Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Political Points & Changing bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Political Points & Changing bases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Political Points & Changing bases - 5/15/2005 1:18:17 PM   
SgtSwanson

After going through the archives on this, I'm still a little lost. Sure I understand WHAT PP's are used for, but what's the sence of havign them when their not connected to your stratigey like they were in the original game (in that you spent some when assigning objectives)? And since changing base alignment doesn't really matter in the sence that you can change what units you need to, then where does the "Future Objective" feature come into play in all this?

And why would you even want to change who a base belongs to? In the original game if I remember correctly, when you change the HQ of a base everything on that base also changed to the new HQ. I can understand changing a base to save some units in the early part of a game, but after that?

Sgt Swanson
87-93 5/502 Inf. Berlin Bde
93-95 2/502 Inf. 101st Airborne Div.
Freedom is never free!!

Patch of the Week: 6th Infantry Division
Post #: 1
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/15/2005 4:35:43 PM   
Halsey

Use PP's to change out officers for LCU's, ships, airgroups, and TF commanders.
Forget about base changing, it's not needed.
PP's can be used to free up restricted command units so that they can be moved to different theatres.

< Message edited by Halsey -- 5/15/2005 5:31:15 PM >

(in reply to SgtSwanson)
Post #: 2
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/16/2005 6:58:00 AM   
Yamato hugger

I think what SgtSwanson is getting at is in the original PacWar, the HQ a unit (and base) was assigned to mattered. In this game there doesnt seem to be any reason to re-assign land units other than to move them from the PI, DEI, or US West coast. There is no penalty for operating NoPac units on Java for example and therefore no reason to re-assign them to SW Pac HQ. Now I do know that air units dont like to upgrade if they arent close to their assigned HQ, but other than that, unit assignments mean very little it seems.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 3
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/16/2005 1:39:57 PM   
Andy Mac

Only difference to the advice below is that is that if you are blockaded on the West Coast by IJN CV's a PP's can be used to send west coast Inf RCT's and Seabee engineers to Karachi on a 60 day delay which can be very usefull.

Andy

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 4
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/16/2005 9:44:29 PM   
BraveHome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Use PP's to change out officers for LCU's, ships, airgroups, and TF commanders.
Forget about base changing, it's not needed.
PP's can be used to free up restricted command units so that they can be moved to different theatres.

I'm sure you're right, but I seem to remember empirically that during my drive (as Japan) up towards Burma, the bases were divided between Burma and Southern Army. When I got the Burma Army HQ up there with them (finally), Burma controlled bases seemed to get more supply than Southern ones. If I wanted a base to get more supply, I had to switch it to one related the major HQ in the area.

So this is perhaps one case in which a base's allegiance can matter.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 5
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/17/2005 2:56:27 AM   
SgtSwanson

I can understand that BraveHome. And the air units being closer for better supply. But, it's nice to know that others are seeing the same thing I am.

BTW: how do you get a unit to change where it comes in at? I didn't know you could do that. I was alway trying to figure out how to base hop air units all the way from SF to India.

Sgt Swanson
87-93 5/502 Inf. Berlin Bde
93-95 2/502 Inf. 101st Airborne Div.
Freedom is never free!!

Patch of the Week: 6th Infantry Division

(in reply to BraveHome)
Post #: 6
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/17/2005 3:01:21 AM   
Halsey

In this game there is no option for reinforcement placement.

Some of the added scenarios (check out Pry's), have the units of corresponding HQ's arriving at their theatre location. Such as SEAC units arriving in Karachi instead of SF.

(in reply to SgtSwanson)
Post #: 7
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/17/2005 6:24:45 AM   
CapAndGown

I wish to disagree. At least slightly. Changing bases can be somewhat useful for some limited purposes. For instance, the Ryuku's (Okinawa, et. al.) and the Kuriles start the game attached to southern area army and northern area army respectively. If you reattach them to home defense force, then your home defense force air units can rebase to them. This may actually save you a few PPs in setting up a naval search/asw patrol network with home defense forces. Plus, it simply gives your home defense forces some added flexibility.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 8
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/17/2005 7:10:32 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

I wish to disagree. At least slightly. Changing bases can be somewhat useful for some limited purposes. For instance, the Ryuku's (Okinawa, et. al.) and the Kuriles start the game attached to southern area army and northern area army respectively. If you reattach them to home defense force, then your home defense force air units can rebase to them. This may actually save you a few PPs in setting up a naval search/asw patrol network with home defense forces. Plus, it simply gives your home defense forces some added flexibility.

You would have to base one hellva lot of Home Defense A/C there to even come close to this being practical vs changing the HQ of the air units themselves.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 9
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/21/2005 9:17:32 AM   
Halsey

As the Allies I have found ONE good reason to change bases.
To build PT boats you have to have an American base. So if you want PT's in SEAC one of their ports needs to be swapped out for a US base.

Now you won't have to transfer the little buggers.

Edit: Damn! You can't change a SEAC base! Have to try an AK TF.

Edit: Has to be a US AK TF.

< Message edited by Halsey -- 5/22/2005 4:19:07 AM >

(in reply to SgtSwanson)
Post #: 10
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/21/2005 10:29:59 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

You would have to base one hellva lot of Home Defense A/C there to even come close to this being practical vs changing the HQ of the air units themselves.

Not true. To convert Naha from Southern area army to home defense force costs less than change one chutai of Jakes to Southern area army. I think the Jap player at the begining should probably go ahead and change the Ryukyu and Kurile bases to home defense force before they are built up. To change paramashimo jima only cost 30 PP at the start of the game. A cheap price to pay to base some home defense force fighters and patrol planes there.

Post #: 11
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/21/2005 7:05:06 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
Not true. To convert Naha from Southern area army to home defense force costs less than change one chutai of Jakes to Southern area army. I think the Jap player at the begining should probably go ahead and change the Ryukyu and Kurile bases to home defense force before they are built up. To change paramashimo jima only cost 30 PP at the start of the game. A cheap price to pay to base some home defense force fighters and patrol planes there.

I guess that is a valid point, if you look that far ahead. Seems to me you are still better off re-assigning the air units thus being able to use them anywhere at any time vs being chained to the home islands and waiting for the enemy to come near enough to use them. And if you look at the PPs Japan would probably have in late 44 by the time the allies move into range, the few points it would cost to convert would be meaningless to the Jap player.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 12
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/25/2005 3:53:48 AM   
Rexor

This is the one subject that, as a newbie, has been dogging me. I can work through most of the mysterious things of this game, but I'm caught up short by HQs. What do I gain by reassigning units--land, sea or air--to other, closer commands? And are all the commands represented by actual units on the map? And how do the HQs represented on the left edge of the big strategic map differ from all the other HQs represented in the game? Can you attach a unit to one of the "lesser," non-command HQs? The manual doesn't get into this that much, and I'm only confused by much of the postings. I have a whole slew of units of all sorts right now in a scenario that are attached to God knows what HQ (some of them thousands of miles away), and I believe I should do something about it--but what? and why?

Post #: 13
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/25/2005 4:44:24 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rexor

This is the one subject that, as a newbie, has been dogging me. I can work through most of the mysterious things of this game, but I'm caught up short by HQs. What do I gain by reassigning units--land, sea or air--to other, closer commands?

The only thing this really affects is air replacements. You want an air unit to be in a certain proximity to its area HQ. Read 15.2. LCUs only need to be able to trace supply to draw replacements, HQ doesn't matter. See 15.3. Also, LCUs can derive a combat benefit from proximity to their area HQ. See 8.1.1 and 8.4. Study these in the bathroom for several days.

Except for the effect they have on repairing damaged ships, HQ considerations have no effect on naval units. Air HQs can make air units within range fly more reliably and with better coordination. Corps/Army HQ give a combat benefit to LCUs in their hex, plus provide vital support squads to help LCUs recover disruption/fatigue. But any support squads, not just those in HQs, will do that.

quote:

And are all the commands represented by actual units on the map? And how do the HQs represented on the left edge of the big strategic map differ from all the other HQs represented in the game?

The HQs on the left edge are area commands. These HQs are mainly important insofar as some of the area commands are restricted. Units belonging to a restricted command may not load onto ships. Air units belonging to a restricted command may not transfer to a base belonging to another command. These are probably the most important effects of the area command structure.

Area HQs will also try to stockpile supply in the hex they occupy, up to 25,000 supply above and beyond the normal requirements of the units in that hex. They will draw supply to themselves from far and wide along land supply paths, frequently from locations that will surprise, dismay, and even annoy you (think frontline).

quote:

Can you attach a unit to one of the "lesser," non-command HQs?

Nope

quote:

The manual doesn't get into this that much, and I'm only confused by much of the postings. I have a whole slew of units of all sorts right now in a scenario that are attached to God knows what HQ (some of them thousands of miles away), and I believe I should do something about it--but what? and why?

Except as outlined above, don't sweat it. You can spend plenty time later making the game more challenging for yourself by keeping your HQ assignments in order, but these are the main effects of the area HQs.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 5/25/2005 5:15:19 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 14
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/25/2005 5:16:30 AM   
Rexor

Thanks a bunch Irrelevant for the... er, relevant info. This sorts me out. So I can assume that even those air units in need of replacements need not draw the replacements themselves from the HQ they're attached to? They can be clear across the Pacific and draw stuff from the nearest (within range) HQ?

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 15
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/25/2005 5:24:06 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

They can be clear across the Pacific and draw stuff from the nearest (within range) HQ?

Yes, but you need to read 15.2 carefully. The distance between 1) the air unit and 2) the area HQ controlling the base the air unit is stationed at, has an effect on where the replacements appear.

(Going by memory here)

If the base the air unit is at is further away from the base's HQ than the a/c type's maximum range, the replacement a/c will appear in a new air unit fragment that is located with the HQ. As this is a PIA, you don't really want this.

I am not certain whether it is the max range, or 2X max range, or 2X extended range. It is one of those. Just read 15.2 (or wait and see if some other helpful person posts a clarification).

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 5/25/2005 5:25:24 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 16
RE: Political Points & Changing bases - 5/25/2005 5:46:32 AM   
Rexor

Got it. Found it. You rock.

This game is ruining my marriage.......

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Political Points & Changing bases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI