Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sweden and Apache helicopters?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sweden and Apache helicopters? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sweden and Apache helicopters? - 11/29/2004 6:50:33 PM   
JTGEN

I saw an interesting things in Swedish movies DVD extras.

In the extras they are filming in the Swedish airbase at the north. They are taking pictures of an Hercules landing. At the backround an Apache Longbow helicopter lands. It is painted with some yellow markings that seem to be for trials purposes.

So, is this because Sweden is trying out the attac choppers (I think the Tiger has already been tested) or is US using Swedish testground?

The movie 'Hotet' was a pretty good thriller BTW. An engineers family is threatebed unless he gives up software on the electronic warfare pod on the JAS fighter.

Good flight scenes too. And I was pretty jealous to the director Kjell Sundwall who got to fly in one JAS as he was given a ride by a test pilot. They showed it on the extras with manouvers over the cloudes and then some high speed low flying in 20 meters abowe the sea.
Post #: 1
RE: Sweden and Apache helicopters? - 11/29/2004 7:13:36 PM   
Belisarius

Interesting. There "may" be some testings going on, but I doubt it. The way our defense funding is going, there's no place whatsoever for attack helicopters. I think they did test the Apache and Tiger some years ago but cut short when it was clear no attack heli purchases were to be. Heck, they can't even afford to field enough transport helis for the Air Assault Btn. currently in training. 18 choppers won't do it...

And yes, I think that our military currently is terribly poor run and managed, complete with politicans competing over who can make matters worse. No long-term planning whatsovever, just a matter how big this year's budget cuts can get. Unfortunately, while an extremely useful and nice aircraft, it's the long term JAS program that eats a lot of money. 180 aircraft makes a BIG air force for a nation our size. Another heritage of the cold war. Like your land mines, JTGEN (although that is considerably cheaper).

< Message edited by Belisarius -- 11/29/2004 6:15:09 PM >

Got StuG?

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sweden and Apache helicopters? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI