Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Take 2 and it's a go

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Take 2 and it's a go Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Take 2 and it's a go - 10/8/2004 3:56:00 PM   
Adam Parker

Second time into a proper Overlord campaign as the Allies and things are looking much better from a fun POV.

The interface polish that BiN has brought to the series really shines. Running a turn is simplicity in itself and the key concern a player is left with, purely rests with strategy. There's honestly no tedium to be had here for the force pool on the Allied side is very manageable as the game gets going and running 5 beaches, thinking forward, is a lot easier than coordinating 2 Soviet army flanks in Korsun Pocket. The Normandy campaign to a Westerner is of course much more comprehendable and I believe this familiarity helps.

As for the AI, well, going by what I am seeing now, it seems to have settled (of course this is nonesense as I haven't just pured foundations for a building or laid the fretwork for a deck!) but it seems much more at home now. Reasons for this may include:

1. Allied naval firepower left a few burrs in the Atlantic Wall this time around. The British in particular suffered terribly with 1 regiment losing 3 battalions at Juno. Allied losses seemed to have distributed themselves broadly this time albeit for a smooth ride at Utah.

2. The 6th AB whilst again landing very near Caen didn't blow any bridges owing to some shoddy clicking on my part. As opposed to HPS's Panzer Campaigns you can take a move back unless you reveal something previously unknown. This is great when you genuinely make mistakes (be honorable folks!) Yet, like PzC, do reveal something and your mistake stands! Well one AB regiment went just a little too far by a wayward click and missed its west bank bridge destination! Cest la guerre

3. This has led to a more fluid German response at Caen. The HJ still sits partly adjacent and to the east but they have amassed some might 4 turns in, threatening a stack of 4 entrenched AB and Commando units holding the bridge immediately northeast of Caen. Whilst countering with a 2 division-sized push to the west myself, I've needed to divert an entire infantry division to AB's locale, in order to obviate a definite 3 hex attack shift the Germans may be willing to employ very soon out of and east of the city! Turn 5 will tell.

4. I've also learned to handle Omaha a bit better. Oh the landings as aforementioned were more ugly this time (though not catastophic owing to some maritime brilliance on my part ) But the German AI seems to be respecting this front more now - less blase with its unit placement. A battle is forming ahead and I'm planning for it. The German 352nd has been winged but remains strong with 4 regiments on map (as a sidenote, it's interesting to research the readiness of this Wehrmacht division in your free time. A key placed division whose pre-invasion practice included the throwing of 2 grenades per soldier!).

5. Utah lastly, scares the pants of me! The Allies via the 101st and the 4th Inf have gained some decent hits but Jerry is playing a cautious game of escalation with me. The battle for the Omaha-Bayeaux sector will be key to a solution there.

Summary: After absorbing a rule book that shouldn't have been so frustrating (as it really has the hallmarks of a classic if a little more care had been taken) and receiving some key rules/interface answers here, I'm really having the most fun out of war game for a long while. There's no boredom yet and once I do tire after exhausting this main campaign scenario, there are some nice smaller versions to play - and then the promise of an adequate AI as the Allies, when I then decide to play every armchair general's dream in donning the hat of ObWest and seeing what damage a 1944 German OOB could really have done, had OKW not interfered.

There's a lot of gameplay yet to prove itself in order to personally validate the AI. But overtly, do I see $90AUD of value here? Pretty much. At least you don't have to pay another $30AUD to print the rulebook unlike War in the Pacific. That task with BiN is very manageable on the average home color printer at less than 60 pages.

Corps artillery restrictions, division frontages, landing congestion... these are issues I'd like to see enhanced eventually. But if I may, I'll take back my initial view of there being little "atmosphere" on the march. Some nice rules additions and tweaks do make this Normandy game grow on you and you can picture the frames of Longest Day, Band of Brothers and Combat as units move to their rendezvous. Find yourself a good book and settle back to a fair period of gameplay. If the editor proves as robust as promised, the life in this title should kick around for quite a while.

Stable but still unplayable for me at the highest screen resolution, some rules whose answers you'll need to find here, a few glitches calling for a patch but officially cirumventable by playing the AI as "Computer - " and as previously mentioned, definitely possessing that "just one more turn feel", this game rates a good 8/10 as a fresh approach to Normandy out of the "digital" box. A steep price but definitely not "wargaming lite". A classic war game in feel with a modern twist.

And don't forget the ALT maginifying glass - its a beautiful tool just like a pair of tweezers shifting the cardboard over the screen

Adam.
Post #: 1
It's like the AI has learnt - 10/9/2004 6:40:25 PM   
Adam Parker

Into Day 11 and though I've managed to amass some enemy losses in regimental terms, let me say the AI is totally beginning to teach me a lesson in blitzkrieg.

Around Turn 5, I rejoiced when the AI "foolishly" attacked my growing flanking presence around Caen from the southwest and let me counterattack to the loss of the recon elements of both Lehr and the 12th SS. Points to note:

1. There was nothing foolish in this AI sacrifice! 6 turns later and now my British 11th Armored is totally surrounded pending isolation south of Bayeux (correct spelling ) should it survive the next combat round, occupying 2 hexes, exactly as I had boasted the AI had done with its 352nd Inf in my "First Impressions" thread, as a prize for myself that time around. The tables have totally turned!

2. If the AI sacrifices something it likely has an ulterior motive! For the to-ing and fro-ing along the Caen front and to the southwest of Bayeux has now seen my entire Commonwealth line breeched both at Caen and southeast of Bayeux by numerous panzer elements including the parents of the aforementioned lost aufklarungs.

3. The AI is currently proving an expert at the Kampfguppe technique, darting combined divisional battlegroups mutliple times in a turn, from hot spot to hot spot for 6:1 and 10:1 offensives, even amidst the distractions of Allied air interdiction.

Where I originally berated the AI for not attacking or being aggressive, I'm currently being repaid handsomely. It is easy to be lured into a false sense of security in this game, to suddenly find yourself overstretched from your supply chain, high on the success of battle, suddenly realizing how pourous indeed, your once thought impregnable buildup of offensive positionings truly is.

My response on the just ended Turn 10? "The best defense is a good offense!" The AI of course just didn't wish to reward my penchant for military truisms today and instead hit my northwest arm of the Caen line, opening up the Caen-Bayeux highway to the SS. I've hardly anything in the form of reserves to stop them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I highly recommend this game No AI errors to date since that unfortunate supply truck incident. More like an apparition now.

Adam.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
RE: It's like the AI has learnt - 10/10/2004 12:25:19 AM   
Capitaine

I told ya, I told ya, but nah, ya wouldn't listen! That rabbit's a killer!! [/Monty Python]

Yeah, you really have to lock horns and punch/counterpunch with this AI. Espec. around Caen, I find it good to "invite" attack, then hammer back with a grueling counterattack on an overextended panzer unit. Of course, this only works if the AI doesn't "replace multiple losses in a single turn..."

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Take 2 and it's a go Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI