Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Play all LV scenarios?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Play all LV scenarios? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Play all LV scenarios? - 2/25/2002 8:21:00 PM   
Larry Holt

If you take the megacampaign\LostVictories directory and rename it as your main scen dir (after saving the original scen dir) you can play any LV battle. There are no comments so you just have to blindly click on a scenario. Has anyone tried this to see if you can then move a save back into the MC and continue it? Does anyone have a full list of scenario descriptions?

Never take counsel of your fears.
Post #: 1
- 2/25/2002 8:47:00 PM   
skukko

Development team has list. basically you can do and edit scens, but I don't know if its recommended due to nature of MC-structures and design. And sure there is some legal aspect in it, but that I don't know. Patch is coming this week, so patience.. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 2
- 2/25/2002 8:58:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
Development team has list.
mosh

Would you consider releasing this list?

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 3
- 2/26/2002 1:58:00 AM   
Grenadier

Sorry, Larry,
This would give away all the information of all the possible courses LV can take. This would undermine the replayability value. For example, If you knew a DV leads to one node and an MV to another, you could then "game" the MC to play it the way you want to and there would be no suprises. Same with the percentages of if aircraft will show up or not or if you get the support you asked for. Same with choosing the base node over an option. In some of the nodes even if you do not choose an option you may get it anyway or a variation on it. There are up to 8 potential scenarios for each node and part of the unpredictability in playing LV comes form this factor. If all this was laid out for you, then you would know what to exxpect, something I am sure every officer in the German Army on the Eastern Front would have love to have known. A T-34 attack is not as fear inspiring if you know it is coming and can prepare for it, is it

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 4
- 2/26/2002 2:52:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Brent:
Sorry, Larry,
This would give away all the information of all the possible courses LV can take. This would undermine the replayability value. For example, If you knew a DV leads to one node and an MV to another, you could then "game" the MC to play it the way you want to and there would be no suprises....

I was not asking for the scenario decision tree, just a list that says scenxxx is an assault, location, date, etc.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 5
- 2/26/2002 1:35:00 PM   
skukko

such a list is possible to do and I think it would not reveal too much... what more a should it have? Printable maps in PDF -format ? TOEs of a German side? That is not a joke. It would be cool add to campaign as is some of the best books delivered in 'past' big wargames... mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 6
- 2/26/2002 9:12:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Mosh,
Good idea, kind of like the Starcraft strategy guides. They provide hints then actually walk you through scenarios but also have maps and unit info.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 7
- 2/27/2002 5:00:00 AM   
gn08979

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brent:
[QB]Sorry, Larry,
This would give away all the information of all the possible courses LV can take. This would undermine the replayability value. Well there is not a whole lot of replay value in a game that you can only play 1/2 way through becuase of bugs. Since LV stops after the bridge scenario why not let me know what the others are after that. I can't reach them with LV anyway.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 8
- 2/28/2002 12:57:00 AM   
Rover

Brent, I, for one, would vote to have a file included that would provide the decision tree. I agree with your basic premise that it would take away from the experience if someone used it appropriately but I feel that's a users choice. The inverse of this is I now have a game where I have a huge desire to play all the parts of it in the designers intended order but can't do it. Please reconsider this policy... and thanks again for a great campaign game! R

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 9
- 2/28/2002 1:28:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I echo Rover's comments. It is true that releasing the tree would allow a player to manipulate the game and follow a branch that the designer did not intend for me to get onto. But if I have the tree and do not do what the designer intended, who is hurt and who gains? I paid for the game. Please let me be able to play it as I desire.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 10
- 2/28/2002 2:52:00 AM   
Bing

Include me in with Larry's comments. As it stands now, I don't care for the way MCLV makes arbitrary decisions. But I would like to play some of the scenarios. Where's the harm in allowing the player to do this? It ain't the Titanic going down or anything like that.
Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 11
- 2/28/2002 3:20:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Please allow me to clarify my position. Releasing the scenario list and branching tree would only enhance what players can get out of LV and make us more likely to play it and recommend it. I do not see asking for this as a slap against the LV team but as a way to enhance the player's experience.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 12
- 2/28/2002 9:56:00 PM   
Rover

One last thought... if we're to really embrace this idea of allowing players full information of what's happening to guide where they are to go in campaigns then we'd need a screen to summarize progress regarding points achieved vs. opponents score. It would also give what level of victory player is currently at. Honestly, this is nothing I'd really expect to be created at this late date for SPWAW but more something to consider for the followon games in development. Thanks again...

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 13
- 2/28/2002 10:30:00 PM   
Bing

As I understand it the idea - for some of us at any rate - is not to indluence the "outcome" of the campaign. We simply want to be able to play and possibly edit some of the scenarios. If we want to play a series of them, we can use a pencil and paper to keep score. Personally, I don't care how LV "branches", it is not of cosmic significance. Others will not feel that way and may continue to play the entire campaign. Both views can be accomodated I believe. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Play all LV scenarios? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI