Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

resolution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> resolution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
resolution - 1/26/2005 4:00:12 AM   
petdoc

I feel kinda stupid asking but, is there somewhere that I can set this? Have not been able to find this, and Im sure I saw an earlier thread stating that the resolution could be set. Thank you, Kevin.
Post #: 1
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 4:57:59 AM   
SlapBone

Resolution will set to whatever the desktop is. I'm running a widscreen laptop at 1200x800 and I'm happy to say that the game uses all of the available real estate.

This is the same reason that I like the HPS games.

(in reply to petdoc)
Post #: 2
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 5:03:16 AM   
IronManBeta

Slapbone is right, it is a regular windows application and will conform to whatever you set the desktop properties to. It is barely functional in 800 x 600 x 256, but to really use it you need 1024 x 768 x 64k minimum. 1600 x 1200 x 16m is very nice!

Some other games are hardwired to a certain choice of screen resolutions but not FPG. Give it a try and come back here or to the support forum if you still have questions.

Cheers, Rob.

Edit: fixed some stupid grammar errors. I try to code when I'm awake (fewer bugs later) and stick to correspondence otherwise and sometimes it shows!

< Message edited by RobertCrandall -- 1/26/2005 9:30:28 PM >

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 3
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 5:27:18 AM   
sabre100

This is exactly why I like this game even more, I love that it is windowed and runs in the desktop space. This windowed design should be in all wargames IMO

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 4
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 5:52:26 AM   
IronManBeta

Thanks for mentioning this. The first iteration of the game was "unskinned" and looked like Excel only with a map in the middle. Not too exciting! It made it very easy to figure out the interface (just like any other windows app) but it, shall we say, lacked commercial appeal. Matrix liked the game but wanted the look to be customized and made more game-like. The usual way is to paint a large number of screens and create a custom UI through code. Then whenever the developer wants to change something - no matter how small - the artist has to redraw one or more of the screens - too much work!

Then I discovered a skinning package that I could wrap around the existing windows controls. All I had to get created was one generic button, say, and then every button of any shape on any screen in the game could use it to draw itself. The artist only had to make one of each control and then he was done! Very nice. Rob Armstrong did the skin and did a wonderful job. We ended up with the best of both worlds and the result is as you see. Custom graphical look combined with standard windows UI and well behaved desktop citizenship.

Ta, Rob.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 5
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 6:03:07 AM   
petdoc

Thank you for the replies. Makes sense to me now. Does look nice on my 19inch lcd at 1280x1024. Excellent work and excellent game. Matrix has really been on a roll lately, and GOA and EIA still to come! My pocketbook weeps

Post #: 6
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 9:54:48 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Then whenever the developer wants to change something - no matter how small - the artist has to redraw one or more of the screens - too much work!

Not true, we live in the time where Photoshop supports layers, layer sets, nested layer sets, layer compositions and snapshots. If you know your tools and know how to work economically then adding and deleting stuff from GUI screens is a piece of cake.

As an artist I have to say that "skinning tools" for most of the part are more hazzle then "drawing" a custom GUI, because skinning tools are written by programers, not artists

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 1/26/2005 2:57:25 PM >

(in reply to petdoc)
Post #: 7
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 7:24:01 PM   
SlapBone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

Then whenever the developer wants to change something - no matter how small - the artist has to redraw one or more of the screens - too much work!

Not true, we live in the time where Photoshop supports layers, layer sets, nested layer sets, layer compositions and snapshots. If you know your tools and know how to work economically then adding and deleting stuff from GUI screens is a piece of cake.

As an artist I have to say that "skinning tools" for most of the part are more hazzle then "drawing" a custom GUI, because skinning tools are written by programers, not artists

What are you? Some kind of friggin expert? :)

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 8
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 7:27:00 PM   
Marc von Martial

Yes

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 9
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 7:56:38 PM   
SlapBone

quote:

Yes

Yea I knew that

Post #: 10
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 9:26:47 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

quote:

Yes

Yea I knew that

I know

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 11
RE: resolution - 1/26/2005 11:34:08 PM   
IronManBeta

Hmmm, yes that must explain why Marc didn't object as much as I expected when I had to request the odd change from his end of things. Now that he has gone on record to say that it is "easy" I will feel much less intimidated about asking for more changes!

Ha Marc - you're in big trouble now... Rob

Post #: 12
RE: resolution - 1/27/2005 8:48:53 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall

Hmmm, yes that must explain why Marc didn't object as much as I expected when I had to request the odd change from his end of things. Now that he has gone on record to say that it is "easy" I will feel much less intimidated about asking for more changes!

Ha Marc - you're in big trouble now... Rob

Considering the facts that I only did logo and boxart and the little images for the unit inspector, there´s not much trouble you can get me in to

Post #: 13
RE: resolution - 1/27/2005 4:53:19 PM   
IronManBeta

Also the splash screen and web site art that I hijacked and put into the scenario editor. You also did all the vehicle picture treatments.

Thanks, Rob.

< Message edited by RobertCrandall -- 1/27/2005 9:54:01 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: resolution - 1/27/2005 5:43:50 PM   
Catgh_MatrixForum

Don't forget the basic template and "satelite images" of the briefings.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> resolution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI