Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM questions -- is it worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM questions -- is it worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM questions -- is it worth it? - 2/6/2002 2:23:00 AM   
campekenobi

Hi, I'm interested in playing an on line (e-mail) game of SPWaW. I have a few questions though: 1) what's the best site for active players & gaming? (I don't want slow, stretched out games, I want a turn per day or 2 days kind of thing). 2) I once played w/ a friend & found it's easy to 'cheat' by doing your turn & not liking the results so you do it over... is there any way to PREVENT this kind of action? (I hope so) 3) I saw one site that had hexes controlled by individual people (like many people involved in the same game) -- that looks real confusing, is that how most people play? Thanks!

Post #: 1
- 2/6/2002 3:13:00 AM   
lnp4668

1. Checks out these 2 sites:
http://www.militarygamer.net/CombatCommand/index.asp http://www.theblitz.org They have good tournament and ladder to play 2. I don't thinks so. Just have to trust your opponents I guess 3. The site you refer to maybe Double Deuce's tournament where the game is play on a strategic map, then go to resolve battle using spwaw. And no, most email games are just 1 on 1.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to campekenobi)
Post #: 2
- 2/6/2002 4:59:00 AM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
2) I once played w/ a friend & found it's easy to 'cheat' by doing your turn & not liking the results so you do it over... is there any way to PREVENT this kind of action? (I hope so)

I only PBEM, and if you have a good friend that does not cheat, and most importantly, if YOU don't cheat, then it can be very fun. It is quite easy to know if your opponent is cheating. Simply if he does not make mistakes and knows too well where your units, then he is cheating. It is possibly to cheat in most turn based games. The only games that do not allow cheating are those where the moves are made at the same time, and then the computer calculates the result, and you view the replay. Combat Mission is a good example, and so are many other space strategy games (Stars, Space Empires, etc).

Post #: 3
- 2/6/2002 9:59:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

(snip) I once played w/ a friend & found it's easy to 'cheat' by doing your turn & not liking the results so you do it over... is there any way to PREVENT this kind of action? (I hope so)
[/QB]
If you tried this you would get a 'security violation' and your opponent would know. But, like anything computer-related, I'm sure there's a way around it. I've played alot of PBEM and have never encountered anyone I even suspected of cheating....what's the point?

Jim NSB

Post #: 4
- 2/6/2002 10:14:00 AM   
Galka

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
If you tried this you would get a 'security violation' and your opponent would know. But, like anything computer-related, I'm sure there's a way around it. I've played alot of PBEM and have never encountered anyone I even suspected of cheating....what's the point?
Well , it still is easy to cheat, and cheats do exist. Thankfully they are not as prevelent as they were in previous version of the game. Why people cheat is anyones guess. Chances are you're going to find some fine players playing PBEM, and with time you'll discover a few cheats too. Yes, it's well worth the effort to PBEM, I believe, but don't neglect online play too. It's almost a different game.

"In light of my experience, I consider that your conclusion that the attacker needs a three to one superiority is under the mark, rather than over it. I would say that, for success, the attacker needs six to one or seven to one against a well-knit defence

Post #: 5
- 2/6/2002 10:56:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
Exactly. But when some one slids around 4 mine fields, then goes thru the only blind spot of your Pak front and pulls up next to your A0 unit and blows it away, one does wonder. There is a way to tell how many times you opponent has saved and loaded since the game started, so if he is 'replaying' the turn to get better results it will show something like 8 saves 16 loads on turn 8. Of course, you can always reload from the .zip file without changing the load counter. There is such a wide range of variables that I'm not sure it makes any difference in the long run. This method can be used to produce first shots( the first shot you see on your replay), that always hit. Just keep reloading and replaying untill you get what you want. Cheaters are just cheating themselves. This has been true since the day after the first game was invented. I figure it took someone at least a day to figure out how to cheat at it. When You think it's happening, say something. At the worst you just have to find another player, at best you will learn a new technique. I love working my scouts, I don't care much if I win or lose, My personal goal is to get a scout unit to either the 0 column or the 99 column. I use a slot to build my LO(loyal oppostions) OOB. In most PBEM games, I have 90% of my LO's force figured out by turn 10. So I get accused of 'flooding' quite a bit. I just give up my password and my list of what units I spotted and what turn I spotted them. Then we start a new game.
T. (BTW 'flooding is where you buy a company of armored cars, or something else fast , and line them up wheel-to-wheel and send them off in a charge of the light brigade. Make a note of what kills them and where it is, then reload the game from the zip file and start again. do this all the way across the map, and you can move with some confidence. Some, because there is a way to set traps for guys doing this. Which is way fun!!).

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

Post #: 6
- 2/6/2002 7:26:00 PM   
campekenobi

quote:

Originally posted by Galka:

Yes, it's well worth the effort to PBEM, I believe, but don't neglect online play too. It's almost a different game.

ONLINE PLAY??? Can you please tell me about that, is that like the campaign thing where several people play on a map at once? PS - I appreciate everyone's input on cheating, believe me, I am not asking because it is my intention, for certainly, as the best point was made, I'd only be cheating myself & what's the point. But thanks again, all.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM questions -- is it worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI