Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Civilian Disruption v3 Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Civilian Disruption v3 Wish List Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Civilian Disruption v3 Wish List - 6/21/2000 9:08:00 AM   
Longbow

I wonder if there is a way to model in fleeing civilians (cars, trucks, people etc) to represent the chaos of war. The German's factored in the civilian disruption factor into their strategies. ie) anticipating civilians getting in the way of advancing troops.

Post #: 1
- 6/21/2000 10:17:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I've designed a few scenarios with civilians. Check out Angels of Los Banos scenario in the Game Depot. This is the rescue of 1,000 civilian prisoners from the internment camp at Los Banos on the island of Luzon. Your task of course, is to free the prisoners, protect them and evacuate them. No small task. The only problem with civilians is that they get shot at too much right now. I am all for a special group known as civilians, even some fifth columnists among them. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Longbow)
Post #: 2
- 6/21/2000 11:25:00 PM   
Fabs

Wild Bill, I would be interested in how you modelled the objective of protecting the prisoners in that scenario. I have designed the odd scenario with this type of unit myself (a fictional winter attack on a German held "hedgehog" village complete with casualty station, with casualties and even medical personnel), but I could not figure out how to give value to their successful protection in the victory points. I take this opportunity to express my great admiration for what you and your friends have done over the years for this grat game and its fans. [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 06-21-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Longbow)
Post #: 3
- 6/22/2000 1:49:00 AM   
Longbow

Wild Bill I tried the Angels of Los Banos scenario. The prisoners got shot up by HMG fire. I guess I better try a different strategy next time. This would be a great scenerio using a HUGE map, where they had like you said 1,000 civilian prisoners.

(in reply to Longbow)
Post #: 4
- 6/22/2000 4:43:00 AM   
Wild Bill

The marvel of it all is that in the real thing, not a single prisoner was lost. Now doing that in the scenario is going to be next to impossible. The secret is moving into the compound immediately and taking out the guards in the towers, then covering all the entrances. At the same time move your prisoners toward the west side of the compound near the wall. The buildings offer some shelter against enemy fire. Now as to the question from Fabs. I was not able to give them extra value points. I can't do that in the game. I wanted to. Keeping them alive of course, adds to your score. You have less losses, but then you suffer losses trying to protect them. So I suppose it is more of an intellectual victory than a point victory. Once I get them loaded onto LVTs and out of harm's way, I unload and count them to see how many I lost. Sure, its kind of, what would you call it, ...anyway, it is fun for me to play it that way. I personally consider saving the prisoners a major victory whatever the final score says And as you all know, you don't need a computer to tell you if you have kicked butt! A resounding score is nice to look at, though. And thanks for the encouragement, Fabs. We'll keep trying to do better for you. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Longbow)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Civilian Disruption v3 Wish List Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI