Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/8/2004 5:02:56 AM   
KG Erwin

I hope that you have taken the opportunity to look over the impressive additions to the Italian unit encyclopedia, which were done by "Ruxius" and edited by yours truly.

I'd like to see some additions made for other nations, which we would collect and submit to Dave Heath as a True Update for 8.2. This would NOT involve making any data changes to the existing OOBs. All I want is text-file additions to the unit encyclopedias.

Anyone willing to do this can either respond here or contact me via PM or e-mail.

Post #: 1
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/8/2004 4:07:43 PM   
TheChin

I have some WWII aircraft references, I wouldn't mind filling any holes in the encyclopedia as far as aircraft go. I wish I had more info to do other categories, but that's really all I have immediate access too. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I can whip some up.

"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/8/2004 10:05:49 PM   
rrockw

I would love to help. Just tell me what you need me to do!

Rich

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/9/2004 4:08:03 AM   
Maciste

Tell me what U want. I'd love to help in some way, for this game and community did a lot for my amusement, and I want to pay them (you) back ;)
What are the texts supposed to tell about: technical specifications, story of the item commented, general overview about its capabilities...?

(in reply to rrockw)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/9/2004 5:37:21 AM   
Major Destruction

I am happy to coordinate this. If you like to contribute, please send your efforts to me.
majordestruction999@hotmail.com <this one should work
I will reply to you.

Use the existing texts as a template and type in your own style.

You know what you like to read in those texts and you know what doesn't impress you.
give it your best shot. I'll help.

When I have a batch, I'll publish them for players to add to their enc folder

< Message edited by Major Destruction -- 9/9/2004 4:28:17 PM >

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 5
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/9/2004 9:53:18 PM   
parusski

Well I can't contribute but PLEASE. A printable copy of Thew encyclopedia is something I have prayed for for years. Oh PLEASE

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 6
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/10/2004 12:07:04 PM   
Roo

I'll volunteer, although it will be a little tricky for the next 2 months as I'm going to be in and out, but I guess every little helps.

I have quite a few files - aircraft files are the most extensive, with 3 seperate sources immediately available, but also covering most other equipment from the "big 4" - Germany, Russia, England and America. Unfortunately I don't have much information on other countries.

One last Q - would you prefer 1 file per unit or 1 file full stop?

< Message edited by Roo -- 7/10/2004 10:29:24 AM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 7
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/10/2004 2:55:32 PM   
Maciste

Just two questions:

1) Where to send the texts?
2) Which format for the texts? (i.e: .txt, .doc; .wrd...)

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 8
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/11/2004 6:46:00 PM   
Voriax

Major Destruction, nice offer but remember that new oob's must be also distributed. Just text files without linking them into the oob's won't benefit anyone. Lets do the distribution via true update and not via some semi-obscure way?
And as I already told Bryan, I could probably find some time to write something into the Finnish section.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 9
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/11/2004 9:01:22 PM   
Maciste

A brief tutorial to explain me what an oob file is, and how to link text to an oob file, and does the oob files include pictures, or must the text be linked to pre-existing images on encyclopaedia, please? :P

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 10
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/11/2004 9:28:41 PM   
Voriax

Ok..oob file. Go to the spwaw start menu. *not* 'spwaw general edition game menu' but through windows start-> programs -> etc.
Locate 'editor' and run it. You will start an oob editor. Oob files contain all unit/formation/weapon data. When you have this editor running select file -> edit oob -> select a nation to examine that nations units etc...you may want to make a backup copy of your *original* oob's before you experiment further.

When you look at the unit stats you will find boxes marked with 'icon', 'lbm' and 'text'. First value determines the on-map picture or icon of given unit. THe lbm decides which picture to show in encyclopedia and the 'text' decides what encyclopedia text to show.
So when we write new encyclopedia texts the correct file number *must* be added to the oob files otherwise encyclopedia will still show blanks no matter how many text files we've added.

Also some coordination might be needed so we do not use same numbers but that can be avoided if we keep first 2 numbers same as the oob file number..so all German encyc texts would be 'enc70xy.txt' format and the xy could as well be the unit number in the oob file...btw, these text files can have max of 4 digits or..?

Voriax

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 11
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/12/2004 2:29:28 AM   
KG Erwin

The ENC files are .txt files, and have a four-digit number corresponding to that found in the Editor. Many don't realize that simply right-clicking on an encyclopedia entry reveals the detailed view of the unit, along with the text.

As an example, here is the new one I wrote for ENC8310:

"The Marine Raider units were formed in 1941 as a covert assault unit inspired by the British commandos. The first two Raider battalions had very different organizations, bearing the personal imprint of their commanders. The 1st Bn are the units of Meritt "Red Mike" Edson, who led the first American amphibious assault in the Pacific at Tulagi in Aug 1942. They were the Marine equivalent of the US Army Rangers. The 2nd Bn has put together by Evans Carlson. Its motto was "Gung Ho", a Chinese phrase meaning "working together". This unit was the first USMC to get the prized Garand M1 Rifles, and accented guerilla-type operations. Both battalions were highly trained in demolitions. Two other battalions were formed, the 3rd led by Harry Liversedge and the 4th commanded by James Roosevelt, FDR's son. During 1943 the battalions were organized into regiments and adopted standardized TOEs. The last battle fought by Raiders was at Bougainville in 1943. In 1944 they were disbanded and their members folded into the newly established 4th Marines. "

Now, you must be careful not to use too many lines of text, or you'll lose some of it.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 12
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/12/2004 9:25:45 PM   
TheChin

So, should we do the whole process? Build the txt file, give it an enc name and then add it to the oob? Or should we just make one file with seperated txt sections and then submit them to a central organizer who can copy and paste them into individual enc files and then link them to the oobs, thereby eliminating any conflicts?

Another alternative is to make seperate txt files with the name of the unit and it's county of origin (i.e.: Hurricane_UK) and submit them zipped into one file to a designated oob editor person who can then can rename them to enc numbers and make the necessary oob changes, also eliminating conflicts.

Oh, I just checked the oob editor. I see that, at least in the UK, all units are already assigned an enc number, it's just that the file doesn't necessarily exist in the SPWaW directory. In the encyclopedia, the txt file will show up as 000, which threw me. So there shouldn't be confusion on numbers per se. So, should we just make up a bunch of enc's and send them to you KG? Or should we modify the oob and send it too you also?

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/12/2004 10:38:10 PM   
KG Erwin

Chin, you should look at Major Destruction's post above. He will be coordinating this, so contact him. Thanks for volunteering.

(in reply to TheChin)
Post #: 14
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/13/2004 6:03:29 AM   
Major Destruction

I prefer 1 file per unit. If you look at the unit in the oob editor you will see the text number xxx

Save your text as encxxx.txt for each unit, or better, save it as encxxxunit name.txt so I can correlate the text number with the unit that it refers to.
I you send then to me one at a time I can help.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 15
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/13/2004 6:10:52 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maciste

A brief tutorial to explain me what an oob file is, and how to link text to an oob file, and does the oob files include pictures, or must the text be linked to pre-existing images on encyclopaedia, please? :P

Here goes..........

Open the game and open the encyclopedia.
Select any unit. Take for example the SdKfz 221.
Now, in the screen you see before you, you will notice a line that shows: Text 137

This is the key.

If you open the OOB editor, and find the unit SdKfz 221 you will notice a field named txt which contains the data 137. This is the same information.

Type your text describing the SdKfz221 in a text editor (such as notepad) and save it as enc0137.txt

Now you have created a enc file for the SdKfz221.

For my convenience, would you kindly save the file as enc0221_sdKfz221.txt?
It will make it slightly easier for me to assimilate the texts.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 16
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/13/2004 6:18:42 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Voriax
Also some coordination might be needed so we do not use same numbers but that can be avoided if we keep first 2 numbers same as the oob file number..so all German encyc texts would be 'enc70xy.txt' format and the xy could as well be the unit number in the oob file...btw, these text files can have max of 4 digits or..?

Voriax

I have been accused of over complicating things but this supercedes me! congratulations!

Certainly some units use the same text file. Therefore a writer might want to ensure that any text he writes will apply to any unit that uses the txt file. In many cases this has been done already, especially with units that were commonly used by other nations.

This isn't very difficult. Just ype out some facts about a unit that you have information about. If it turns out later that the Finnish weapon you described was captured by some obscure French unit and used in the defence of Paris we can add that obscure info later. But this is far in excess of the task at hand. Simple data on the unit or weapon should be sufficient. See some of the text files for the France OOB for an example.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 17
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/13/2004 6:28:23 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

So, should we do the whole process? Build the txt file, give it an enc name and then add it to the oob?

Build the text file. - type it out and save it as a *.txt file

quote:

Or should we just make one file with seperated txt sections and then submit them to a central organizer who can copy and paste them into individual enc files and then link them to the oobs, thereby eliminating any conflicts?

No, that makes it very difficult

quote:

Another alternative is to make seperate txt files with the name of the unit and it's county of origin (i.e.: Hurricane_UK) and submit them zipped into one file to a designated oob editor person who can then can rename them to enc numbers and make the necessary oob changes, also eliminating conflicts.

This would work, I suppose.

quote:

Oh, I just checked the oob editor. I see that, at least in the UK, all units are already assigned an enc number, it's just that the file doesn't necessarily exist in the SPWaW directory. In the encyclopedia, the txt file will show up as 000, which threw me.

Most units have a text number assigned in the UK OOB.

In fact the UK OOB has a very good encyclopedia presence. Of course you may wish to improve on it.............

Open UK encyclopedia and look for example at the Daimler AC. You will notice the enc txt number 661. Now, if you open the enc directory in the SPWAW folder you will find enc0661.txt. You can edit this file to include additional information or to correct my bad grammar. Bloody colonials never could speak the Queen's English anyhow, could they?

Rather you send the files to me, old chap. KG has enough on his plate.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to TheChin)
Post #: 18
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/13/2004 6:29:04 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Well I can't contribute but PLEASE. A printable copy of Thew encyclopedia is something I have prayed for for years. Oh PLEASE

KEEP PRAYING

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 19
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/13/2004 3:12:23 PM   
TheChin

OK, I got the basic plan, I'll start cranking them out.

While we're making wishes, I would just like an external Encyclopedia outside the game. Sort of like this:
http://worldatwar.clone.cz/encyclopedia/
Unfortunately, that site only covers H2H and 7.1. Maybe it plans on updating?

Post #: 20
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/14/2004 9:22:14 AM   
Jamminji

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

http://worldatwar.clone.cz/encyclopedia/

Not quite a printable version I think, but here is a great online version. "BE SURE TO NOTICE THE UNIT COMPARISON", it is a little hard to see. I sure hope they update it to 8.2! Maybe we should give this site some promption and support!

jam

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 21
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 7/24/2004 7:10:23 AM   
Major Destruction

To be sure, this is a great online resource.

The SPWAW encyclopedia serves to describe the unit you are using.

I have been involved in this game as a player for many years and may find it difficult to understand what the new player wants to see when he hits the space bar.

Do you want to see a bunch of statistics or some historical data or how to use the unit in the game or what this unit is capable of doing or what?

The text file is limited in size but the descriptions you see may leave you in awe or at a loss. What do you want to see?

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Jamminji)
Post #: 22
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/3/2004 11:25:52 AM   
BEER

Updating ООВ in version 8.2 will concern only the text?
Whether it is impossible to make updating ООВ the USSR, having added some kinds of arms? There are kinds of arms which are not included in game and which were to be seen in it.

За Родину , за Сталина !

Post #: 23
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/4/2004 3:07:07 AM   
Major Destruction

Which weapons would you like to see included?

(in reply to BEER)
Post #: 24
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/5/2004 2:09:31 AM   
BEER

quote:

Which weapons would you like to see included

In the first very much it would be desirable that it has been removed SU-37!! This sample of technics was in the single copy.
And to add - 76-mm mountain to a down of a sample 38 years. About 43 years to replace infantry to a down of a sample of 1927 with 76-mm to down OB-25 of a sample of 1943.
It would be desirable to see the staff bus GAZ - 05-193 and lorry ZIS-42.
Transport tractor STZ-5 and the Jet mortar on its base.
As it would be desirable to see Simonov's (PTRS) anti-tank gun, demolition flame throwers FOG-2 and separate units with flame throwers ROKS-3.
In game there is no automatic device PPS. It is possible to arm with this sample of a small arms since 1943 paratrooper, scouts, crews of tanks and motorcyclists . To create branches SMG armed PPSh and PPS. With 1944 to arm branches of infantry and a cavalry with carbines of a sample 44 years.
Will not prevent an artillery tractor Komintern.
Tankodesantniki to buy separately from tanks !
And that they are accessible only with T-34 obr.41.
To appropriate to anti-tank downs their present names - 76-mm F-22, 76-mm F-22USV, 57-mm ZIS-2 odr.41, ZIS-3 obr.42, 45-mm obr.37 and 45-mm M-42 obr.42, 85-mm D-44 and 100-mm BS-3.
In the winter 41-42 years of an army of Red Army applied a snowmobile, this technics would decorate ООВ Russia!!)

It while all! If the list you will be interested by me can give some references in English, but the some people will be in Russian!

< Message edited by BEER -- 8/5/2004 12:10:38 AM >

За Родину , за Сталина !

Post #: 25
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/5/2004 6:31:11 AM   
Major Destruction

As you can see, the unit list for Soviet Union is full. We can not remove or replace units, except with something that has a similar icon and purpose.

For example, I could replace a field howitzer with some different field howitzer.
Or replace the SU-37 with some unit that has a similar appearance when viewed from above..........

Weapons can be added but they are useful only to scenario designers.

Note that many weapons are not different except by name. Rifles are pretty much identical, SMG's are very similar. Therefore to add a PPS is simply to copy the PPSh and give it a new name.

I can add the 76mm Mountain Gun M.38
I can add the 76mm OB-25 M.43

The lorry ZIS 42 is generic. It is represented by ZIS 5
There is no room to add the staff bus GAZ 05-193 or the STZ-5 with rocket launcher.
There is a generic bus in the Czech OOB.

I can add PTRS and Boys Anti tank rifles.

There are sufficient tactors for artillery haulage- stalinets and komsomolets. No room for Komintern.

We have most of the guns you asked for already in the weapons list.
Some of the names may not be perfect but we are restricted by the length of the name field in the game. Therefore see
45mm PTP obr.42 which you refer to as the 45mm M-42 obr.42 - same gun
similarly,
76.2mmZiS5 Gun which you refer to as 76.2mm F-22 (which is mounted on the ZIS-5 carriage)

100mm BS-3 is not included because I have no data. Would it be similar to the 100mm D-10T? Did the howitzer have HEAT ammo? what was the range? et cetera.....

is the performance of the 57mm ZIS-3 significantly different to the ZIS-2 or is this simply a change in gun carriage?

And the snowmobile? wait for Combat Leader!

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to BEER)
Post #: 26
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/5/2004 8:47:10 AM   
BEER

quote:

is the performance of the 57mm ZIS-3 significantly different to the ZIS-2 or is this simply a change in gun carriage?

And the snowmobile? wait for Combat Leader!

You are right PPSh and PPS do not differ almost from each other the characteristics. But to see it in game it would be desirable. Let and nominally! I do not think what to specify that branch SMG about 43 years will be difficultly armed with automatic devices PPSh+PPS. But it not essentially)

ZIS-42 was issued on the basis of lorry ZIS-5 but had half-truck a running part that raised his passableness on a cross-country terrain. It would be very useful! You speak that there would be no place that it to add, but it is possible to clean not necessary AMO-15)
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/zis42.htm

Manufacture Komsomolets with the beginning of war has been stopped and he about 42 years can be entered into a place STZ-5. Which has served all war. As rocket launcher it would be useful. But if is not present so is not present))) It is a pity as as Ammo Carrier you cannot add it.
http://www.battlefield.ru/stz_r.html ( rus )

The designation of 45-mm ATG can be left as is now, but it is necessary to change a designation the following of instruments - 76-mm ATG and 76-mm RR. On how many I understand as them are meant F-22 and USV (F-22USV)
It is possible about ATG here In more detail- http://www.battlefield.ru/guns/index.html

Down D10-T this tank instrument, anti-tank referred to BS-3. While there is an information only in Russian - http://ww2.ee/army/ussr/arty/100_field_gun_1944_bs3/info.shtml

The Ammunition were similar to instrument D10.Gun Boys can be not added, will suffice PTRD and PTRS) That you will tell about flame throwers ROKS and FOG??
About a snowmobile you can read through here- http://www.battlefield.ru/library/bookshelf/aerosani/aerosan.html

За Родину , за Сталина !

Post #: 27
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/6/2004 6:53:33 AM   
Major Destruction

Unit 100mm ATG m44 had the incorrect gun but with same parameters.
Fixed.

76mm ATG had incorrect parameters. Fixed
Now, this gun is the F22 USV from October 1941.

Vehicle flamethrowers are different from infantry flamethrowers. Otherwise, all flamethrowers are identical in the game. Only the name is different.
To include specific named flame guns in Soviet OOB is therefore of little value.

I would like to include the ZIS-42 but to remove ATO-15 means no medium truck in years before 1932. Not a huge problem! But now I need information.
Is the ZIS-42 used in the same manner as the American halftrack, for infantry carriage, or is it for artillery haulage?
Also, I would need a lbm picture of the ZIS-42. Is this possible?

Similarly for STZ-5. Can somebody produce a LBM picture for this vehicle?

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to BEER)
Post #: 28
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/10/2004 4:02:08 PM   
Major Destruction

If somebody can produce a LBM picture of the ZIS-42 lorry, I can place it in the OOB.

Is the lorry used in mechanized infantry companies or for hauling guns?

What is the start date, or when was it first used in service?

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 29
RE: Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers - 8/10/2004 7:06:03 PM   
Voriax

Here's your pic Done quick & dirty so edit if you want. Change extension to .zip. If it doesn't open just drop me a line and I'll email it.

Voriax

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Voriax -- 8/10/2004 7:06:21 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Unit Encyclopedia update: looking for volunteers Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI