

< Message edited by Hertston -- 7/2/2004 3:36:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry - 7/1/2004 11:10:40 PM   
Deride

Hertston,

Our research primarily showed that the Thessalian cavalry were medium to heavy as they were deployed on the left flank opposite Alexander. Their job was mainly defense, and that is how we would want a player to use them.

Deride

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 2
RE: Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry - 7/2/2004 12:14:14 AM   
koiosworks

Our description should probably be "Medium Cavalry" but we only have "Heavy" and "Light" as our two primary types of each unit (foot, cavalry etc...). In other words, we don't have 'medium' units. So we call the Thessalian "heavy" but in the game, they almost all have medium-grade armor (only some of the companion cav have heavy armor). In addition to Heavy and Medium classifications of units, we have Elite. That is reserved for the Immortals, Companions, Porus' guard etc... These are the tough as nails guys with the best gear and armor.

Thanks

ps. Units are classified as light or heavy. Light units can have None or Light armor. Heavy units can have Medium or Heavy armor.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry - 7/2/2004 6:01:02 AM   
Hertston

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Actually, it was because of their defensive role that I always favoured the light cavalry interpretation. Although Companions were not "heavy" in the sense of (say) Byzantine Cataphracts or late medieval knights I still think they were essentially a "one-use" offensive arm to be used at the decisive point in the battle. If the Thessalians were similarly equipped, I just don't see them as particularly well suited to sustained defence. Sure, they could have charged advancing infantry or counter-charged advancing medium cavalry but this would most likely have been against the enemy's best troops. Success would have been far from guaranteed, and failure would result in the pike phalanx being catastrophically flanked. A harassing/delaying role was more likely IMHO, to hold the enemy long enough for the Companions and phalanx to do their stuff.

I guess nobody will ever be sure one way or the other.

(in reply to koiosworks)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Anorak question - Thessalian cavalry Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI