Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 4:11:04 AM   
Halsey

I've got some Chinese LCU's that have been broken down, then recombined.
Now their size and strength have increased! Over time I was hoping they would return to normal. They haven't!

This has been brought up before. Is it going to be fixed?

THIS IS A GAME BREAKER. A player can turn an ordinary division into a corps size unit
with a few clicks of the mouse.

Post #: 1
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 4:26:19 AM   
moses

How?? In all the tests I've done in China I've never seen this. I posted and argued extensively about China and I can't ever remember hearing about this. I went back and played around dividing and recombining units in China and it seems to work just fine.

So how is it done??

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 2
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 5:56:30 AM   
Halsey

Find a unit that has had casualties from combat.***
Break it down then recombine. It can be done multiple times. I've experimented.
Now I have a Chinese Corps with an AV of 6000!

Nationality doesn't seem to matter. Not all units will do this, only some.
Try it with units all over.

I also have a US Div (now corps sized), a Phillipino Div (now corps sized), 2 Chinese Divs (now corps sized), and 2 Chinese Corps (now army sized).
My Japanese opponent has also reported that a couple of his Divs are now oversized.
Everything in the units makeup increases, including its supplies.

This pretty much buggers the game, as an unsrcupulous player can multiply some of his ground forces for free.

This is from 2 upgraded version 1.5 games. Stock scenario 15 and 16, with no scenario mods.
Except AB's land movement mod.

< Message edited by Halsey -- 5/10/2005 7:51:20 AM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 3
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 6:53:13 AM   
moses

Confirmed!!! Unbelievable!!!!!

I now have the 18th Japanese Division at Khota Buru with an assault strength of 7151!!!

Havn't gotten a Chinese unit to do it yet but it only took 40 minutes to reproduce the bug just be dividing each unit after a major combat.

I just don't believe that this hasn't been reported before. It truly is a gamebreaker.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 4
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:05:08 AM   
Yamato hugger

Its only a gamebreaker if you allow it to be. Simple rule: Break a unit down, no rebuilding it. Problem solved. Then again, if you playing against someone that would use this exploit, then you are better off quitting (and finding a new opponant) IMHO.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 5
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:07:35 AM   
Charles2222

Why don't you just make sure the reinforcements are off after you split them? I do this with my air groups because I'm afraid I won't be able to bring them back together should they grow too large and unless reinforcements are coming regardless of the status of the toggle, I would think it would work for LCU's too.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 6
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:08:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

For now, please avoid this as a house rule until we can confirm and examine. Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 7
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:13:17 AM   
moses

It doesn't appear that reinforcement are needed. My unit went to over 7000 inf squads in one turn. This was at game start so I don't think there was that much in the pool.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 8
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:18:01 AM   
moses

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Its only a gamebreaker if you allow it to be. Simple rule: Break a unit down, no rebuilding it. Problem solved. Then again, if you playing against someone that would use this exploit, then you are better off quitting (and finding a new opponant) IMHO.

The problem is I suspect most players would do this accedentally and not even notice until days later. I break down a unit and then change my mind. I would never have thought that there could be a problem and might not always notice that my strength has changed. Some days or weeks later I notice I have a double strength unit running around.

Post #: 9
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:43:09 AM   
Halsey

Thanks Erik!
Wasn't sure if it WAS a bug. So I initially posted in another thread.

I

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 10
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 7:47:45 AM   
Halsey

Pretty tough to monitor this one hugger.
Most of the time it's not really noticed till way after the fact.
It's only after the unit becomes really huge that it seems wacked out.

Everything in the unit multiplies. TO&E and supplies.

Post #: 11
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 12:26:31 PM   
michaelm75au

HI
Is from a game started under 1.4 and then upgraded to 1.5. or from a game started new under 1.5?

And, if I understand correctly, that it only seems to happen to LCUs with less than 100% of their TOE?

Michael

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 12
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 1:30:57 PM   
tsimmonds

Hi, I'm IJ in one of Halsey's games. This is the third IJA division this has happened to. In all three cases the divisions were at like 98/100 beforehand. One was in Peking, one in Manila, and now this latest one in Colombo. I broke the division down to see what unit would now be on top of the stack, didn't like what I saw, and recombined. I didn't notice until I saw the AV during the LCU combat phase that my division was now supersized. It is now something like 240/252.

We started our game with 1.3, upgraded to 1.4 and now to 1.5. I think we have had units grow in all three versions. I reported this after it happened the first time and was told it was "on the list".

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 5/10/2005 2:14:51 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 13
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 2:10:48 PM   
moses

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Hi, I'm IJ in one of Halsey's games. This is the third IJA division this has happened to. In all three cases the divisions were at like 98/100 beforehand.

The Division I just had this happen to was also probably at about 98% or so strength. Had just taken Khota Buru from the at start forces there.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 14
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 2:13:53 PM   
tsimmonds

Looking back, I see the first IJA division it happened to in our game was at 49/50 at the time. I think where the unit is located probably has more to do with this than its strength does.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 15
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 3:29:20 PM   
michaelm75au

Yes.
I have managed (by trial and error, and sweat, and a particular sequence of events...) to get it happen to any LCUs.

Believe it or not, it is not just a simple case of split and rebuild to get this to happen.

Michael

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 16
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 4:23:33 PM   
Mr.Frag

Has anyone seen this in 1.5? (not a game upgraded)

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 17
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 8:31:04 PM   
scout1

quote:

I've got some Chinese LCU's that have been broken down, then recombined.
Now their size and strength have increased! Over time I was hoping they would return to normal. They haven't!

Holy cow, too bad I can't use this to create an abundant/experience Japanese pilot pool. The world would be mine

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 18
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 8:54:05 PM   
moses

Yes. I thought Halsey was seeing things so I tested it out on newly patched scenario 15 last night. I just shut off all aircraft and starting smacking ground units into each other. About the forth day I got the 18th Japanese Division to over 7000AV. I have a save but am not at home and won't be until tomorrow evening.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 19
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 9:55:30 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

Yes. I thought Halsey was seeing things so I tested it out on newly patched scenario 15 last night. I just shut off all aircraft and starting smacking ground units into each other. About the forth day I got the 18th Japanese Division to over 7000AV. I have a save but am not at home and won't be until tomorrow evening.

quote:

Yup - easily reproducible in 1.5 ... 18 IJA Division is good candidate for test since it sees combat immediately. Had 18 Div up to 7000+ strength by 12/10/41 ... but it does want a lot of supply - so for those who don't like house rules and wish to take advantage of this exploit make sure you have lots of supply !

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 20
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 10:40:19 PM   
Halsey

Thanks moses and jwilkerson. I appreciate the backup on this one.

I've become leary of posting possible bugs lately.
It's helped me to understand how people felt during the "Inquisition".

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 21
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 10:50:19 PM   
Yank

Ack! This is indeed a 'gamebreaker'. I hope Mike Wood has some time to look into it. I assume this only happens when you divide and re-combine on purpose. Does anybody know if this happends when LCUs transported by sea re-combine at their destination point?

Ils ne passeront pas

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 22
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:01:03 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Ack! This is indeed a 'gamebreaker'. I hope Mike Wood has some time to look into it. I assume this only happens when you divide and re-combine on purpose. Does anybody know if this happends when LCUs transported by sea re-combine at their destination point?

It requires a deliberate act by the player to cause. You have to divide 2 different units one after the other then repeatedly rebuild and divide the second unit to steal the data record from the first unit.

Mike already fixed one variation of this in 1.5.

If you accidently manage to cause this, you simply load back your save and adjust the order of your clicks to not repeat. That simple. If you suspect someone is exploiting this, flip me a save and I'll tell you flat out and you can go find an new PBEM partner.

(in reply to Yank)
Post #: 23
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:17:13 PM   
moses

I don't know it sure seemed easy to do to me. I think it only took two clicks (one to divide and one to recombine) to create the bug.

My concern would be that I would not have ever noticed this and gone on playing for some time before finding an extra large unit. With my luck my opponent notices something wrong before me and I get accused of cheating

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 24
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:20:46 PM   
moses

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Yup - easily reproducible in 1.5 ... 18 IJA Division is good candidate for test since it sees combat immediately. Had 18 Div up to 7000+ strength by 12/10/41 ... but it does want a lot of supply - so for those who don't like house rules and wish to take advantage of this exploit make sure you have lots of supply !

I'm not able to do anything tonight as I'll be at work till very late. It would be nice if someone could test just the 18th Division to see if the bug can be done by dividing only that division.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 25
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:29:05 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

With my luck my opponent notices something wrong before me and I get accused of cheating

Moses, there is a rather obvious difference between it happening by accident and you doing it to a bunch of units. Cheaters rarely know when to quit and tend to make it rather obvious.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 26
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:48:33 PM   
moses

Ohh you're probably correct and its not that big of a deal. I never noticed it once in quite a bit of playing.

We just get sooo excited when we find a bug

quote:

quote:

With my luck my opponent notices something wrong before me and I get accused of cheating

Moses, there is a rather obvious difference between it happening by accident and you doing it to a bunch of units. Cheaters rarely know when to quit and tend to make it rather obvious.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 27
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:58:10 PM   
Halsey

Only if breaking down and later recombining is considered deliberate.
Some players, like Irrelevant, does it to change the stacking order of his attacking units.
Since the top stacked units take the heavy hits in land combat. It's not intentional.

If a player is not paying attention, they might not even notice it.
That is, if he knows about it. I'm guessing most players don't.

I've only witnessed it in units division sized and larger doing recombination and breakdown routines.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 28
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/10/2005 11:59:33 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I've only witnessed it in units division sized and larger doing recombination and breakdown routines.

Thats because it only happens with units that split into 3 parts.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 29
RE: Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker - 5/11/2005 12:05:37 AM   
Halsey

My concern is that most players don't watch the LCU resolution phase.
That's going to be the only time an opposing player is going to notice it.

That is, if they know what they're looking at.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Oversized LCU's Gamebreaker Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI