Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 12/31/2004 9:43:19 AM   
KG Erwin

Here's one for you--your commander takes the part of a partisan leader. This one is a counterfactual alternate history. You have two long-term objectives--the first is to rid your country of German occupiers in the WWII era. If you defeat them, then you have to face your "liberators"--they are the Russians. It is now post-1945. Your long-term desire is to become a democratic society, and side with the West. However, you are now behind the Iron Curtain, and the Russians must be driven out. I'd pick the Yugoslavs--they have some good units. This was inspired by watching "The Terminal", so your fictional country could be Karkhozia.

Now, to give the Kharkozian partisans a fighting chance, you could smuggle in newer weapons and even some American "advisers" as you fight to liberate your country from communist rule. This gives you the chance to use those 1947-1949 units in the database.

What do you think about this? Too far-fetched? Is it doable? You wouldn't have to worry about historical maps--you just use your imagination for this fictional Balkan country. Small villages, rugged hills and woods--all of this plays in the partisans' favor.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 12/31/2004 2:56:15 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 12/31/2004 9:57:34 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Albania? Almost?

KED

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 12/31/2004 10:41:36 AM   
KG Erwin

Just for fun, Kevin, I played a generated battle with partisans vs Germans--I wiped the Germans out, to a man. There's some potential here. Guerrilla war needs to be explored in this game.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 12/31/2004 3:44:06 AM >

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 3
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 12/31/2004 10:20:43 PM   
Bladrian

Alternative suggestion?
Directly after the war, the Yanks are in Germany, with good logistics. The German command structure is partly intact, as are core kampfgruppen.

Russia's intentions become clear - and the Yanks and Krauts combine forces to force open the Iron Curtain.

Should be fun.

A .22 LR entering the eye socket is more incapacitating than a .44 magnum shattering the wrist.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 1/1/2005 6:06:25 PM   
Dragoon 45

It needs not be fictional. There was a sizeable insurgency against the Soviets in the Ukraine, Belarus, and some of the other "so-called" Republics up until the late 60's and early 70's. This is very little known in the west. I would suggest using Soviet Partisans with captured Soviet equipment against regular Red Army and NKVD troops.

Artillery always has the Right of Way

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 1/2/2005 8:23:44 AM   
Bladrian

I'd prefer to use my Katz ... but I'm happy in any campaign where I get to wipe out, cripple, kill, maim, mutilate and destroy any bearers of that barstid red commie rag.

Yeah - I know I've got issues with that particular flag.

A .22 LR entering the eye socket is more incapacitating than a .44 magnum shattering the wrist.

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 6
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 1/4/2005 5:24:09 PM   
M4Jess

All great ideas guys!

The vote is complete for the next Depot Grand Campaign and will cover the Brits.

I am also working on 2 mini camps "BATTERED BASTARDS OF BASTOGNE" and "Red Storm Rising"

Jess

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 7
RE: A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew - 1/4/2005 6:01:30 PM   
Danny Boy

Anyone else read of Hans Joseph Wagemueller's exploits in escaping the Russkis in Czechoslovakia and heading out through Switzerland to join up with the French Foreign Legion and fight the Viet Minh? This is a campaign that I am currently working on... obviously got issues in keeping an SS formation through to 1954 and if you make up the OOB in a French slot...then you always have french names being generated. Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but it will consist mainly of theseself same small partisan actions, mixed with some larger scale Company size actions.

So, in answer to the initial question, I think these sort of games offer a lot to the gamer...so long as you can keep your core force turning up in large enough numbers when/if you deploy them as 'commandos'...otherwise you could end up with a large part of your core wiped out as there weren't enough of them turned up to play!

Cheers!

... "'Broadsword', stop shagging around and get on with the mission!"

(in reply to Bladrian)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Mini-campaign Suggestion for the Depot Crew Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI