Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which option for Turn 1?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Which option for Turn 1? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 4:57:52 PM   
Grotius

I may soon start a PBEM as Japan in Scenario 15 or 16, and I'm wondering what first-turn options people recommend. E.g.:

1. Scenario 15, Historical start, Dec. 7 surprise, so that each side lets the AI plan its first-turn moves? I guess the advantage of this is its, well, historical -- and it doesn't require house rules about where to land, what ports can be attacked, and whether the Allied player can move. Still, I think I'd rather plan my own landings.

2. Scenario 15, non-Historical start, Dec. 7 surprise. I think this is my preferred option, but if I choose this, what house rules are appropriate? Only 1 Port Attack for Japan; Allied player can give no orders on turn 1? Or Allied player can give orders but can't attack anything and can't form new TFs? I assume Enterprise etc are still floating around west of Pearl in this variant; do PBEM players typically allow the US player to give orders to her?

3. Scenario 16? I don't see many players using this one. Again, I think my preference is to plan my own landings, but I'm interested to hear what people think about using this scenario instead.

I was tempted to ask this as a poll, but I'm not sure I know all the options, so I didn't.
Post #: 1
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 5:01:23 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Wait for the big historical mod is my advice!

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 5:03:44 PM   
BraveHome

When is this due out? What is the difference between it and the S15 historical?

Thanks!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 3
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 5:11:13 PM   
BraveHome

There are many threads in this forum on this very topic. I won't try to rehash them, they're excellent in detail and balance.

All I'll say is, stick with your instincts. The fun of the nonhistorical is mapping out your own long-term strategy, combine that with your shorter term tactics to achieve that strategy, and watch your plans play out over the years...

A brief recap of my balance thoughts --
1. Choose 1 major port attack between Singapore, Manila, and PH.
2. Allies can move any TF already at sea as they wish.
3. Allies can do whatever they want with China/Burma/India.
4. No other Allied TFs may be formed 12/7.
5. No 'I know I'm about to be attacked' type changes in Air missions 12/7.

Have fun!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 5:42:19 PM   
medicff

Only thing I would add to that are the distances for first day landings. I have a PBEM who had six phillipine landings, borneo landing, ambonia, rabaul, wake is all on day one with the hyperspeed assist - unable for allies to even react. I don't know yet if this is going to backfire on him, only a couple of games and no one so aggressive.

Also many consider limiting night bombing and size of ASW killer TF's to 6-10 ships. (although I haven't really seen anyone really go overboard on either yet).

(in reply to BraveHome)
Post #: 5
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 6:04:58 PM   
Halsey

We're waiting Ron! Want to use it with AB's map mod! Also can't wait to see Cobra's additional art work for the map. Now all we'll need is 1.5 and the fixes that it will force on these mods!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 6
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 8:07:51 PM   
Grotius

Yes, I've been watching the development of the historical mod with interest. But my impression is that it's still a ways away. Any ETA?

Actually, I suppose I should wait til 1.5 to start Scenario 15 anyway. I have one PBEM (Guadalcanal) in progress already, so I can wait a bit. Maybe.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 7
RE: Which option for Turn 1? - 2/6/2005 9:44:54 PM   
BraveHome

quote:

ORIGINAL: medicff

Only thing I would add to that are the distances for first day landings. I have a PBEM who had six phillipine landings, borneo landing, ambonia, rabaul, wake is all on day one with the hyperspeed assist - unable for allies to even react. I don't know yet if this is going to backfire on him, only a couple of games and no one so aggressive.

Also many consider limiting night bombing and size of ASW killer TF's to 6-10 ships. (although I haven't really seen anyone really go overboard on either yet).

That's about half as agressive as my first PBEM. But my caution is, be careful what you aim for, you may hit it

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Which option for Turn 1? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI