Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground Unit movement is still buggy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Ground Unit movement is still buggy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground Unit movement is still buggy - 8/7/2004 4:02:32 AM   
Gray_Lensman

While playing a scenario 16 single player game as the Allies, I attempted to give the ENG unit (3rd ISF Base Force) at Khota Bharu (hex 24,45).

I first tried to order the unit to the adjacent coastal hex (hex 25,46). This move was not allowed.

Instead I ordered the same unit overland to Taiping (hex 23,45).

Two turns later, the unit shows up in the coastal hex (hex 25,46), enroute to Taiping via the road network.

This is ridiculous. If the unit can't be ordered to move there, then it should not be able to move into/thru that same hex enroute to another destination. Obviously, great emphasis was given to the Naval portion of the programming, but very little testing was done with the land combat/movement portion of the game. The designers need to concentrate on this flaw.

There have been several bugs noted in this forum, most of which can be worked around with common sense using house rules or your own sense of fair play via the AI, however these movement rule flaws are deeper. and need to be worked out and tested thorougly, before releasing upgrades that supposedly fix them.

In my opinion this is potentially the best computer War in the Pacific game that I have have seen, but note the operative word is "potentially". I like this game, so I am going to continue to play and experiment with it, but full enjoyment will only come with the elimination of these major movement bugs.
Post #: 1
RE: Ground Unit movement is still buggy - 8/7/2004 4:17:13 AM   
netjam99

Thats not a bug...its game design based on real history. Takes forever for ground units to slog through the jungle...and that movement is very costly since the men get worn down by Malaria, low supplies, etc. If you actually click on the unit and look through the fine print over to the right you will see a stat that tells you how many miles your men have traveled. They are actually moving...but its just a few miles a day. It took my Chinese Divisions over a month to slog through 4 jungle hexes on a trail for example.

By the way don't get confused by the brown looking roads...those are just trails. Imagine a division or brigade moving down a 3 foot wide trail in the jungle and you start to get the idea on the difficulty of movement.

S!

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 2
RE: Ground Unit movement is still buggy - 8/7/2004 4:21:09 AM   
moses

I tried to raise this issue some time ago but could not be understood. You will only be allowed to go from Khota Bharu to Taiping via the road/rail route because the program view this as the fastest route. When you plot this unit to move west you can click on your unit and you will see that it is headed SE. There is apparently no way to avoid this.

The real fun begins when the hexes on the road/rail route are occupied by enemy units. You still will not be allowed to take the overland route Taipng. To get there you will have to go through the enemy occupied hexes.

I've had similar problems in the area of Rangoon where reasonable and essential ground movement paths are not allowed.

Post #: 3
RE: Ground Unit movement is still buggy - 8/7/2004 4:33:55 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: netjam99

Thats not a bug...its game design based on real history. Takes forever for ground units to slog through the jungle...and that movement is very costly since the men get worn down by Malaria, low supplies, etc. If you actually click on the unit and look through the fine print over to the right you will see a stat that tells you how many miles your men have traveled. They are actually moving...but its just a few miles a day. It took my Chinese Divisions over a month to slog through 4 jungle hexes on a trail for example.

By the way don't get confused by the brown looking roads...those are just trails. Imagine a division or brigade moving down a 3 foot wide trail in the jungle and you start to get the idea on the difficulty of movement.

S!

If you read what I stated you would notice that I tried originally to give the unit the order to move to the hex that was not allowed. Then the game programming proceeded to allow that unit to move there anyway. That is the ambiguity I am talking about, and that is what needs to be corrected.

(in reply to netjam99)
Post #: 4
RE: Ground Unit movement is still buggy - 8/7/2004 5:29:17 AM   
Alexander Seil

Does seem like a bug or a serious design flaw. Why not report this in the bug forum?

Post #: 5
RE: Ground Unit movement is still buggy - 8/7/2004 6:00:48 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alexander Seil

Does seem like a bug or a serious design flaw. Why not report this in the bug forum?

You have a good point, unfortunately, I made the post here, since this is where I have been hanging out, and I don't wanting to double post. Maybe the forum "watchers" for lack of a better word, could move this thread to where it more appropriately belongs.

(in reply to Alexander Seil)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Ground Unit movement is still buggy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI