Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Non-penetrating hits on tanks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Non-penetrating hits on tanks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Non-penetrating hits on tanks - 6/21/2000 6:15:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

Can non-penetrating rounds actually kill or permanently disable crewmen? I've seen tank crews get stunned from non-penentrating hits but never killed. The reason I ask is that one of the hazards tank crews had to brave was the sharp (and often very hot) slivers of metal that broke away from the inside of the hull when it was hit and dented by non-penetrating AT rounds. This problem was considerably worse in the earlier years of the war when many tanks were rivetted together as the rivet heads would break away and ricochet around inside the tank. Apparently these were quite common occurances which accounted for a significant number of casualties. It's amazing what you can learn off the Discovery channel innit?

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
- 6/21/2000 6:35:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

It denpends how you define penetration. Since a round can "penetrate" but do nothing but kill a crewman, then the effect of what you describe is portrayed. By definition(mine) a non-0penetrating hit is one that does not affect the insides of teh tank (except for teh rare "turret ring" hit that causes it brew up)

(in reply to Spunkgibbon)
Post #: 2
- 6/21/2000 11:07:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

Yeah, I guess it's as much a penetration of energy as penetration of the actual shell that counts. I hadn't looked at it that way before. Makes sense to me.

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Spunkgibbon)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Non-penetrating hits on tanks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI