Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

couple of rookie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> couple of rookie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 6:28:50 AM   
stretch

playing campaign as allies, assuming the allied industrial machine will make up for my early mistakes.

Questions:

1) the 40th Inf Div is on the west coast and Id like to move it. But it is lacking 411 of its support total (i.e 411 elements are disabled and 170 are fine). Its only adding 1 per day. Is it going to speed up or will it take 1.3 years to fill out its TOE for support? If I move it forward right now it is a big suport burden on the base I plant it at.

2) More general, I'm not trying to do anything big in SE asia. This being the AI I am against and not a human... if I move up everything I can to the imphal/kohima area can I easily hold there or am I going to get clobbered and leave india wide open? (I've read I can pretty much igonore China against the AI, which I am doing)

thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 7:09:34 AM   
fbastos

quote:

1) the 40th Inf Div is on the west coast and Id like to move it. But it is lacking 411 of its support total (i.e 411 elements are disabled and 170 are fine). Its only adding 1 per day. Is it going to speed up or will it take 1.3 years to fill out its TOE for support? If I move it forward right now it is a big suport burden on the base I plant it at.

2) More general, I'm not trying to do anything big in SE asia. This being the AI I am against and not a human... if I move up everything I can to the imphal/kohima area can I easily hold there or am I going to get clobbered and leave india wide open? (I've read I can pretty much igonore China against the AI, which I am doing)

1) You are reading (411) x 170; this means that 411 support squads are damaged, and therefore are half strength, while 170 are full strength. The TOE is 536 support squads, so you have a bit more squads than the authorized for this division.

Now, you want to repair 411 squads fast. The best way to do that is to move the unit into a base that has that base's command HQ. So you can move to San Francisco (which is an West Coast base and has the West Coast Command HQ), and it will repair much faster. Or you can also move to Hawaii (which is Central Pacific and has the Central Pacific Command HQ), for the same results.

You will probably find useful to send it to Hawaii, the reason being that it will be closer to the front, so you will use the time to move it there as time to grow it up a bit more (rather than bringing it full strength and then wasting time moving it full strength around).

Now, say that it listed as (0) x 170, meaning that you need 411 replacements rather than repair. Then you would definitely want to leave it in the West Coast, because each base will send replacements to all the nearby units, so it helps a lot to have an unit in range of multiple bases.

2) C'mon, play historically... you can't just abandon the good people of Burma to a horrible occupation just because you fear the Japanese. Queen Victoria II would fire you for that, and Churchill would roast you. Try to defend it!

More to the point, Rangoon is a good base and have the best airfield in the region. It also has oil: Rangoon and Myitkina have 100 oil, which are important for Australia, and if you lose the Rangoon-Myitkina line then you will find it hard to push a counter-attack from the North, as the roads are very bad there.

Also, if you lose your roads to Yunan then you will lose Burma road, which is a crucial source of supplies to China. You gotta try to keep Lashio open, as the name of the game in China is supplies.

F.

< Message edited by fbastos -- 1/3/2005 5:16:54 AM >

I'm running out of jokes...

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 2
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 7:19:53 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: stretch

playing campaign as allies, assuming the allied industrial machine will make up for my early mistakes.

Questions:

There is a difference between units that are disabled and the TOE not being filled out. When you press the 'Show TOE' button (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of the window just a bit to the left the display will change to show you the full 'on paper' TOE. If you are still short squads or whatever you can elect to wait or move the division now. The rest should catch up with it automatically. If all the squads, etc. are there, but some are disabled that's different. You can still move the division now or elect to wait until it's up to full or nearly full strength.

As far as the rate of the disabled squads becoming ready, they will do so faster than you have been seeing. They are at a good base, full of supply, etc. Just keep an eye on them. Sometimes units take a bit to either get up to speed or even just fill out their TOE when they first appear.

quote:

thanks!

Against the AI you should be okay, but against a human opponent you have to watch out for invasions by sea as well, and even paradrops behind you. I guard against invasions and paradrops even against the AI. Think about playing strategies that would be sound against a human player. That way you're better practiced for when you play PBEM, and you'll probably enjoy the game more anyway. Look at it this way: What if it were real life and you are in charge? What if you put everything forward and the enemy goes around you and as a result disaster ensues?

Hope this helps.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 3
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 7:45:35 AM   
cyberwop36

In my game the 40th was recovering slow like that even in SF. I fired the Division commader and the new guy has themrecovering 4x faster.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 8:12:18 AM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: cyberwop36

In my game the 40th was recovering slow like that even in SF. I fired the Division commader and the new guy has themrecovering 4x faster.

I'm playing Scen 15 as Allies and it's about late September right now and the 40th Division is pretty much up to fighting trim with no squads of any type disabled. I just left it in LA until somewhere about August when I marched it to SF for ultimate transport. For about the first few weeks I was sort of micro-managing this unit but after awhile just let it do what it needed to do, some things just need time.

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 5
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 4:34:33 PM   
stretch

I'd love to hold Rangoon, but the IJA has already moved up and attacked (Dec 31) and I just haven't had time to get anything else anywhere near there. Heck the stuff i moved out on turn 1 for Imphal area isn't there yet, and the chinese units moving up to Lashio from Yunan are only halfway. And Bufallos hardly suffice for air cover to run any supply into the area. Yuck! Imagine how frustrated the real folks were back in the day....

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 6
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 8:31:27 PM   
The Gnome

Does the leader bug include having loads of nameless leaders in the list of available leaders?

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 7
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/3/2005 8:35:55 PM   
wild_Willie2

that is just a bug you get after playing for about a DAY straith..........

happens to me al the time

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 8
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/4/2005 1:52:17 AM   
The Gnome

LOL ok, because I have saves of when that happens... 1.40 seems to have reduced the frequency and was wondering if it was related.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 9
RE: couple of rookie questions - 1/4/2005 5:39:18 PM   
mlees

1) The replacement rate for the various LCU elements is a fixed daily (or monthly?) rate, which you should be able to see on the ground replacement screen (a subscreen of the same screen you can view your current "score").

Now, the Allies begin with a butt load of LCU's that need beefing up, so if you start the game with "all ground/air replacements set to ON", it will take a while for the 40th to fill out to max. Once the majority of your ground units fill out (or get killed out of the game), damaged ones will start to receive replacements faster.

This will be generally true for you air units, too.

2) I have played the Allies against the Japanese AI only twice, but both times the AI stopped moving west once they take Burma. Evac some dutch recon units before the fall of the DEI, and in the later days of '42, or maybe early '43 by the latest, they can be upgraded to the F5A recon (with a range of 10 hexes), and you can use these to keep tabs on the Japanese army if you wish.

Leaving LCU's in Imphall too long will cause Malaria to take effect, reducing the number of undamaged elements in those LCU's by 25% by my estimate. Rotate with fresh units as needed. Chandpur, Dacca, and points west/northwest are out of the malaria zone. Let them recuperate there.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> couple of rookie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI