Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Regarding automatic refit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Regarding automatic refit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Regarding automatic refit - 8/13/2004 3:01:03 PM   
wodin

After reading the discussion over at Run 5, this is part of the game that is new and very interesting.

Could someone from SSG explain it as Im sure there are people here who would be very interested in this new aspect of the game.
I was and I've been reading posts at Run 5 and didnt know anything about this change from KP.
Post #: 1
RE: Regarding automatic refit - 8/14/2004 4:14:51 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

After reading the discussion over at Run 5, this is part of the game that is new and very interesting.

Could someone from SSG explain it as Im sure there are people here who would be very interested in this new aspect of the game.
I was and I've been reading posts at Run 5 and didnt know anything about this change from KP.

Some changes from KP.

Extended Movement must now be paid for by using Reserve OPs. Mileage varies for different types of units, but in general the situation is as follows.

Move your maximum Regular Move every turn = slowly drain Reserve.
Move you maximum Regular Move every turn and use Extended Move = quickly drain reserve.

No Reserve = No Extended Move.

Bear in mind that Allied units landing in Normandy will start with no reserves!

Also, units not in the front line get bonus OPs through a process called Automatic Refit added to their reserves and also recover timed losses more quickly.

So in BIN, the player who can resist the almost overwhelming temptation to move every unit as far as possible and to put every possible unit in the front line will have a significant advantage in terms of mobility.

The Germans will start with significant reserves, but they will use a lot of them racing around the map trying to fill big holes in their line. They will find it very hard to leave men in reserve, and once in the line, the Allied air interdiction will make resupply a torturous process.

This change makes for some very tough but very interesting decisions. Ideally, you want to use Infantry and Artillery to create a breach, then introduce your fuelled up mobile formations, using their extra mobility to outflank or surround defenders, while picking of their slow moving support troops.

You get to try this as the US in the Breakout scenario, although you don't get your armour until a week into the scenario, as it was being refitted behind the lines. While you're waiting though, you get the undeniable pleasure of carpet bombing Caen.

From the manual this is exactly how to qualify for an Automatic Refit:

1) Not rely solely on Basic OPs
2) Start the turn on a supplied hex
3) Not have used its Action Capability the previous turn
4) Not have been attacked the previous turn
5) Not be adjacent to enemy units this turn

Important Note: In a turn, if a unit qualifies for Automatic refit, and it has a step or steps with timed replacements, then the wait time for those step(s) will be reduced by two rather than one.

Also, above the unit's movement bars in the Unit Display area is a Reserve OP gauge. You can see how many Reserve OPs you have, how many of those you can spend this turn and if you use them to move, you can see them being spent.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Regarding automatic refit - 8/14/2004 11:38:57 AM   
Rob Gjessing

You will notice in the current AAR - that as the Germans I finding it hard pulling my men back when I withdraw... some of my men are not able to get ample aupplies and because they are in the frontlines are finding it hard to refit.. so when I do want to pull back and retreat.. I have at times found that I have had to leave Mechanised units behind as they dont have the fuel or ability to move back!

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Regarding automatic refit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI