Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Putting your relatives in harm's way

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Putting your relatives in harm's way Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 6:12:29 AM   
SpitfireIX

Hi, everyone--

I have a question about an issue that has come up for me in playing the game, and I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. My great uncle was a bombardier in the 43rd BG, and every time I order the unit on a mission, I feel just a little bid odd, maybe 1% of the hesitancy I'd feel if I had to put one of my relatives in harm's way IRL. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Anyone else have any relatives who actually fought in any of the units in the game?

"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
Post #: 1
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 6:16:56 AM   
rogueusmc

I try to play the game in a manner as if there were real men on real decks.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 2
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 6:31:56 AM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

I always try to do that in every game I play (unlike some of my friends, whose overriding goal seems to be to prove their intellectual superiority by winning the game at all costs). But it still feels different ordering Uncle Bill into combat.

"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 6:49:30 AM   
Nomad

Yep, my dad was in the Navy during the war. I get a bit shaky when I have to send LSTs into danger.

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 4
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 6:52:14 AM   
mogami

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpitfireIX

quote:

I always try to do that in every game I play (unlike some of my friends, whose overriding goal seems to be to prove their intellectual superiority by winning the game at all costs). But it still feels different ordering Uncle Bill into combat.

Mr Hands: OK men prepare to hit the beach
Mr Bill: Oh no
Mr Hands: Sgt Sluggo take your platoon up and knock out that mg

Oh wait you said Uncle Bill not Mr Bill.......never mind

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 5
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 7:23:43 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

That sound like MY family...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 6
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 7:25:24 AM   
Tankerace

Well, my grandad was a gun captain in the battleship Mississippi. I find myself gring at some points putting her in harms way, but on the flipside of the coin when she has off days in gunnery I yell "Come on gramps, you can shoot better than that!"

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 7
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 7:37:09 AM   
mogami

Mr. Hands: Hi kids! It's time for the Mr. Bill Show!
Mr. Bill: Yay!
Mr. Hands: Say Mr. Bill, I see you've bought War in the Pacific.
Mr. Bill: Yes, I'm gonna play by email and have lots of fun!
Mr. Hands: Hey Mr. Bill, PBEM opponent Sluggo is here to set up game.
Mr. Bill: Ohh, he's gonna be mean to me!
Mr. Hands: Come now, Mr. Bill. Your PBEM opponent Sluggo is your FRIEND. First, he's going to set the house rules.
Mr. Bill: Ohhhhhh no!
Mr. Hands: Say Mr. Bill, Look who's here. It's your dog Spot
Mr. Bill: Yeah Hi Spot
Mr. Hands: Sluggo says he will put your disk in the drive. (closes drive door on Spot squashing him)
Mr. Bill: I don't think you're a friend Mr. Hands all you do is let Sluggo be mean to me.
Mr. Hands: Oh you better watch out for enemy ASW .
Mr. Bill: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooo!
Mr. Hands: Your carrier TF has been spotted by Sluggo's patrol planes and guess what? you forgot to take your airgroups off of training.
Mr. Bill: OHHHHhhhhhhhNNNOoooooo!!
Mr. Hands: Hey look your supply lines are cut.
Mr. Bill: Ohhhhhhhh nnooooo!
Mr. Hands: Sluggo says he's made auto victory.
Mr. Bill: Ohhhhh! you are all being mean to me.
Mr. Hands: Come now, Mr. Bill. Your PBEM opponent Sluggo is just trying to have fun and play historicly.
Mr. Bill: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NNNOOOOOOOo!
Mr. Hands: Well kids, that's all for now. See ya next week, when Mr. Bill plays Scenario 15!

(Actually this is a preview of the upcoming AAR between me (sluggo) and Mr (Bill) Frag

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 8
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 2:23:50 PM   
LittleJoe

Advancing up Burma with the Japanese is wierd.

When i captured a load of brit troops at rangoon i almost said "Sorry grandad"

Seems like most of the players of this have relatives who fought in the Pacific, be interesting to have a thread about it.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 9
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 3:16:43 PM   
Twotribes

I dont have any direct relative that was in WW2, My Grandad was to skinny to join ( LOL he tried sneaking in with lead weights but got caught) and My dad ( the oldest of the family) was to young ( born in 1933). On my Moms side my Grandad was to old and none of the boys were old enough either, he had 10 kids but 7 were girls.

I have never checked my family history, I am sure some of the extended family served, but I never knew them so.....

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 10
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 3:48:24 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

quote:

quote:

Oh, come on, Mogami--that was really lame. I know you can come up with better jokes than that.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 11
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 3:51:29 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Same here. My father was on a AP from 43 on. And i try to keep his ship save. Was looking for his ship in one game and noticed that a AP was hit with two torpedo's and went down. So i try to save my daddy's butt.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 3:55:34 PM   
hithere

One Grand father was a tank commander in Alaska and the other was a boiler guy in several ships. mostly DD. I know that one got sunk but I can not remember what the name was. an interesting note is the he also was trained to dive with a aqua-lung. he has several pictures with it on him. he said they used to do stuff like blow up coral reefs.

on a side note, i know alot of people here are of the "advanced age" but if your grandparents are alive, i would suggest taping them on a cam corder or something. they both had lots of stories that were very interesting (if not exaggerated alittle) that are now lost except what we can remember of them. there is acually a organization that goes and video tapes veterens of wars to presurve their stories. I think the excellent show "band of brothers" has some clips, but it may have been for the show itself.

Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 13
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 4:50:00 PM   
LittleJoe

I would of liked to, but my Grandad didnt talk much about the war, he always changed the subject.

Must of seen some awful things in the Burmese Jungle.

(in reply to hithere)
Post #: 14
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 4:53:26 PM   
tc464

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I dont have any direct relative that was in WW2, My Grandad was to skinny to join ( LOL he tried sneaking in with lead weights but got caught) and My dad ( the oldest of the family) was to young ( born in 1933). On my Moms side my Grandad was to old and none of the boys were old enough either, he had 10 kids but 7 were girls.

I have never checked my family history, I am sure some of the extended family served, but I never knew them so.....

My family specializes in near misses too. A grandfather too young for WW 1, too old for WW 2. My Dad went in the Navy 3 months before Korea ended. He always told me as a kid that once the North Koreans heard he came in, they threw in the towel. I got discharged 1 day before Iraq invaded Kuwait. I often told my boys that once Saddam heard I got out, he went after Kuwait.

Did get to see firsthand a couple conflicts as an innocent bystander; Dubai during the India/Pakistan War, Iran just before the hostage taking, and the Communist takeover of South Africa from 78-84.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 15
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 7:01:37 PM   
cyberwop36

My Dad was in the invasion of the Phillipines and Owk.

He didn't talk too much about it. Only a few times after many drinks. Mostly about the massacre of Filipino civilians in Manila and he was with the 1st troops to liberate the Bataan death march survivors at the American Univercity [?].

All I really know is that he hated the Japanese till the day he died. He refused to buy anything that said made in japan on it.

History tells us that Japanese troops rarely surrendered. Dad told me we didn't really want to take any alive. They caught up to them, they killed them. Very ugly, brutal war. [As if any aren't]

Thank God for the A-Bomb or he probably would have been in the invasion of Japan.

(in reply to tc464)
Post #: 16
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 7:11:57 PM   
LittleJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: cyberwop36

All I really know is that he hated the Japanese till the day he died. He refused to buy anything that said made in japan on it.

Just like my grandad

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 17
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 8:48:58 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

Hi, everyone--

I have a question about an issue that has come up for me in playing the game, and I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. My great uncle was a bombardier in the 43rd BG, and every time I order the unit on a mission, I feel just a little bit odd, maybe 1% of the hesitancy I'd feel if I had to put one of my relatives in harm's way IRL. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Anyone else have any relatives who actually fought in any of the units in the game?

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this phenomenon. I had another great uncle who was a medic in New Guinea; I'm not sure what unit. I'll have to dig out the old scrap books; there's an article from the hometown paper about how Uncle Bill had a pass and went to visit Uncle Bob, titled something like "Mt. Carmel Brothers-in-Law Meet Halfway Around the World."

My grandfather Rigg (Uncle Bob was his brother) was a combat engineer officer in Europe; his unit was on a ship on the way to the Pacific when Japan surrendered, so the convoy was diverted to Norfolk, and he was one of the first GIs to come home from Europe. I've often wondered, if we hadn't dropped the bomb, if he would have been in Olympic or Coronet (I suspect not, as his unit was the 1313 Engineer General Service Regiment, which was not a front-line unit; they mostly built things in the rear, like POW camps, except during the Ardennes Offensive, when they were ordered to form a last-ditch defense line in front of Antwerp at the Meuse River--luckily the Germans didn't make it that far.)

My Grandfather Lambert was in the Army in WWI; IIRC the war ended before he was sent to Europe, though. He passed away in 1937; he would have been 43 when Pearl Harbor was attacked; maybe he would have become a "retread" had he lived.

I had some other relatives who were in WWII, but only Uncle Bill and Uncle Bob were anywhere near combat (Grandpa said the closest he ever got to combat was when a bomb landed a block away from him and blew up a street lamp).

Grandpa Rigg's (later) next-door neighbor was on the Whipple in 1941; I remember his talking about the retreat from the Philippines and the fighting in the NEI when I was a kid. For that reason, I also try to be careful with the Whipple, but that's pretty tough if you're also trying to play historically and not have the Asiatic Fleet just run away and hide.

< Message edited by SpitfireIX -- 3/27/2005 9:16:54 PM >

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 18
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 8:55:21 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

being german I give a $*** about it.

I put my relative in harms way when I am the skipper of a motorboat or sailing boat in hamburg harbor and have them abord

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 19
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 9:12:00 PM   
bradfordkay

A question for those younger than 60...

If your dad was aboard a ship that gets sunk in the game, will you cease to exist?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 20
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 9:36:37 PM   
RevRick

Dad was in the Marines on the Canal (in the 2nd MarDiv.) His older brother was flying F4F's and F4U's in the Solomons, don't know which outfit. Another of my uncles never made it out of Pearl - died on the Shaw, I believe. and another was lost on a Cat hunting U-boats in the Atlantic. I sort of turn all that off, metaphorically, but realize that there were a lot of families with 50% and higher casualties/mortalities from that era. Makes you glad that this current bunch of whimpy reporters weren't at Tarawa or Omaha Beach.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 21
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 9:55:58 PM   
Twotribes

My Dad did 2 tours in Vietnam, well one tour and 3 months, second tour got cut short when he fell in a punji stickhole ( which Ironicly probably saved his life, his falling triggered the start of the ambush), he spent 3 months in a hospital in Japan they didnt know if he would live, had some kind of NASTY infection. He retired in 84 from the Army and in mid to late 90's lost his leg to that old infection, come back to haunt him. He died a few years ago. He just missed going to Korea, joined the Army ( for one tour) in 1953 and was scheduled to go, but got the mumps and ended up in the hospital and reassigned. He got out and went in the guard in about 64 then sometime later went regular Army, I know we were in Germany in 1969 and he did a tour in Vietnam before that and after. He hated Germany so much he volunteered to return to Vietnam.

I missed Iraq the first time cause I hated Comm Company 2nd Mar Div and got a reassignment early to Okinawa, left 2nd Mar Div in August 90 , about a month or 2 before they stopped all transfers. No support people went to Iraq ( or rather no units, some individuals did) from 3rd Mar Div. Not being a grunt and being an Instructor at an Army school I missed Grenada and being a support person I wasnt with the Marines that went to Panama either.

Being a GySgt by 1990 prevented me from going on any deployments with MEU's . they dont want SNCO technicians, they want Sgt and below. I joined in 1979 and was medically retired in 1995. Permanent retired in 2000 on disability. Gotta spend 5 years on temp disability retired list, just in case you get better or die ).

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 22
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 10:08:55 PM   
Bill Durrant

Couple of stories on this thread:

A friend at works father was captured in Burma - survived but hated the Japanese and never bought anything Japanese. Later on he won a Honda car in a works raffle - he said to his colleagues, "Boys, it's time to forgive and forget"

My father was too young to serve in WW2 (born 1931). He did get a job though in the communal air raid shelter in his street in London. He had to sit on top and watch for V1's and if anything cut out nearby he had to rush in and bang a gong so everyone could brace themselves. He was promised a penny for every 'spot'. First one he saw he crapped himself, ran inside, and didn't bang the gong. He got sacked!

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 23
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 10:10:30 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

I also try to play the game under realistic constraints, even if those constraints aren't modeled in the game. Once at a convention, I was playing naval minis with a friend of mine who tended at the time to go in for really cheesy, gamey tactics. We had the Phoenix (my flagship), an Omaha-class (forget which), the San Diego, two Fletchers, and three pre-war DDs. My orders were to bombard a small island, and I was to detach one cruiser and a couple of DDs as a scouting force. I gave my friend the San Diego and the two Fletchers as the scout fource, as those were our only three ships with SG radar. My orders also specified that I was to be very careful with the cruisers, as they had been "borrowed" from a CV task force, and had to be returned in working condition. In the middle of our mission, our orders changed completely (the guy running this is an ex-US Navy officer; his scenarios are usually really creative); I was to intercept and destroy a Japanese convoy of two merchantmen with an indeterminate escort. While my friend was racing to rejoin me, I engaged the escort and wiped out the Kitikami (don't ask me what she was doing there) and three Fubukis, due to the inexperienced Japanese players' falling into a simple trap I set, just as I had predicted (basically I tricked them into firing all their port-side and centerline tubes, then rushed in and massacred them at knife-fighting range before Kitikami could unmask her starboard-side tubes). Meanwhile, my friend had finally arrived, finished off the Kitikami, which was limping away behind a smokescreen after having stopped a torpedo, with a hail of radar-directed 5" shells, and then sank the two freighters. We had lost two DDs, had a third one crippled, and sustained one superficial shell hit on Phoenix.

The referee told me that one of the Seagulls I'd launched earlier was reporting a Japanese CL and four DDs in the vicinity; he asked me if I wanted to go after them. I said, "No. We've accomplished our mission; we have survivors to rescue, and a wounded ship to safeguard, plus our two 6-in cruisers are down to one-third ammunition. We're heading home."

At this point, my friend piped up, "If the Japanese find us, we'll run away and forget about the damaged ship."

I replied, "The hell we will! We'll try to avoid combat, but we'll fight if we have to." However, at this point, the Japanese players, being thoroughly demoralized, decided they'd had enough, and broke off the action. I imagine we would have won if we had fought, but we would almost certainly have taken significant additional damage. This is one of my all-time favorite minis games.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 24
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 10:12:04 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

being german I give a $*** about it.

I put my relative in harms way when I am the skipper of a motorboat or sailing boat in hamburg harbor and have them abord

Good one, Oliver.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 25
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/27/2005 10:14:42 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

A question for those younger than 60...

If your dad was aboard a ship that gets sunk in the game, will you cease to exist?

Actually, if you were conceived on or after December 7, 1941, you will most likely cease to exist in any case, due to the butterfly effect.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 26
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/28/2005 12:03:16 AM   
TheElf

My Grandfather was a gunner's Mate in the Long Island. I take care of her.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 27
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/28/2005 12:38:49 AM   
Twotribes

Umm, why would the Long Island ever get in harms way? LOL, well actualy I sent her out to hunt submarines with a marine SBD unit, I guess she is in harms way.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 28
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/28/2005 12:50:16 AM   
deggo

My dad was with VB-104. PB4Y's off Guadalcanal and a few other Islands.
His plane was #60 and the nose art consisted of plain white stenciled letters "MOMENTARY DYSENTERY."
I see they are coming on later in the Guadalcanal scenario I'm playing.
Gotta be careful with those guys.

Scott

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 29
RE: Putting your relatives in harm's way - 3/28/2005 2:57:30 AM   
Mike Solli

I had an uncle who was one of the bow quad 40 gunners on LST 66. During the US invasion of the Philippines, there were some injures on the stern mount and my uncle was transferred there. About 5 minutes later, a kamikaze landed on the bow mount and pretty much wiped the bow of the LST (including the bow mount and everyone manning it) off the face of the Earth. Somehow she survived and made it back to port. My uncle never really talked to anyone about it until I joined the navy and then told me stories whevever we got together. He gave me his hat and I still treasure it.

My Dad was an MP in the ETO and was scheduled to "participate" in Operation Olympic. They were getting ready to head to the PTO when the atomic bombs were dropped. He said that invading Japan was truly frightening to all of them; much more than fighting the Germans.

(in reply to deggo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Putting your relatives in harm's way Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI