Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

sound and Movement of afv

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> sound and Movement of afv Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sound and Movement of afv - 6/13/2000 11:26:00 PM   
robot

I am having sound problems. Loud and then soft when i fire artty or tanks. Also movement sound of afv stutters like. Real low then real loud. Also richoshets come up real loud and soft at other times. Dont know what to do with speaker volume. If i turn it up to hear the loud ones blow the windows out. Have awe64 sound blaster. Most of the other things ive found, seems to be resolved in the new patche. Like crews not gettin back into tanks after repair. Great game guys really nice work love the sounds that i do hear and graphics. Please need the patch not goining to play till its released thank you for one heck of a game. Robot ------------------ Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
Post #: 1
- 6/14/2000 3:24:00 AM   
Warhorse

Let me ask you, I have the same sound card, what do the German 251/1 halftracks sound to you? Does the movement stutter, and a sound like drumsticks clicking together 3 times? I have this intermittently with halftracksm ammo trucks, trucks, and some others. Thanx. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 2
- 6/14/2000 6:25:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse: Let me ask you, I have the same sound card, what do the German 251/1 halftracks sound to you? Does the movement stutter, and a sound like drumsticks clicking together 3 times? I have this intermittently with halftracksm ammo trucks, trucks, and some others. Thanx.
I get the same thing with the same units and also with big artillery drops with fast arty turned on. I get the same effect with a number of other games too. Having a 500Mhz processor and only 48Mb of RAM I've always put it down to the feeble memory, a theory I came up with when I noticed that the hard-drive was going ten to the dozen presumably accessing virtual memory. Sound files can be quite memory intensive. I'm using an AWE-64 soundcard at the moment but I had the same problem with a superior card (forgot the name, Montego something or other) that a mate gave me. I've kinda come to live with it now. Out of interest how much memory does everyone else with this problem have?

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 3
- 6/14/2000 6:27:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

D'oh! I posted that last one twice somehow... [This message has been edited by Spunkgibbon (edited 06-13-2000).]

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 4
- 6/14/2000 8:34:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Spunkgibbon: I get the same thing with the same units and also with big artillery drops with fast arty turned on. I get the same effect with a number of other games too. Having a 500Mhz processor and only 48Mb of RAM I've always put it down to the feeble memory, a theory I came up with when I noticed that the hard-drive was going ten to the dozen presumably accessing virtual memory. Sound files can be quite memory intensive. I'm using an AWE-64 soundcard at the moment but I had the same problem with a superior card (forgot the name, Montego something or other) that a mate gave me. I've kinda come to live with it now. Out of interest how much memory does everyone else with this problem have?
Hey, I'm only running a 266AMD K6 with 64mb RAM, although works fine with other games with much more graphics, and sound, go figure!? Seems to be OK at times, last night, I moved some tanks, waited till the sound stopped, then moved a halftrack, it worked OK!! This however is not the norm, unfortunately!! I'm gonna check the size of the sound files for this, see if that'll tell me anything. Stay tuned;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 5
- 6/14/2000 9:54:00 AM   
Bing

Out of interest how much memory does everyone else with this problem have? ======================================= I've got 128 Meg RAM, a sound card that has given me virtually no trouble with any other game, including Jane's F-15 where the guys with Soundblasters almost couldn't play the sim, yet I have trouble with WAW sound files. I think some of them are seriously overmodulated, but I don't have $300. to spend on Cool Edit, either, so have to live with it. I tried reducing the wavetable input level, as well as the wav output levels and making up for it via my desktop speaker volume control. This seemed to work for a time, but it is always a few minutes away from a sound problem. Golly, hope this gets fixed in the patch. Byron Inglesh

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 6
- 6/14/2000 8:31:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Bing: Out of interest how much memory does everyone else with this problem have? ======================================= I've got 128 Meg RAM, a sound card that has given me virtually no trouble with any other game, including Jane's F-15 where the guys with Soundblasters almost couldn't play the sim, yet I have trouble with WAW sound files. I think some of them are seriously overmodulated, but I don't have $300. to spend on Cool Edit, either, so have to live with it. I tried reducing the wavetable input level, as well as the wav output levels and making up for it via my desktop speaker volume control. This seemed to work for a time, but it is always a few minutes away from a sound problem. Golly, hope this gets fixed in the patch. Byron Inglesh
Byron, hi, you do know you can get the shareware of cooledit? I use this, only do 2 functions at a time, but hey, it works!! My brother has a 450mhz with diamond monster 3D sound card, he has no problems! This really blows, funny, it only started doing this in the windows version!! When I was testing in the dos version, it ran fine, maybe dll or something else? I don't know enough about the techie stuff to troubleshoot, I'm just a graphics man;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 7
- 6/15/2000 3:01:00 AM   
Bing

Mike - Thanks for the info on Cool Edit shareware. I'm not so sure editing the wav files would solve the problem. My current sound card (Aureal 3D Vortex chip) features wavetable and wav out adjustments and nothing I've done there has made a bit of difference. So if it were a matter of simple overmodulation, seems to me reducing wavetable level and wav output level should have some effect, but that isn't done anything. I don't know about the dll. Sometimes the sound is fine in WAW - other than the halftrack wav files which I took out - sometimes not. I'm waiting for the patch, which I've been told will include new wav files in various packages. We'll see how that works before I dive into wav file editing. Thanks, though, for bringing to our attention that the shareware version does work. Byron Inglesh

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 8
- 6/15/2000 9:21:00 PM   
Supervisor

Well, seeing as how I did a lot of the sounds for the game, guess I should reply. I have a PIII 550, 128mb RAM, TB Montego II Sound card and Altec Lansing speaker system. Every sound plays just fine on my end. New halftrack and infantry movement sounds will for sure make it into the patch. I believe that the sounds which seem to get louder and softer are a result of one sound overlapping another. When units are moved quickly one after the other, the sounds will overlap and it will sound much louder than it actually is. As to the 'clicking' noise of the old halftrack sound, I have no idea. Could not reproduce it on my end. I'll go through all of the sounds and see if I can find any that need a 3db or 6db cut, modify them and they will be released in one of the upcoming patches. Probably will not make it into the latest one however. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on the sounds, you can email me directly at jonj@thegamers.net. I can even make on the spot corrections/modifications and email them back if you so desire... [This message has been edited by Jon Johnson (edited 06-15-2000).]

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 9
- 6/15/2000 9:51:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

I got an Aureal SQ2500 and had some problems like the sound (for example a gun blast) halting right in the middle of it playing and then continuing after a 0.5-1.0s delay. Turning DirectSound hardware acceleration off helped. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 10
- 6/16/2000 2:36:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by Mac: I got an Aureal SQ2500 and had some problems like the sound (for example a gun blast) halting right in the middle of it playing and then continuing after a 0.5-1.0s delay. Turning DirectSound hardware acceleration off helped.
I tried it with hardware acceleration enabled and disabled, no difference. Now it is the River Patrol in "French Moves" that is clobbering the sound. The sort of weird slant to all this is that almost always, I can bring back the sound by moving a tank of some kind or other. If no one seems to know what causes this, we'll just have to live with it I guess. Does anyone know what the revised sound files in the patch will amount to? Byron Inglesh

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 11
- 6/16/2000 3:06:00 AM   
robot

I have 128ram 350pII The richoshets will blast your ear drums off. Also the halftracks are like you said. The artty sounds are reaL LOUD WITH SOME TIME ACRACK AND THEN AS IF FAR OFF altough in same hex fire. When this happens it as if it stutters before the big boom are ziiinging of a live round bouncing around. If i turn up for low sounds my wife almost jumps off the couch when the loud one hits. I know nothing bout changing lvls are messing with the soun card. The 75 does the same thing but 37 sounds like its hitting cardboard.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 12
- 6/16/2000 3:24:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Bing: I tried it with hardware acceleration enabled and disabled, no difference. Now it is the River Patrol in "French Moves" that is clobbering the sound. The sort of weird slant to all this is that almost always, I can bring back the sound by moving a tank of some kind or other. If no one seems to know what causes this, we'll just have to live with it I guess. Does anyone know what the revised sound files in the patch will amount to? Byron Inglesh
Last night, the trucks sounded fine for a change, hung up on movement occasionally, but overall better. The halftracks intermittently did their little stutter, stutter, halt-move thing. Doesn't seem to be, from these posts, anyway, any similarities that I see betwwen machines, higher RAM seems just as suseptable as lower, hmmm. Still didn't look at the sound files though. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 13
- 6/16/2000 3:38:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

I first noticed that there was a correllation between having the battle/terrain sound option enabled and this interrupt/dropout phenom. I have an MX300 and I use the same driver set as the 2500. When I turned off this option the problem went away. Obviously, the battle sound feature is desireable, so I tried the previous suggestion about turning off the hardware acceleration. This worked like a charm. According to my documentation, turning off the hardware acceleration forces the system to use the DirectX drivers; which is probably what the designers intended anyway. So far, no other problems have shown up.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 14
- 6/16/2000 4:40:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by Greg McCarty: I first noticed that there was a correllation between having the battle/terrain sound option enabled and this interrupt/dropout phenom. I have an MX300 and I use the same driver set as the 2500. When I turned off this option the problem went away. Obviously, the battle sound feature is desireable, so I tried the previous suggestion about turning off the hardware acceleration. This worked like a charm. According to my documentation, turning off the hardware acceleration forces the system to use the DirectX drivers; which is probably what the designers intended anyway. So far, no other problems have shown up.
Hardware acceleration off hasn't made a bit of difference, the DirectX looks to install with the accel. off anyway, far as I know. What I have done, after reducing wavetable and wav output levels, is tried moving the offending vehicle types one hex at a time. This seems to help. Also, waiting until the sound file has finished playing seeme to help a little bit. I really wonder if omitting the sound slider - which we have in SPWW2 - was such a good idea??? Byron Inglesh

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> sound and Movement of afv Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI