Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game runs incredibly slowly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game runs incredibly slowly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 7:48:56 PM   
Wolfie1

I've managed to solve the lock-up problems, and the scenario's play at a reasonable rate, but the full game (scn15) takes an age to play (over 3 hours to process the turn!) the sound is incredibly crackly (I've had to dial back the DX sound acceleration to get the game to run), other people have indicated that normal turn resolution for scn 15 is around 15-20 mins. I'm running a Duron 900mhz, 512mb RAM, SiS 16mb sound card. Any suggestions?

Do you need the Dxdiag?
Post #: 1
RE: Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 8:22:44 PM   
Mr.Frag

Helps rule out some obvious stuff quick.

Most folks who say 15-20 minutes have cranked all the delays down to 0.1 sec as they don't read them.

Not sure where a Duron fits in on the scale of speed, only had an Athalon myself ... maybe someone with a similar machine can weigh in...

(in reply to Wolfie1)
Post #: 2
RE: Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 9:14:16 PM   
Tankerace

I have an Athlon, but my dad has a Duron. If you have a Duron 1.3 and an Athlon 1.3, the Duron will run slower. Durons are really only good for office machines, for gaming it tends to overload them.

If you have 512mb DDR ram, you are fine, but a 16mb Video Card, 900mhz Duron, and 512DDR your system is going to strain to run WiTP. For all the bitmaps and such it has to load, I'd say get yourself a decent AGP video card (at least 32mb, 64mb is better) and if possible get an Athlon. That should help solve your problems.

On my rig, Athlon XP 2600+, 512mb DDR ram, 128mb AGP card, I can run scen 15 turns in about 6 minutes if I don't watch all the animations and stuff.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 9:49:13 PM   
Wolfie1

Thanks for the replies - I have managed to run Scenario 15 in 45 mins with all the preferences tuned back and animations off, I've been thinking of building a new PC for a while, this might just push me into it.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 4
RE: Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 10:21:27 PM   
2ndACR

Just for comparison's sake.

I have a 800mhz Celeron, 196mb RAM, and a 64mb Voodoo 5500 graphics card. I use all animations, have the sound directory re-named to NOSOUND and most delays set at .4 and can run a first turn in about 25 minutes if I do not use escape.

With using the escape, I can run the same turn in about 14-16 minutes.

(in reply to Wolfie1)
Post #: 5
RE: Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 11:38:27 PM   
Mr.Frag

Yep, the video card's speed is a hefty factor in overhead as the map is being redrawn as the screen scrolls with the action.

You might be able to but yourself some time before upgrading the whole machine by just throwing a couple of bucks at a cheap 64 meg OEM video card.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Game runs incredibly slowly - 1/24/2005 11:48:48 PM   
rogueusmc

I bought a 64 Mb GForce PCI card for about $40 for another machine here at the house...works well.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game runs incredibly slowly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI