Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do enginer units destroy structures?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How do enginer units destroy structures? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do enginer units destroy structures? - 2/22/2002 5:38:00 AM   
Gary Tatro

How do engineer units destroy structures. Bridges, bunkers, houses, roads, train tracks? Particularly bridges? I have seen instances where houses colapse on the units that are inside of them, ussually killing them. Is there anyway to initiate this? Say specifically target the house to try to make it collapse. Do certain structures have stronger resitances to collapse? Can it be done with units other than engineers? Griffin

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"
Post #: 1
- 2/22/2002 5:57:00 AM   
Supervisor

They'll usually assault with satchel charges and in a normal turn the all important flamethrower will lighten up the party. Structures will collapse from too much fatigue, bombardment, gunfire, explosions, large vehicles driving through them. I'm sure their is a strength rating for structures but I don't know what it is, there is also a random factor that will be invoked to see when and if it will collapse. [ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 2
- 2/22/2002 6:05:00 AM   
lnp4668

Use the z key to attack the hex the structure is in.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 3
- 2/22/2002 8:11:00 AM   
DoubleDeuce

Guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks LNP4668 !

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 4
- 2/22/2002 8:16:00 AM   
Gary Tatro

Thanks guys, but how would you specifically destroy a bridge with an engineer unit? Griffin

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 5
- 2/22/2002 8:33:00 AM   
Bing

"How do engineer units destroy structures?" Answer: With a lot of explosives ... and a VERY loud noise. Also: They work best when alone. If observed, they may become shy and refuse to use their satchel charges. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 6
- 2/22/2002 9:30:00 AM   
Supervisor

Boy I feel silly, I guess I totally misread the question. Duh

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 7
- 2/22/2002 11:51:00 AM   
degen

One of the tutorials (#3)included in the game addresses how to destroy bridges and gives you an apportunity to practice. IRC, you place the engineer on one end of the bridge use the Z key or attack a hex with indirect fire button to target a hex adjacent to the engineer. Then, ka-boom, the bridge hex is destroyed.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 8
- 2/22/2002 5:36:00 PM   
Resisti

Yes, and also large caliber guns, either by direct or indirect fire, will do the job.
Minimum caliber dimension should be 100mm+, if I'm not wrong; it was 75+, few versions ago.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 9
- 2/22/2002 7:18:00 PM   
ubertechie

Its also highly amusing to destroy a occupied bridge - watch that unit instantly get destroyed - great way of taking out Heaavy vehicles easily Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 10
- 2/22/2002 8:31:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Griffin:
How do engineer units destroy structures. Bridges, bunkers, houses, roads, train tracks? Particularly bridges? I have seen instances where houses colapse on the units that are inside of them, ussually killing them. Is there anyway to initiate this? Say specifically target the house to try to make it collapse. Do certain structures have stronger resitances to collapse? Can it be done with units other than engineers? Griffin

Units are assulted by being next to them and firing with an undisrupted enigneer. Units include bunkers.
Bridges and buildings are destroyed by being in an ajacent hex and using the 'Z' key to attack the hex. These attacks can fail and the object not be destroyed. Happy destruction.

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 11
- 2/22/2002 11:18:00 PM   
Bing

For me, these attacks fail a good deal of the time with engineers against bunkers. Lacking a Tiger E or equivalent w/88, I find I need two or three leg units surrounding the bunker (these are early war scenrios and battles) who will stage a hurling contest with grenade bundles. A dozen of so bundles, Wham!! If you get lucky, a smaller infantry gun like the little German 75mm will take out a bunker, but it is strictly luck. The towed 150mm has never done anything for me. Sure fire later in the war, with US troops is the bazooka (are two are more "bazooki"?). I usually get the smaller bunkers with a couple M9 rounds into the back door. Sherman Jumbos or the equivalent with the later gun will also do the trick, though not quite as efficiently. I had a German 120mm mortar round bust up an armored bunkier like it was a can opener. That you get once a year, on your birthday. If you really, absolutely, positively must take out that bunker stay with it, keep whacking it with everything you've got, you will eventually bust the bunker. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 12
- 2/23/2002 7:08:00 AM   
rbrunsman

Is it actually advantageous to destroy a building with infantry in it? Does this kill some of them? I would think that a destroyed building is equal to rough terrain which is heaven to infantry, isn't it? I'm currently having a very difficult time getting Soviets out of several houses in my line of advance in LV.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 13
- 2/23/2002 8:30:00 AM   
bchapman

quote:

Thanks guys, but how would you specifically destroy a bridge with an engineer unit?

Griffin,
Engineers can destroy wooded bridges, but I haven't had any luck trying to destroy a stone or metal bridge. Usually the engineers wind up taking suppression when trying to blow up a bridge and it doesn't work.
Rebelbug

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 14
- 2/23/2002 1:18:00 PM   
tracer

With bunkers I find it more successful to use 'T&C'. Hit the T key and select the target, then the C key and select the weapon...assuming the unit has a weapon capable of penetrating. No suppression if you fail, and less chance of the target op-firing back.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Gary Tatro)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How do enginer units destroy structures? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI