Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Steel 1.3 now available at Tankhead's!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Russian Steel 1.3 now available at Tankhead's! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Steel 1.3 now available at Tankhead's! - 9/13/2002 9:48:15 AM   
darroch

Just in time for the weekend!!

5 new battles for Russian Steel.

Tankhead has been gracious enough to host the update!

Thanks!!!

Go to the bottom of:

http://www.tankhead.ca/SPWaW/rusteel.html

This is just an update, you will need to have loaded Russian Steel 1.2 already.

Just slide these battles (and the new ucamp file) into your campaign folder (don't actually open the campaign folder - just slide 'em over until the icon darkens and release)

Let me repeat some important thank you's:

Thanks Wild Bill for you example and inspiration
Thanks A_B for starting this thing
THanks Penetrator for resurrecting it
Thanks Fabio for hosting the initial version
Thanks Rick for taking us in after Fabio got swamped!

and thank you for playing our campaign!

Designers welcome!

About the battles:

20 - Millerovo defense: July 1942: Sixth Army and 4th Panzer Army are on the move across the open steppe - their long range gunnery is deadly...time your counterattack carefully!

21 - Morozovsk Defense: save the artillery - you'll need it!! You have learned to approach those long 75s with caution by now...even KV tanks get cut up!

22 - Don Cauldron - the Panzers have broken through - you may be surrounded...better get across the river before they do...

23 - Supplies of fuel and ammo are desperately needed in Stalingrad - you have to protect these supply convoys from the Panzers

24 - through a gap in the German lines, your force has slipped into the rear echelon unnoticed - wipe out the artillery and get out of there before the reaction forces arrive...

7 more battles are in final playtesting!!!

These are difficult battles - the next update will increase the build points for these battles. You may want to edit the campaign and increase build points by 150 for each of these battles.

As always, post here if your have any problems and I'd love to hear your feedback.

Brad
Post #: 1
- 9/14/2002 11:34:18 AM   
Karnaaj

Uh-oh. And now he says they're "difficult". I lost my running RS campaign a while back due to a W98 reinstall, but I was having a nasty time of it at the early "river crossing/withdrawal" battle... later, I did the "Heroes of the Motherland" short campaign that (I guess) comes in SPWAW, and fairly *waltzed* through it.

Difficult. Looks like I've gotta *work*, once I finish my Japanese try at NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER.

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 2
- 9/15/2002 12:08:10 AM   
darroch

"These battles are difficult"...

Getting playbalance right is very tricky and it is difficult to predict what a player's core force will look like...

I urge players to adjust the rebuild points to make sure the core force doesn't fall below 80% strength...

We tried to ensure that getting a decisive in Russian Steel without stretching any rules (like a core force over 55 units) was possible but not easy...

I would strongly encourage anyone who has a particularly tough battle to edit their campaign and increase the build points for the next battle so you don't start out crippled...

If you have more than 5 dead tanks at the start of a battle it will take a lot of the fun out the new fight...

These latest battles are tougher for a slightly different reason: the Germans in 1942 have a lot more lethal antitank gunnery available: Stug F, PZkWIV fs/2, and the MKIIIs with the 50/L60 with APCR rounds ("arrow shot")....

In 1941 tank losses were more from Luftwaffe and infantry than anti-tank gunnery - you could hang about in the open and stay alive...

In 1942, this is no longer the case - the Germans can engage you before your own gunnery becomes effective...and they have the 50/L60, the 75/L43, and reengineered Pak76 guns - all deadly to T34s and KVs...

AS a result the Russian is forced onto the defensive tactically (as was the case historically) - reverse slope deployments, absorbing the Panzerfists with infantry before counterattacking with your own armor...constantly looking for the flank and rear shots on armor, use of artillery to button and disorient the enemy armor so you can get the first shot off and hopefully kill before getting sliced open....

During playtesting, I was losing 10-15 tanks per battle (of 25!)and getting marginal victories despite knowing the general German layout!!!

When you play these battles for the first time, it will be tough!

So you have the designer's encouragement to increase your rebuild points by up to 300 points per battle to ensure a healthy core force for each battle...

I also got really frustrated by how hard it is to kill MKIII and MkIV Panzers with standard issue 76 guns....only the Zis5 has a decent chance against the front...

MY record was:

10 x T34 (various models including improved) vs single MkIIIj at 250 meters....

T34 got a lucky first shot that stunned Mk3j but didn't penetrate...the remainder of the company proceeded to empty their loads into him over the next two turns...

The company of T34s took over 70 shots, getting 54 hits to front and side armor, and no penetrations! During the rally phase of the second turn the German crew bailed out (probably due to lethal migraines from all the clanging of shot against their armor) and were promptly gunned down by a lowly rifle squad....

in this case, T34 PEN was 78 .... Mk3j armor was 78 ....and the side hits must have been reduced for the deflection effect...

(tactically, it was imprudent to move to his flank and get clean side shots - his mates were waiting behind the treeline for just such a move..)

SO keeping in mind the "54 hits to force a bail-out" phenomenon, I suggest the following:

Take a platoon or two of lend lease Shermans and Wolverines when available...

I found the Sherman III with a PEN of 102 and the M10 Wolverine with a nice PEN of 137 are useful additions - a couple of these held in reserve go a long way...and they are lend-lease candidates so it doesn't require switching nations which is a bit of cheat (but, admittedly, fun)...

I would ove to hear specific feedback on these battles if you have the time - they needn't be so hard that it isn't any fun.....we may have overdone it...

Cheers,

Brad

:eek:

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 3
great news!! - 9/15/2002 11:12:06 AM   
Gallo Rojo

Now, this is good news Tovarishcas!
I was waiting for those new battles :D

Cheers!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 4
- 9/15/2002 9:02:11 PM   
darroch

Thanks Gallo Rojo - these are patterned after your storyline - did you ever think you see them actually finished?

I admit there were days...

ANyways, Kaakao was kind enough to point out an error I made.

The download zip file apparently consists of the 5 scenario files and the ucamp file...not the campaign files - I paste my reply to him for your information - and I'm working the problem:

"It sounds like I made a mistake - I sent Rick some zipped scenarios by mistake - later I sent the zipped campaign files. He probably has posted the zipped scenarios. My apologies for the confusion.

1. I will contact Rick and work with him to get the zipped campaign files uploaded.

2. I would be happy to send you the zipped files if you would like - just send me your preferred email address at [email]brad.darroch@trw.com[/email]

3. There is a workaround:
3a. put the scenarios files into your SCEN folder
3b. Open RS 1.3 in the edit campaign mode
3c. Click on each empty slot (e.g. because of the 0 slot, this is slot 19 for battle 20)
3d. The load scenario menu pops up
3e. select the correct scenario and click load
3f. The scenario slot should now have the name of the correct battle

It seems I rushed getting these files out and made a mistake. I apologize for the hassle and I'll get it right. "

Brad

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 5
- 9/16/2002 2:58:03 AM   
Karnaaj

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's fun... tough, but fun. Else I'd not be restarting it, yes? It's more of a challenge than some scenarios that can be powered through - as I recall, Heroes of the Motherland I did with a core of T-34s (upgraded all survivours to M41 by the end, I think), KV-1s (forget the mod - some got upgraded to T-34), and some infantry (upgraded some to KV-2s , and two 85mm AA w/trucks). Support buys varied - depended on what the map looked like and what the briefing had said; one scenario was stopping a breakthrough, so I figured to plug the hole with craters - 150mm battalion. Worked out pretty good, too, as what little made it through the moonscape was met with a great untidy lot of armour...

I like the way RS challenges me; a relatively easy stomping (that night raid on the bridgehead) seems to be the exception rather than the rule. (Based on what little I've played of the campaign - from what you're saying, it doesn't get easier. )

54 hits? Yup, I can believe it... as i recall, I came close to that a few times. PLONK PLONK PLONK KLANG PLONK. "Uh-oh." Smoke round "Dammit, why did he react to *that* and not the rest!??!" try again with a different tank... On the river crossing/retreat, I'd toss a few rounds into the front-runners, slide back out of LOS, and let flank shots do the work. (The KV-2 I had for that was doing OK, until about seven tanks ganged up on it. )

NO RETREAT, NO ESCAPE is the correct title of that scenario, which I did just finish as the Japanese, so RS is next!

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 6
- 9/16/2002 4:17:36 AM   
Tankhead

Hello Everyone!

The proper files have been posted.

Thank You for your support ;)

Tankhead

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 7
- 9/17/2002 11:39:01 AM   
Gallo Rojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darroch
[B]Thanks Gallo Rojo - these are patterned after your storyline - did you ever think you see them actually finished?

Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

I never doub about this Brad!
Thank you about your effort keeping this project alive!

I wish I had time myself to help on the dissing and test.

3 hurras for you and the RS team :D :D :D

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 8
UURAAH!! - 9/21/2002 4:47:15 PM   
wulfir

Comrade Colonel wulfirovitch has set out to defend the motherland against the brutal Fashist invaders! :mad:

Equiped with the latest model computer the workers could afford, of course. :D

I'm only on the third battle as of yet. Things look grim. No artillery. No air support. No vodka left. The only thing we have plenty of is Germans crawling about all around us! ;)

I like it! This campaign is great! :)

Semper in Primis

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 9
- 9/24/2002 9:34:08 AM   
darroch

Wulfir,

Glad you're enjoying it!

It's great to hear from players - good news or bad...

I am just about ready to send RS 1.4 off to Tankhead...

...puts us at 28 battles and gets us to the snowy killing fields of December 1942...

On to Rostov!

Cheers,

Brad

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 10
THx,THx! - 9/24/2002 11:44:01 AM   
Behemoth

Darroch,
A while ago I printed out a post of yours about the recomended core force. Do you still see it as 1\3 armor, 1\3 gun\AA and art., and 1\3 infantry, all within a 55 unit cap? In your previous post you were aluding to 10-15 tank casualties out of 25 strong. Could I perhaps have another breakdown of arm\inf core buys from you. I'm using around a company of t34s and a understrengthed company of KVs 2s & 1s(total of 15-17 tanks), with three platoons of inf. with some mortors and a pair 37AAs and 76ATs, as well as a transport platoon. Should I be a little more tank heavy? Thanks for all your hard work, this campaign is breathing new life into my SPwaw at the expense of UV, which I'm putting on hold until the release of the last uber-patch. Keep up the great work!
-chris

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 11
- 9/25/2002 3:11:25 AM   
Jarhead

Will the build points b adjusted 4 the whole campaign n this new release??

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/ab2.txt[/img]
[FONT=comic sans ms]Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi Mac.[/FONT]

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 12
Re: THx,THx! - 9/25/2002 4:20:36 AM   
Gallo Rojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Behemoth
[B]Darroch,
A while ago I printed out a post of yours about the recomended core force. Do you still see it as 1\3 armor, 1\3 gun\AA and art., and 1\3 infantry, all within a 55 unit cap? In your previous post you were aluding to 10-15 tank casualties out of 25 strong. Could I perhaps have another breakdown of arm\inf core buys from you. I'm using around a company of t34s and a understrengthed company of KVs 2s & 1s(total of 15-17 tanks), with three platoons of inf. with some mortors and a pair 37AAs and 76ATs, as well as a transport platoon. Should I be a little more tank heavy? Thanks for all your hard work, this campaign is breathing new life into my SPwaw at the expense of UV, which I'm putting on hold until the release of the last uber-patch. Keep up the great work!
-chris [/B][/QUOTE]

I can tell you what I have …

1x HQ Unit
1x Komosolet –to transport my HQ trough the battle field … or to run away from it, if necessary ;)

TANKS:

1 x Med Tanks Co (1 x T-34m41 Leader, 2xT-34 Plt, 1xT-28): 10 Tanks
2x BA 20
2x BT-7m
2x KV m40(1A)

INFANTRY

3x Recon Patrol Sqd
3x Gaz.M1 Emka

1x Rifle Co (this is about 12 Rifle Sqd plus the Co. Leader Sqd… and I have upgraded one Sqd of each platoon to SMG Sqd).

2x 7.62mm HMG (I reassigned them between the rifle plts)

3x 50mm Mort

ARTILLERY and SUPPORT UNITS

1 x FO

2x 20mm GAZ-AA (they are not really good against aircraft but are deadly against infantry)

2x 45mm Obr.32 ATG
2x 45mm Obr.38 ATG
2x 12.7mm DshK HMG

4xGAZ-AA

3x 82mm Mort

I hope it helps :D … Now buy your Troops and get out the fascist invaders out of the mother land ;)

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 13
good well rounded army! - 9/25/2002 8:01:02 AM   
Behemoth

Thx Gallo that is even less tank heavy than my group, how's that working for ya? I'm challenged with the tanks I've got, I'll try a little less and see where that gets me, I really have enjoyed the camp. so far. Thx again for your example, Good Hunting!
-B

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 14
- 9/26/2002 12:12:59 AM   
wulfir

[B]I am just about ready to send RS 1.4 off to Tankhead...

...puts us at 28 battles and gets us to the snowy killing fields of December 1942...

On to Rostov![/B][/QUOTE]

Great!! thanks! :)
Both maps and battles are really top notch IMO.

I got pretty much floored in battle 3 and lost a couple of my precious tanks in the last few truns of battle 4 - being too impatient can really strike back at you! hehe :D

Anyway, thanks again guys, I'm impressed by the time you all must have put down on this project!

Semper in Primis

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 15
- 9/26/2002 1:22:29 AM   
Gallo Rojo

[B]Wulfir,

Glad you're enjoying it!

It's great to hear from players - good news or bad...

I am just about ready to send RS 1.4 off to Tankhead...

On to Rostov!

Cheers,

Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

WOHOWWW!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Now my deams have come true!!

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 16
- 9/26/2002 5:33:57 AM   
darroch

Behemoth:

I checked my 1/43 core force from playtesting and it is as follows:

10 KV types (2, 1a, 1c)
10 T34 (imp)
2 M4 III
2 M10 Wolverine-ski

15 infantry squads (eng and smg)

4 x 76 ATG

4 x AA

3 x 120mm Mortar

Ammo Carrier

4 x Cavalry

So, yes, I am tank-heavy - many of these scenarios require a lot of movement and I gradually added tanks....

I find I am a little too tank heavy now but can't seem to bring myself to exchange them for infantry....

If you have any transport in your core I recommend that you exchange it immediately for combat formations...

Each battle provides you with 200 support points - enough to buy a dozen trucks....

so, use your precious core for combat forces....

Jarhead:

The RS 1.4 build points have been upgraded for all battles - enjoy!

Wulfir: glad you're enjoying the campaign!!

Gallo Rojo: RS 1.4 is out!!! See the separate post.

Brad

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Russian Steel 1.3 now available at Tankhead's! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI