Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does anyone know how to....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does anyone know how to.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 2:05:31 AM   
Alby

Move things around in Spwaw editor, so the assume a different position in the Buy screen when you play the game???
Trying to get like units together rather than say Engineer platoon at top of page.. Engineer company at bottom, things like that...
Make sense??

I gotta stop screwing with this editor!!! LOL

Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 2:52:24 AM   
KG Erwin

Alby, this requires moving & switching a lot of units and formations in the database. I got my USMC organized pretty well. For the various categories, the formations are listed top to bottom as they are listed in the purchase screen. This requires some planning, as you don't want to delete a formation you want to keep. It takes some time to trade out formation slots, but keep in mind that this also affects the AI's purchases, UNLESS you designate certain formations for AI purchase only.

The USMC had empty slots available, so I simply cut and pasted them until I got the lineup I wanted.

What OOB are you trying to reorganize? If it's the Germans, good luck. This takes careful pre-planning and lots of patience--take my word for it, I've tried. The US Army is nearly as disorganized with all the changes over the years. However, it CAN be done, as long as you have one empty slot you can start the process with.

For the Germans, cut a unit or formation and paste it to an unused slot in any of the other OOBs-- then, you can start fiddling to your heart's content.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/6/2005 8:06:11 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 2:57:12 AM   
Wild Bill

If I am not mistaken, this is both hardcoding and also the work of the OOB team. I never got deeply involved in that aspect of the game but it seems that certain slots work for certain units only. I could be wrong on this.

Perhaps if any of the OOB guys are still around they might be able to help you here. It probably could use a little organizing.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 3:05:26 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Alby, this requires moving & switching a lot of units and formations in the database. I got my USMC organized pretty well. For the various categories, the formations are listed top to bottom as they are listed in the purchase screen. This requires some planning, as you don't want to delete a formation you want to keep. It takes some time to trade out formation slots, but keep in mind that this also affects the AI's purchases, UNLESS you designate certain formations for AI purchase only.

The USMC had empty slots available, so I simply cut and pasted them until I got the lineup I wanted.

What OOB are you trying to reorganize? If it's the Germans, good luck. This takes careful pre-planning and lots of patience--take my word for it, I've tried. The US Army is nearly as disorganized with all the changes over the years. However, it CAN be done.

I didnt Notice any difference in the line up in the buy screen when I moved them around in the Editor...?? I think I did it wrong though...Just moving them around didnt do it, youn have to go by Misc, armor, infrantry Etc etc...correct?
I did a MOD for use with Modswapper and some of my units are kinda scattered about the buy screen, for a couple of the nations, German is one!! LOL. Just trying to Tidy it up....I did hear this was possibly hard coded?? You have to use Hex editor or EXE editor>???

< Message edited by Alby -- 3/6/2005 8:06:41 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 3:07:31 AM   
Major Destruction

It can be done in theory.

But in practice it is not possible.

At least not by me. I've tried.

Some Nations are easy to work with and others are impossible.

Good luck!

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 3:15:52 AM   
KG Erwin

Ok, some weapons slots ARE hardcoded. AFAIK, the unit and formation slots are not.

Do NOT mess with the weapons list, or you'll get into a world of trouble. As I said, I have fiddled with the unit and formations lists, but you DO face the problem of AI purchases--this is explained in the "Using the OOB Editor 101" sticky in the Training Center.

Once you get the hang of what can and cannot be done safely, the OOB editor is a valuable tool. It i sometimes tricky, as SPWaW does have notorious quirks, but you just have to become accustomed to dealing with them.

Alby, listen to what Major Destruction and I have said for the Germans-- they really needed two databases, but it didn't happen, so we are left with the compromises that were made.

Now, I DID do some changes to the German OOB, but this prevents my ability to play a long campaign for any country that faced them.

This limits me to two long campaign choices--either the USMC or the Germans. I'm sure you don't want this to happen to you, so I'd recommend leaving well enough alone.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/6/2005 8:23:53 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 4:20:25 AM   
Alby

I hear what you are saying, I let little things bug me to death!
Like now at top of my Misc screen I have "Armed AT plt"
Then clear at the bottom is "Armed AT plt+"
I just wish I could get them next to each other!!
some other units I'd like to get tidied up but............oh well

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 4:50:09 AM   
KG Erwin

Alby, I don't know if you'd want to follow my example--the Armd Recon AT Plt in my OOB is called PzAufklPzJgZug. That's the abbreviation for Panzeraufklarungs Panzerjager Zug.
I went REALLY German in my German OOB.

What's funny about the German language is that they can make the most mundane things sound menacing. For example, a scout car becomes a Spaehfahrzeug, or an ammo truck is a Munitions Transporter. One of my favorites, though, is the designation for a tank--it is a Panzerkampfwagen. The translation is "Armored Fighting Vehicle", or AFV. Taken literally, their designations were not so much different than ours.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/6/2005 10:08:19 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 8
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/7/2005 5:08:03 AM   
Alby

You and Panzer Leo!! LOL
I'll leave mine in English for now
I have enough trouble when I play H2H figuring out whats what hehehehe

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/22/2005 9:59:20 AM   
skukko

Hi !

May I have your German OOB KG? It sounds similar what I was going to do for my own plea... but you've gone for it already..- so? Please...

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 10
RE: Does anyone know how to.... - 3/22/2005 3:21:24 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: skukko

Hi !

May I have your German OOB KG? It sounds similar what I was going to do for my own plea... but you've gone for it already..- so? Please...

Sure, skukko. E-mail me at gehiggin@hotmail.com and I'll send you a zipped copy of it. Two things you must know, however--one, the language conversion isn't complete, and two, the pics (and a few sounds) are taken from Panzer Leo's version, so you need to have the pic and snd files from H2H.

PS: Skukko, some files are coming your way. Hope you like them.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/23/2005 12:01:20 AM >

(in reply to skukko)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does anyone know how to.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI