Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comments from a Newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Comments from a Newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comments from a Newbie - 2/7/2002 2:43:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

I'm not a total newbie, because I did play SP1 a few years ago. Generally I like what has been done with the game between then and SPWaW. I would like to post a few commments/suggestions. Sorry if I am rehashing old ground, but because there is no search feature in this forum it is too time-consuming to try to read all the old posts. Opportunity Fire:
I like that the game now questions whether or not to use Opportunity Fire, rather than wasting Anti-Tank rounds on infantry, for example, just prior to the appearance of a valid target. I would like if the hit% would show as well, so as not to waste shots on very low possibilities.
(and could it be written in larger type for we older guys ?) Fast Artillery:
I wish there was a speed in between "fast" and "normal" - the fast speed is so fast that it is impossible to see what is happening, so I end up turning the option off. Auto Rally:
This is where something similar to "Fast Artillery" would really be a benefit. It takes a long time at the end of a turn. Failing that, it would be helpful if the screen would highlight the unit attempting to rally. Confirmation of Questionable Moves:
I wish the game would prompt for confirmation before performing a move that may damage the moving piece. e.g. entering a building or stone wall hex. Moving/Firing:
I wish there was a way to have the system jump to the next piece with movement/fire still available, rather than just the next numeric piece. Those are the main points I have thought about in the last week or so of rediscovering this game.
I am looking forward to feedback from the "veterans" out there. [ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Kanon Fodder ]

Post #: 1
- 2/7/2002 3:01:00 AM   
Bing

You haven't said what your system is - so we can't comment on why a turn would be taking so long. Anything upstream of an older P2 450 such as I had ought to do the turns with no problems and a minimum of wait time. Why don't you post the detals and also let us know what you've done to optimize performance - Cacheman, terminating all background apps before starting SP, that sort of thing. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Kanon Fodder)
Post #: 2
- 2/7/2002 3:28:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

PII/266 320Mb RAM Game speed itself is not a problem - just the end of turn rally I would like to speed up. I use RAMBooster and have nothing else running in the background when I am SPWaWing.

Post #: 3
- 2/7/2002 3:53:00 AM   
Svennemir

More MB RAM than MHz! Yikes! Uhm... sorry... to the point: Our Saviour Paul Vebber, one of the Grand Old Men when it comes to SPWAW, has earlier issued the statement that no more "big" patches will be released, since efforts are now concentrated on Combat Leader. I don't think any such changes as you are proposing will be likely, though some of them would be very nice (especially the "Semi-Fast" Arty setting!). The 7.1 will probably be the last patch if I have understood correctly, and it will change the Armor System and a lot of OOB stuff plus some b**'s.

Post #: 4
- 2/7/2002 9:52:00 AM   
Bing

Fodder - Try enabling "Auto Rally" in the Preferences screen, that might help. Also make sure you aren't slowing down anything in the game via Preferences settings - its easy to do this and as long as I've played this fine game from time to time I forget I tried something to see how it worked and never reset the Preference. Execution times can be altered drastically in the Preferences screen and it pays to know your way around it.
Utilities that free up RAM - I have used several of them in the past including Ram Idle - are not the same as Cacheman, a utility created to deal with Windows vcache settings. Until I started using Cacheman on my former system - a P2 450 - I had problems. Cacheman took care of most of them - I was directed to Cacheman by people here on this board who use it regularly. It is the one and only utility I run in the background, nothing else loads when I boot. The latest version of Cacheman also frees up RAM, so I no longer use Ram Idle - and it does a superior job in this area also. Which OS are you running? Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

Post #: 5
- 2/7/2002 10:00:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

I do use "Auto Rally". I realized after posting this that because I slowed down the messages in general that the auto rally messages will be slow as well. Rather than discussing my system, I was hoping for more feedback on the suggestions I made, but if 7.1 is to be "it" then I suppose that will be neither here nor there.

Post #: 6
- 2/7/2002 2:22:00 PM   
swagman

Opportunity Fire:
I would like if the hit% would show as well, so as not to waste shots on very low possibilities.
(and could it be written in larger type for we older guys ?) We've all wished for this one... Fast Artillery:
I wish there was a speed in between "fast" and "normal" - the fast speed is so fast that it is impossible to see what is happening, so I end up turning the option off. most PBEM players use fast artillery off, but set the message delay to 10 or so...the shells fall separately but with minimal delay. Auto Rally:
This is where something similar to "Fast Artillery" would really be a benefit. It takes a long time at the end of a turn. Failing that, it would be helpful if the screen would highlight the unit attempting to rally. Confirmation of Questionable Moves:
I wish the game would prompt for confirmation before performing a move that may damage the moving piece. e.g. entering a building or stone wall hex. We've all dreamed of this...every player has his nightmare story of a favourite elite unit in a long campaign suddenly driving straight into a house and being immobilised right infront of a big 88...the painful part is that when a vehicle enters a building nex it is treated as a single building, but conceptually it is a 50 metre wide composite of half a dozen houses...any tank would be able to drive around the house rather than through it! Moving/Firing:
I wish there was a way to have the system jump to the next piece with movement/fire still available, rather than just the next numeric piece. The "N" and "P" keys (next and previous) can be used to cycle through your units, and you can see in the information panel the number of shots left and if there are any targets...an asterisk in the bottom left shows if the vehicle has been spotted, whether or not you can see them - there's also a hash but I forget what that indicates - if you want to check for units that haven't fired, use the unit manaifest, which lists that and much more for every unit...if you click on the unit you are taken to it on the map, and so can select a target and fire...same applies to suppression (in order to manually rally all your troops) and remaining movement (to make sure you have moved all your units) Hope this helps Those are the main points I have thought about in the last week or so of rediscovering this game.
I am looking forward to feedback from the "veterans" out there. [ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Kanon Fodder ][/QB][/QUOTE]

Post #: 7
- 2/7/2002 3:45:00 PM   
Kanon Fodder

Thanks for your feedback, swagman. At least I know I'm not alone with my wishlist. I still enjoy the game - a few modifications would just make it all the sweeter ... But I still don't understand the scoring:
I just played the "Kufra" scenario (Free French vs. Italian in 1941) and finished in 28 of 35 turns. I totally wiped out the Italian force and captured all the victory hexes. Score was 1901 to 713 and was still considered a draw.

Post #: 8
- 2/7/2002 10:00:00 PM   
Alexandra

You need a 3 to 1 point ratio for a MV, and I think it's 5 to 1 for a DV. Or is it 6 to 1? It also is lower, I think, when you play vs another human.
A Proud Fan of the World Champion New England Patriots, Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 9
- 2/7/2002 11:24:00 PM   
Bing

Alex - What I'm seeing now - under the newest 7.1 patched mech.exe - is 6:1 required for a DV, plus the player had better take all the VH's, preferably on or before the halfway point plus one turn (viz. in a 12 turn battle, that would be by the 7th turn). The problem in LV has been the game routine sometimes won't allow the player to continue no matter what has been going on. I understand work is underway to correct the premature termination "insect". Fodder - The game runs faster if your system runs faster. Up to you as to whether or not you want to attempt to juice up an older system. I would, but that is just me. I ran a LOT of SPW@W on a P2 450 and never had a problem with execution speed. Bing

Post #: 10
- 2/8/2002 1:33:00 AM   
campekenobi

Well since you listed a "WISH - LIST", here's my ONE big one: I wish you could have a SCROLL bar to scroll up the MESSAGES that are listed during combat (in the lower right of the bottom gray bar). So many times several things happen (like listing 80mm bombardment 16 times) and I miss the casualty listing because the scripts push the info up into oblivion. (Close Combat from Microsoft lets you scroll up on messages)

Post #: 11
- 2/8/2002 1:57:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
[QB]Well since you listed a "WISH - LIST", here's my ONE big one: I wish you could have a SCROLL bar to scroll up the MESSAGES that are listed during combat (in the lower right of the bottom gray bar). So many times several things happen (like listing 80mm bombardment 16 times) and I miss the casualty listing because the scripts push the info up into oblivion. Are you using the key? that will repeat the list that scrolled by on the lower right. I suppose you could run that list off the screen also, but I play with 400 units quite a bit and haven't seen the list run off the screen. I suppose if I was getting my a$$ really whoped, and had to do a lot of Rallys, It could happen. But my normal reaction to that is and start again, with a better plan. T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

Post #: 12
- 2/8/2002 2:02:00 AM   
campekenobi

quote:

Originally posted by Tomanbeg:
[QB]Well since you listed a "WISH - LIST", here's my ONE big one: Are you using the f5 key? T.

OOOHhhhhhhh!!!! Well, then... the game IS perfect! Thanks

Post #: 13
- 2/8/2002 2:16:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

quote:

Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
Well since you listed a "WISH - LIST", here's my ONE big one: I wish you could have a SCROLL bar to scroll up the MESSAGES that are listed during combat (in the lower right of the bottom gray bar). So many times several things happen (like listing 80mm bombardment 16 times) and I miss the casualty listing because the scripts push the info up into oblivion. (Close Combat from Microsoft lets you scroll up on messages)
Actually that reminds me of another thing ... I don't believe you should get any enemy casualty notifications from artillery poundings unless you have an FO watching the target.

Post #: 14
- 2/8/2002 5:37:00 AM   
Bing

[QB]Well since you listed a "WISH - LIST", here's my ONE big one: I wish you could have a SCROLL bar to scroll up the MESSAGES that are listed during combat (in the lower right of the bottom gray bar). So many times several things happen (like listing 80mm bombardment 16 times) and I miss the casualty listing because the scripts push the info up into oblivion. =========================================== If you are running v7.1 you can use Alt + L - thats the letter "l" and doesn't have to be in uppercase. All the action and I do mean ALL the action will be written to a text file called"combat.txt" which you will find in the SPW@W root directory. This will not work for the very first bombardment when you leave the deplpoyment screen, it does work thereafter. I have found that if I save and quit the game, I have to enable via Alt + L when I load the save file. Thats a small price to pay so far as I am concerned. I just found out how a PzIIIj took out two of my T-34's with two successive rounds - APCR, that's how. Plus some pretty good shootin', pohdner. Bing

Post #: 15
- 2/8/2002 12:19:00 PM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Bing:

If you are running v7.1 you can use Alt + L - thats the letter "l" and doesn't have to be in uppercase. All the action and I do mean ALL the action will be written to a text file called"combat.txt" which you will find in the SPW@W root directory. This will not work for the very first bombardment when you leave the deplpoyment screen, it does work thereafter. I have found that if I save and quit the game, I have to enable via Alt + L when I load the save file. Thats a small price to pay so far as I am concerned. I just found out how a PzIIIj took out two of my T-34's with two successive rounds - APCR, that's how. Plus some pretty good shootin', pohdner. Bing

Whoa! I didn't know about this...what a godsend. Alot of times during VCR playback of a PBEM turn many of the messages don't appear at all; having a text file takes care of that. Hats off to whoever came up with this one.

Jim NSB

Post #: 16
- 2/8/2002 12:36:00 PM   
Bing

The action text file was - for me anyway - one of those really nice unanounced, undocumented features one can suddenly find is there one day. Works great, I don't see as anyone would want more detail and thanks again to whoever was nice enough to answer our long standing requests for this item. We really do have the greatest crew workng on W@W. Bing

Post #: 17
- 2/8/2002 1:41:00 PM   
Tomanbeg

quote:

Originally posted by Sniper-for-hire:
OOOHhhhhhhh!!!! Well, then... the game IS perfect! Thanks
I didn't say THAT! Wait 'til you hit the'T'Key to target something and it draws a line to a victory flag, tells you the range is 999 and your hit % is 0. WTF? I tried to take that shot once, Just for the hell of it. wouldn't shoot. And not everything shows up on the little scrolling screen either.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
[IMG]http

Post #: 18
- 2/9/2002 12:40:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

quote:

[QBIf you are running v7.1 you can use Alt + L - thats the letter "l" and doesn't have to be in uppercase. All the action and I do mean ALL the action will be written to a text file called"combat.txt" which you will find in the SPW@W root directory. This will not work for the very first bombardment when you leave the deplpoyment screen, it does work thereafter. [/QB]
Where would Juan get 7.1 ? Downloads page only goes up to 7.0

Post #: 19
- 2/9/2002 12:56:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

Word on 7.1 is 'pretty soon now'. How is 'action defined? When my opponent drives across my LOS and I have my range set to 1 will I be informed that an Mk-IV just pulled into the woods behind the Barn north of the crossroads. How about when my opponent takes a shot at me and misses. Will the list contain what shot at me? Right now I only find out if it was a 75L48 or a 75L70 by dying, which seems backwards to me. I mean, if my tank crew is a collection of body parts inside a flaming steel box, it doesn't seem reasonable that they would tell me what 'kilt dem'. On the other hand I can imagine getting a radio report that "a long 75 just went by my ear".
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 20
- 2/9/2002 2:24:00 AM   
Bing

I'll drop our exalted leader Gmenfan a note to check this thread and don't be surprised if you fellas get a 7.1 patch in the mail tonight. If he wants, I'll send it this afternoon - let me check with GeeeeMan. Later, Bing

Post #: 21
- 2/9/2002 3:21:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Most of these concerns will be addressed, but it takes rewriting the game from scratch...hence Combat Leader!

Post #: 22
- 2/9/2002 5:43:00 AM   
Supervisor

Kanon Fodder, the patch is on its way to you. Like Paul V said many of these issues have been around for a while but to completely rewrite the code to accomodate them was not feasible. Hence CL which starts fresh with new code from the ground up.
As for the Armor system, the formulas have been completely rewritten and will be included in 7.1 P.S. Hotmail is pulling it's crap again rejecting the patch because its to large so I'll break it in 2. [ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Post #: 23
- 2/10/2002 9:43:00 AM   
Reg

quote:

If you are running v7.1 you can use Alt + L - thats the letter "l" and doesn't have to be in uppercase. All the action and I do mean ALL the action will be written to a text file called"combat.txt" which you will find in the SPW@W root directory. This will not work for the very first bombardment when you leave the deplpoyment screen, it does work thereafter.

quote:

Originally posted by Kanon Fodder:
Where would Juan get 7.1 ? Downloads page only goes up to 7.0
Fodder, the logging feature has been around for a few versions so you don't need 7.1 to use it. Just press the F1 key to display a list of available commands and from about version 5 onwards (I think) the Alt-L command should be listed. Note that the Asterix and Hash feature is considered too much information by some players (how do you know you are spotted until they open fire?). This feature may be turned off also via the undocumented Shift-*. Cheers,
Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 24
- 2/10/2002 10:09:00 AM   
Reg

quote:

Originally posted by Reg:
Note that the Asterix and Hash feature is considered too much information by some players (how do you know you are spotted until they open fire?). This feature may be turned off also via the undocumented Shift-*.

I have just confirmed the command above and the asterix symbol (unit spotted) functuality is definately toggled. The hash symbol (unit fired upon last turn) is unaffected. Cheers,
Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 25
- 2/10/2002 10:31:00 AM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Note that the Asterix and Hash feature is considered too much information by some players (how do you know you are spotted until they open fire?). This feature may be turned off also via the undocumented Shift-*. Cheers,
Reg.

Can the Shift-* be used for pbem or online play? Thanks,
Brian

Post #: 26
- 2/10/2002 10:59:00 AM   
Supervisor

Brian I'll have to double check. I don't have any active online or pbems going to confirm hopefully Reg will reply quicker.

Post #: 27
- 2/10/2002 1:05:00 PM   
tracer

quote:

Fodder, the logging feature has been around for a few versions so you don't need 7.1 to use it. Just press the F1 key to display a list of available commands and from about version 5 onwards (I think) the Alt-L command should be listed.
{snip}
Cheers,
Reg.

Do I understand this correctly?: Hit ALT-l (L) at the beginning of each of my PBEM turns and when my opponent sends the next turn the log file will show all the messages that occurred.

Jim NSB

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Comments from a Newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI