Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Panthers:The Rifle Age

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Steel Panthers:The Rifle Age Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Panthers:The Rifle Age - 1/7/2001 3:34:00 PM   
KG Erwin

I hope it's not a joke, but now we may have the capability to recreate battles in an era where one battle could decide a whole war. John Tiller's Battleground series on the US Civil War is a great game engine, but now Matrix is talking about expanding the SP engine to include the 19th century. Waterloo, New Orleans, Rorke's Drift, etc. This sounds very promising. Whaddaya think, guys?

Post #: 1
- 1/7/2001 5:39:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin: Matrix is talking about expanding the SP engine to include the 19th century. Waterloo, New Orleans, Rorke's Drift, etc. This sounds very promising. Whaddaya think, guys?
I don't know how that would work, I mean, tanks are the heart and soul of SP, that is why so many play it. SP with just infantry and a hellacious amount of artillery?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 1/7/2001 9:41:00 PM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin: I hope it's not a joke, but now we may have the capability to recreate battles in an era where one battle could decide a whole war. John Tiller's Battleground series on the US Civil War is a great game engine, but now Matrix is talking about expanding the SP engine to include the 19th century. Waterloo, New Orleans, Rorke's Drift, etc. This sounds very promising. Whaddaya think, guys?
I Think its great as I am big Civil war buff Been looking for a good civil war game for a long time..civil war generals didnt quite cut it...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
- 1/8/2001 8:43:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

A group asked for support to do a Civil war era game using the SP engine. They have put a lot of effort into it so we agreed to support them with some code changes when they get the graphics ad OOBs ready.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 1/9/2001 5:03:00 PM   
montgomery

quote:

Been looking for a good civil war game for a long time
Try Sid Meiers Gettysburg, I love it. ------------------ Neil Graddage (webmaster@graddage.fsnet.co.uk) http://www.graddage.fsnet.co.uk - http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.graddage - http://novaserver.2y.net/populous

Neil Graddage (webmaster@graddage.fsnet.co.uk) http://www.graddage.fsnet.co.uk - http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.graddage - [url="http://novaserver.2y.net/populous"]http://novaserver.2y.net/populous

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 1/9/2001 5:16:00 PM   
Recon_slith

If they find a way to get cavalry off thier horses we could use that in SPWaW. And for motorcycles. And for bicycles. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 1/9/2001 5:47:00 PM   
Supervisor

How about going into the 20th century as far as 1918 and doing WWI as well ???

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
- 1/10/2001 2:22:00 AM   
nikb

At the scale of SP a WWI game would be pretty sterile gaming, especially on the western front. It might be Ok in the more fluid fighting during 1914-15, however, after that it tended to bog down and would be hard to interestingly portray in a game (a game that would attract a market anyway). Nik

Nik

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
- 1/10/2001 2:39:00 AM   
sami heimola

Yes, name of project is "SP:The Age Of Rifles" now. And my team will make Civil War (and Texas/Mexican War after it?) era ready for it. Whole timeline will be 1800-80. So, SP:The Age Of Rifles will include couple of "parts" which covers Napoleonic Wars, Indian Wars and so on. It's too early to begin guess when it's ready... And situation of other timelines is open yet. Sami Heimola project leader SP:The Age Of Rifles Project

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
- 1/10/2001 4:47:00 AM   
Supervisor

nikb : There is a mod for both Close Combat 2 and Close Combat 3 that changes both of these games to WWI http://www.clubssi.com/thedugout/ In playing the orginal AOR demo I got the feeling that WWI could be done very well by this type of game

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
- 1/10/2001 5:27:00 AM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by nikb: At the scale of SP a WWI game would be pretty sterile gaming, especially on the western front. It might be Ok in the more fluid fighting during 1914-15, however, after that it tended to bog down and would be hard to interestingly portray in a game (a game that would attract a market anyway).
1918 on the Western Front was fluid as well. At this point the Allies were using planes and tanks in large numbers to put an end to the trench warfare. I could see SP being used for that short era.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
- 1/10/2001 5:42:00 AM   
KG Erwin

The idea of a 19th century theme is needed, apart from the particular focus on the US Civil War. There are literally hundreds of battles & skirmishes yet to be adequately modeled, so I'll be looking forward to a vast number of user-designed scenarios that will come from SP:TAOTR. I'm thinking along the lines of The Rise of Prussia theme perhaps, or Decisive Battles of the Civil War in West Virginia (yes, that's where I'm from) The game scale, that's what I would like to know. Will it be similar to SPWaW? In other words, how big of a battle will we be able to simulate?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
- 1/10/2001 9:52:00 AM   
troopie

quote:

Originally posted by sami heimola: Yes, name of project is "SP:The Age Of Rifles" now. And my team will make Civil War (and Texas/Mexican War after it?) era ready for it. Whole timeline will be 1800-80. So, SP:The Age Of Rifles will include couple of "parts" which covers Napoleonic Wars, Indian Wars and so on. It's too early to begin guess when it's ready... And situation of other timelines is open yet. Sami Heimola project leader SP:The Age Of Rifles Project
Why not move it up to 1920? We already have some WW1 era tanks. And if you like infantry battles, and it's obvious from the fact you're doing an ACW mod, you do, there are plenty of small battles on the Eastern front, and in Africa. And I want to do Boer war battles with those Krupp long range guns, Cecil Rhodes's gunboats on the Limpopo, Ladysmith the way it should be done, with the Long Toms smashing down. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
- 1/10/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Tim

WW1 - now you are talking. Its not the boring sterile fight most imagine not on a small tactical level anyway. I think combat leader would be a better engine for a WW1 based game (if only because i'm not a fan of turn based. Anyway anyone interested in WW1 should have alook at the CC mod FUTURE linked above. We put alot of effort into it and its an ongoing project. ------------------ Not bad value for a pommie

Not bad value for a pommie

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
- 1/11/2001 3:01:00 AM   
krull

Question is will they add Weapon diferences SP doesnt do a Great job. Where as in 1800 era rifles and types of guns made big impacts upon the battle field. Will those been in there or just a generic musket or rifle etc. thats what would intrest me.

Krull

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
- 1/11/2001 4:31:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I understand some of you guys wanting to cover the 1900-1935 period in the SPWaW format. However, it seems that all that would be needed is a revamped OB table for the various nations. You're really talking about an SP mod, rather than a radical redesign. If enough interest is generated, I'm sure Matrix will give it serious consideration. At least they should do so.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
- 1/11/2001 7:56:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by montgomery: Try Sid Meiers Gettysburg, I love it.
ya i heard its pretty decent but its just one battle hehheh, gotta have the peninsula campaign, shiloh, antietam,Fredricksburg, The Wilderness,Chancellorsville,Tennesse campaign,think of the possibilities!! Just the mention of some of those names brings chills to the spine!! Thanks ALBY [This message has been edited by Alby (edited January 10, 2001).] [This message has been edited by Alby (edited January 10, 2001).]

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
- 1/11/2001 10:31:00 AM   
Supervisor

I knew you would be here for this Tim. If anyone can sniff out the word WWI Tim will... Both the CC2 & The CC3 WWI mods are very good.. The CC3 WWI mod has a ton of custom made maps as well... http://www.clubssi.com/thedugout/

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 18
- 1/11/2001 7:39:00 PM   
Tim

I can smell the cordite a mile off! ------------------ Not bad value for a pommie

Not bad value for a pommie

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 19
- 1/12/2001 4:33:00 AM   
hhsohn

How would you simulate the trenches? My impression was that against small arms fire from level grounds wouldn't do a thing a squad hunkered down in the trenches. Okay may be some suppression, but generally safely out of the harms way. But small arms fire from adjacent section of the same trench should be highly effective. Is this possible to simulate with SP engine?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
- 1/12/2001 7:47:00 AM   
troopie

Men were always hit at random by odd shots. It's one of the reasons that trench warfare was so psychologically wearing. One concern I have about using the SP engine for 19th century warfare is formations. How will you model line, supported line, echelon, chevron, square, inverted chevron, assault column, march column, and the other close order formations that characterised 19th century combat? The engine does well with skirmishing, and combat in open order. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 21
- 1/12/2001 9:09:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Troopie, I guess that the design team can answer that, but that's what I was getting at when I implied that a 19th Century SP would require a major revision of the code, rather than a detailed modification for WWI purposes. I'm a big US Civil War fan, and I think that major changes have to allowed for in artillery rules (since they would ALL be on board, and of course allowing for the different weapon types) and skirmish line rules, etc. Formations? Absolutely! Leader effects would also play a much more important part, since communication was fitful at best, and emphasis on command control should convey that.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Steel Panthers:The Rifle Age Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI