Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mega camp Desert Fox trouble...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega camp Desert Fox trouble... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mega camp Desert Fox trouble... - 1/16/2002 3:53:00 AM   
MirageG3

Hi there! Discovered SP:WAW a couple of weeks ago bought DF almost right away, and it´s been really good so far, have played approx 6-7 battles in the campaign. However, in the last few scenarios I didn´t have my entire core force around, and when they returned for my current battle their stat´s seem a bit screwed...no leader names, ranks and and all skills (rally etc.) are either 0 or around 10-15. I tried to edit the .sav file with Chlanda´s editor but I couldn´t see any difference in the game. Anybody know of a fix for this? I using win 2000 and SP:WaW 7.0, perhaps not the best combination for "MC: Desert Fox"... Oh, and I´d like to try my hands at a PBEM too, if someones interested.

Post #: 1
- 1/16/2002 5:35:00 AM   
Supervisor

First off welcome aboard. Try deleteing the steel.prf file within the SPWAW/save folder (don't worry the game will recreate it) restart the game and then in you preferences turn off Command and Control(C&C), this has posed problems for gamers in MegaCampaigns on OS's higher than Win 98 SE. If no luck try running the game directly from the mech.exe file, this bypasses the autorun menu which has also caused some grief.

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 2
- 1/16/2002 10:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Great advice, Mike. You have the routine down to a science! Yes, some are not aware and others sometimes don't remember that what we have in SPWAW (and therefore Megacampaigns) is an original game that we have adorned, equipped, modified, changed, revised until the old girl tends to get the hiccups sometimes. That being the case, we give her a glass of water, and the water you prescribed will probably cure these ills. Remember also, Mirage, save as you go. Save at the beginning of each battle. Those who have been around me long enough know that "Save!" is one of my favorite, most repeated words in my gaming experience. Save, save, save. This will in turn "save" you and so many others a lot of grief, pain and frustration. Let us know if the suggestions of Gmenfan help your situation. Good hunting in the desert! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 3
- 1/16/2002 7:39:00 PM   
MirageG3

Oh, I´ve already tried the "steel.prf" cure. All it does for me is that I have to reset my preferences. Fortunately, I´ve been backing up my megacam saves right after every battle (Alt+tab out of SPWAW and copying the files to a new folder). The funny thing with those backups is that they seem to automatically choose option two for the next scenario (so i´m back at Agedabia right now to get my iron cross again with some extra flak´s I don´t really care for ). Ah well...time to install good ol´ windows 98se again to see if it agrees more with the Afrika Korps than win2k does. But I´ll probably stay away from C&C in the desert anyway, peeking out of cover to blast a couple of holes in those cruiser tanks, back away and move to a new firing posititon have already saved my skin more than once. Even if it feels a bit silly when my FO plots 8 different arty/mortar/air strikes in a couple of minutes. Now if I could just edit my Tank coy to recon status, I´d love to go back to C&C again... Anyway, I´ve ordering "watchtower" and "lost victories" right now(and rereading Manstein´s "lost victories" to get in the mood) so all my tactical needs will probably be well satisfied until CL arrives.

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 4
- 1/17/2002 1:55:00 PM   
Wild Bill

The problem is not in the Mega Campaign itself, Mirage so I can't help you there. It is in the game itself OR it is in Win2K. I'm not saying that to shift any guilt or blame but others with 2K have had problems too. With Win98, I've never seen it and I played through MC-DF five times completely, just to make sure before we sent it out. Six months ago I had it pretty well memorized after working on it for so long... Let us know if Win98 is any better for you.
Sorry you experienced this. WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 5
- 1/19/2002 9:27:00 AM   
MirageG3

OK, I´ve installed win98 and played around a bit with my backup saves while setting all my preferences at 250% and the english at 30% while rushing trough the scenarios I´d already played looking for the bug. Sometimes (4-5 times in approx. 20 battles played)
a bug where I´d get a units info regardless of what button I click while pointing at it occurred, and at the same time the enemy units looked as if the "Limited Info" pref was turned off, while in fact it was on. If I exited (and autosaved) then, the save would be corrupted and the core forces not present at the actual battle would be really strange the next time they came back. But now I´m happily back in the loop and can start playing seriously again (the intel says that Bir el Tengedor probably is deserted, but I´ll believe that when I see it myself...) I´m really glad I discovered SPWAW, haven´t really played anything else since. Great work Matrix, Bill and everbody else involved. My upcoming exams aren´t as thrilling though, Medical school and SPWAW don´t match

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 6
- 1/19/2002 10:20:00 AM   
Wild Bill

That is the big difference between "have to" and "want to" Thanks, Mirage. Its our pleasure. Your words of encouragement are much appreciated. Good luck on the exams and good luck at Bir el Tengedor. Don't ever believe military intel Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 7
- 1/19/2002 10:22:00 AM   
bchapman

Mirage G3,
If you would like to try a PBEM game, send me an email at [email]brchapman@1starnet.com[/email] . I will see if we can get you started on the "Best" feature of SPWAW.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to MirageG3)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega camp Desert Fox trouble... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI