Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crews Do Not Appear - HELP PLease

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crews Do Not Appear - HELP PLease Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crews Do Not Appear - HELP PLease - 2/16/2002 9:40:00 PM   
darroch

Building and testing several large scenarios: I am seeing the AI crews bail out of tanks that get shot enough but my crews do not appear - for tanks or guns... 1) Is there a design limit in terms of units/formations that I should know about? 2) Is this being worked for 7.1 maybe? Help greatly appreciated!

Post #: 1
- 2/16/2002 9:44:00 PM   
skukko

howdy Were crews killed? Too pinned to show up? This last have happened to me many times. Shoot at the hex where crew should be amd see if they appear, works in pbem mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 2
- 2/16/2002 10:08:00 PM   
Voriax

Hello As I've been testing these scenarios I'd might add that this behaviour is likely caused by the unit/formation cap. The disappeareance of crews is not necessarily related to gunfire in any way..for example if I decide to bail out the crew using the 9 key the vehicle/gun will be abandoned but no crew will appear. If someone could (re)post the current unit and formation maximums it would help a lot. Perhaps WB could attach this snippet of information in his 'scenario design' tutorials in the all time best topics forum. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 3
- 2/17/2002 7:55:00 AM   
darroch

This is going to take some digging... scenario 1 of the campaign game - 131 units and 43 formations (does not count the 2000 point core - add another 30-60 units and 10-20 formations), T34 shot by 88 and crew appears - all is well.... scenario 5 of same campaign...203 units and 71 formations....no crews ever showed up during 18 turns of playtesting.... Took this scenario and dropped the units to 176 and formations to 65...played as a scenario...crews appeared..OK, seems to be working... Incrementally increased units and formations to see if there was a point where no crews showed up... Ended up at 338 units and 100 formations and still crews showed up after tank blown up....! No apparent maximum when playing as a scenario This makes me think it is something with the campaign format... Next, I will make a campaign game test with each battle having larger and larger numbers of units and formations...to see if and when no crews show up... if that doesn't tell me then I may start suspecting some setting or preference (this will be the reaching-for-straws stage)... ANy ideas would be helpful....

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 4
- 2/17/2002 8:03:00 AM   
mogami

Hi OK your interested in this because the crews are part of a core force and therefore saving their experiance is important? During the battle when a crew does not show up after you "bail" it does a crew unit (it would be a 3 diget unit Tank Z1 bails crew would be Z11) appear on your unit roster only listed as "destroyed" or not at all.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 5
- 2/17/2002 8:36:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by darroch:
This is going to take some digging... ANy ideas would be helpful....
I think the current limit is 100 formations and 400 units total for both sides. You are pushing the game towards crashing when you approach either. It is still a whole lot more than you can get with SP or SPII. Running SPII the other night I ran out of slots buying a 400 pt core that was primarily infantry.
thanks, John.

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 6
- 2/18/2002 10:01:00 PM   
darroch

Spent several hours testing. Could not recreate the problem playing in scenario mode - only in campaign mode Using a nominal core force of 67 units in 20 formations I played a test campaign of incrementally increasing AUX force size to see when the crew no-show problem occurred. With this size core force, the crews continued to appear until the AUX force exceeded 218 units and 50 formations - at 50 formations, crews appeared in damaged and destroyed tanks (yes, once in awhile the whole crew got snuffed but usually 1 or more survivors pops up) - at 60 formations and 268 units, no crews showed up - a sure sign was when the little yellow plus sign on the tank just turned off after a lethal shot was received - this is normally followed by a crew appearing but not when there are more than 60 formations (in my test) I went back to my campaign game to apply the patch and to my surprise, found the problem persisted..
In fact, in a battle with 114 units in 34 formations (well below the apparent no-crew line) destroyed tanks still did not produce crews. Then I noticed that the highest formation designator (i.e. your HQ is designated A0) was BC01...it occurred to me that the game thinks I have 55 formations - over the "derived" 50 formation limit...and thus no crews. This had come about because the game orginally had lots of units but many of these units were deleted to fix playbalance issues - so even though there were only 34 actual formations, the designators were not sequential and some of the initial units had Bxxx designators. So, I deleted all of the Bxxx units, repurchased them (and the game assigned them to open slots starting with the lowest available open slot - in effect backfilling in where units have been previously been deleted). I ensured that the highest designator was AMxx. Saved and tested. On cue, a little crew survivor popped up when the T34 he was riding got plinked by an 88...repeated crew bail out confirmed that the game now generates crew survivors. Whew! So, in addition to 400, 100 as unit maxima, designers should also keep the figure 70 formations as an overall limit if crew bail out is desired. The 50 formation AUX force plus the 20 formation core force shows that somewhere above 70 formations, the game decides there just aren't enough slots left to make crews with. No actual playability issues occur above 70 formations (that I noticed) but those elite crews you've been nursing through game after game won't appear to get re-tanked at battle's end. Oddly enough, the number of units did not appear to be the trigger in this instance - in my testing it turned on the number of formations. This will actually benefit our campaign game: Russian Steel, because it acts as a damper for players who purchase a very large number of cheap units initially in order to upgrade them into an overwhelming tank force later in the campaign (thereby screwing up the playbalance we worked hard to get). This is not prevented but now if too large a force is purchased (like over 65 units and 20 formations) the player will have a self-inflicted no-crew problem that will make it much harder to build up the elite combined arms force he/she will really need to win the battles... By the way (shameless plug here) we are now 2 weeks away from releasing the first 9 battles of Russian Steel, covering the first 5 months of Barbarossa and ending with a Wild Bill battle at the very approaches to Moscow. Fabio Prado has kindly agreed to host our game for download so stay tuned for a near-term announcement. The first release contains 9 battles. We have 23 built and another 15 in design. The next release of 10 battles is scheduled for 15 April and will take you through the Soviet Winter Counter Offensive. The next 10 battles will take you to Mamayaev Kurgan and is planned to culminate in a Mosh-designed bloodbath on that fateful hill. The last release will let you play through the Uranus and Saturn battles and try and shut the door on Army Group A at Rostov in January 1943. Cheers.

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 7
- 2/18/2002 10:43:00 PM   
Larry Holt

This seems to document part of the game engine that is important to scenario design. Can this be posted to the Hall of Fame thread?

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crews Do Not Appear - HELP PLease Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI