Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MC WatchTower

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> MC WatchTower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MC WatchTower - 5/24/2004 2:28:14 AM   
SSBlick

I'm a newbie to SPWaW- just started playing in the last 6 months. I got Screaming Eagles and was thinking about getting a 2nd MC. I'm currently playing the Guadacanal campaign on SPWaW and was wondering how it compares to the MC? Are the same maps used? Is the format the same as Screaming Eagles? If you were going to recommend one of the older MC, which would you get?
Post #: 1
RE: MC WatchTower - 5/24/2004 6:34:48 AM   
tmac

SSBlick-
Welcome, and prepare to lose sleep and relationships, lol....All MC's follow same general setup, although each one has taught the designers how to do the next better. Screaming Eagles has the nice touch of choosing 4 different leads into the MC, thats unique. All the others have one core force to start, although you do get to choose your first battles. You are currently playing the latest (and greatest) IMO, but they all rock. depends on your preferences. Watchtower is great, some really tough battles, and more of an infantry flavor, but still has plenty of US vehicles to play with. Desert Fox is armor heavy (I'm playing through that now) but still has some really tough Brit infantry to deal with, along with the long LOS in desert. Lost Victories is alot of fun too, Nazi eastern front combined arms fighting against those damn tough KV's and T-34's with Pz IIIs and Stug III's. All are great, have alot more additional info and documentation than a standard camaign offers.
Buy the one you feel most like playing, or if possible, get them all.
Enjoy,
Tim

(in reply to SSBlick)
Post #: 2
RE: MC WatchTower - 5/24/2004 7:01:33 AM   
RayM

SSBlick:

Welcome to the Pacific Theater.

If you favor many tension-filled moments as you move slowly until you're fired upon by some aggressive, tough Japanese, then MC-WT is for you. Lots of surprises and "gotchas." Forget about long distance spotting and shooting, MC-WT is close-in, claustrophobic, combat against a tough opponent. Not surprisingly, ou will need to move and fight differently than in the other MCs.

The Guadalcanal Campaign found in the basic SPWaW campaign list is an excellent tutorial IMHO for learning the basics of jungle fighting on offense and defense. I spent more than a few nights working through it several times before I tackled MC-WT. Careful recon and consolidation of forces prior to launching attacks will be important as will learning to set up overlapping kill zones and tightly integrated defensive perimeters.

While you don't have much armor in MC-WT or in any Pacific scenario for that matter, you must be willing to accept and internalize the absolute necessity of keeping your armor with troops and troops with armor. Together, they make a winning combined arms team. If you don't use this approach and take a "hey-diddle-diddle, up the middle" (as I did initially, until I learned the hard way...it is hard to resist BTW), the results will not be good. The ability of the Japanese to assault and destroy your unprotected armor is really amazing. Tough...tough....tough.

Enjoy.

Ray

(in reply to tmac)
Post #: 3
RE: MC WatchTower - 5/24/2004 6:57:44 PM   
Procrustes

Personally, Watch Tower is my big favorite - that's the one I would recommend next. I have all four, am currently playing through MCSE right now - really enjoy all the branching and small scenarios. But WT is the most edge-of-your-seat of the four. I also really like the documentation and the historical play-along that goes w/ WT. I could never really get into Desert Fox - masses of armor, open space and high visibility - just not as much fun for me. Lost Victories is fun - the western front is always interesting - but the scenarios tend to be quite large and the maps repeat - I find the game can get tedious and have to put it down for extended periods.

MCSE and MCWT both play great with C&C on - another big plus.

(in reply to SSBlick)
Post #: 4
RE: MC WatchTower - 5/27/2004 5:46:33 AM   
SSBlick

Thanks for the replies- I went ahead and bought it.

(in reply to SSBlick)
Post #: 5
RE: MC WatchTower - 5/27/2004 5:48:38 PM   
plloyd

Watchtower is a good choice for infantry. The Japanese are numerous, fairly well armed, and implacable. Visibility is usually less than 5 hexes, often only 2 or 3. Don't be fooled by the game info in the corner, 12 hexes is only good on a hill, and then only to the edge of the trees. Fights get real ugly, real fast. You will spend most scenarios wondering if you can survive the pressure long enough to get a draw. When the battle ends, you will let out a long sigh and just be glad your force has survived. Get some Advil, you will need it. It is very well done. If you land on Gavutu, send half you force to the left, around the peninsula. Good luck.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to SSBlick)
Post #: 6
RE: MC WatchTower - 5/30/2004 11:28:15 AM   
Goufy

Having bought MC Watchtower with UncommonValor at the time of its launch, i just try now to play it and so far it is very good! I wonder why i didn't try it sooner.

The maps are amazing. Yes it is infantery, i am learning all the tricks and get better at each new maps but it takes time. I try at least three times each battle before i am happy with the result. Most of the time you see the japanese when it is too late, you have to advance very slowly.

Very good game. Thank you

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 7
RE: MC WatchTower - 6/13/2004 7:29:12 PM   
Wild Bill

I'm thrilled you purchased MC-W, Blick!

Personally, with my interest in the MCs and the Pacific theater, I enjoy this one immensely.

In one of those strange quirks, the original Steel Panthers was designed as a battle of armor, hence the name, Steel Panthers.

Over time, however, we have discovered that it is an ideal game to simulate infantry action of small unit combat.

For me, it is the perfect mirror of what a company or battaltion commander will feel as they enter the arena of war.

Each MC is a good representation of the particular combat against a different enemy, whether Russians, Germans, Allies (Desert Fox) or the Japanese.

With the four existing MCs, one does get a good overall view of the war from varying perspectives.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Goufy)
Post #: 8
RE: MC WatchTower - 11/17/2004 6:30:24 PM   
Alexandra

I love Watchtower! In the time I've been away from the forums I've played it all the way through.

Forgot where I put my final score, but it was a DV. A hard earned one, but a DV.

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: MC WatchTower - 11/27/2004 9:52:25 AM   
Wild Bill

I expect nothing less from you, My Lady. A triumphant Woman Marine. Bruce Hodgman will be proud. Shoot, even old Lee Ermey would be proud!

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> MC WatchTower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI