Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dot Bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Dot Bases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 1:32:33 AM   
thebeis

Hello,
New 1.51 versus the AI. Playing as USA. Scenario 12

When trying to build ports or airfields at USA dot bases. It can not be done.

Units with assualt values have "Deliberate and Shock Attack" available. I can attack the dot bases and the Combat Report says I captured the base. But the next turn I can attack again.

The dot bases show the proper command.

< Message edited by thebeis -- 6/6/2005 1:37:54 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 1:45:49 AM   
m10bob

Same problem I am experiencing,(and I was not sure if it was because I am using CHS),but I have reported the following:The Japanese attacked 4 of those "dot" locations,(unmanned),and took them..They did not cheer in Japanese,but in English,and the next turn,In fact,every day for the next week they have been "re-taking" the same location all over again..At the end of each "day",I have checked and the "dot" has changed to red to denote change of ownership,but it's not "taking"....
The Japanese are the AI player..
Apparently,these Japanese units will end their land-borne operations..for in taking the same objective from now on..they have entered the battlefields,of...."The Twilight Zone"..
(doo dee doo doo,doo dee doo doooo)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 6/6/2005 1:48:20 AM >

(in reply to thebeis)
Post #: 2
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 2:02:59 AM   
Terminus

I didn't actually think you could take the "dot" locations directly, just "on the fly" when you captured a real base close to them. The only thing I've ever used a "dot" for is a seaplane anchorage, complete with AV or AVD.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 2:20:08 AM   
Halsey

Dot bases are just like an unimproved base. They can be attacked and built up.
I don't have the 1.51 Beta, so no problem with the current version when doing this.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 3:19:28 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Dot bases are just like an unimproved base. They can be attacked and built up.

Is it worth the effort? Aren't their potential sizes too small?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 5
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 3:29:57 AM   
Halsey

Most can go to level 3. Good for single engine AC.
Location decides if it's worth it or not.
They do take some time and effort to build up.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 4:05:40 AM   
bradfordkay

I am experiencing the same situation as m10bob. In my game the AI has landed troops at Damaguete (sp?) in the central Philippines, the last Philippine location that was still a green dot. They of course captured it, since they had destroyed my last troops in the area months ago (my game is up to Aug 23, '42), and gave the three cheers in what sounds like a drunken Aussie accent. Now, every turn they reattack that location and recapture it (even though it starts the day as a red hex).

A couple of days later, the AI Japanese invaded one of the Dutch bases (not a dot hex) in western New Guinea and captured it, giving their traditional Banzai cheer upon capture. The next day there was no new attempt to capture the previously captured base.

I had not reported this earlier, because I am playing a v1.4 game that has been upgraded twice (v1.5 and now v1.51), on Andrew's scenario 116. However, there appears to be a pattern of strange behaviour with the dot hexes in v1.51, so I figured I'd put in my experiences now.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 7
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 5:03:39 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I am experiencing the same situation as m10bob. In my game the AI has landed troops at Damaguete (sp?) in the central Philippines, the last Philippine location that was still a green dot. They of course captured it, since they had destroyed my last troops in the area months ago (my game is up to Aug 23, '42), and gave the three cheers in what sounds like a drunken Aussie accent. Now, every turn they reattack that location and recapture it (even though it starts the day as a red hex).

A couple of days later, the AI Japanese invaded one of the Dutch bases (not a dot hex) in western New Guinea and captured it, giving their traditional Banzai cheer upon capture. The next day there was no new attempt to capture the previously captured base.

I had not reported this earlier, because I am playing a v1.4 game that has been upgraded twice (v1.5 and now v1.51), on Andrew's scenario 116. However, there appears to be a pattern of strange behaviour with the dot hexes in v1.51, so I figured I'd put in my experiences now.

Yeah,I agree,it seems to only be the "dot hexes".They give the traditional "Banzai" when they capture improved areas,and don't try to take them again after that..

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 8:23:04 PM   
Rainer

Playing 1.51 (started with 1.5) Allied Human vs Japanese AI a small Japanese Force landed at Dobodura unopposed a couple of days ago. Since then AI each turn shock attacks the dot and occupies it. Next turn (daily turns) the same procedure happens again. AI obviously confused about the status (ownership) of the dor hex. Would be a minor glitch, BUT: AI decided to send a destroyer TF to shell the dot base. This in turn triggered aircraft from Port Moresby to attack the destroyers. Quite successfully (4 out of 7 sunk).
So I believe it's a bug that should be addressed.
Regards
Rainer

(in reply to thebeis)
Post #: 9
RE: Dot Bases - 6/6/2005 9:07:42 PM   
Brausepaul

Dot base at Ndini was used by one of my AVDs to support a PBY squadron. I decided to built up a small base there while the AVD + squadron was still there. The LCU unloaded, I ordered a shock attack: Japanese victory sound, planes at base are destroyed. The next turn shows Ndini as a "French beach" again. Save available.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 10
RE: Dot Bases - 6/7/2005 12:35:17 AM   
sanch

1. Clean install of 1.21. Applied 1.30, 1.40, 1.50, 1.51 patch.
2. Game settings - no auto upgrades, no auto replacements, no auto base improvements.
3. Start new scenario 15 as allies vs. AI.
4. Noticed that some dot-bases were trying to improve ports and/or airfields, particularly is So. Pacific, even tho I set the setting not to. No non-dot bases were trying to improve.

Something is goofy with the dot bases.

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 11
RE: Dot Bases - 6/7/2005 5:36:42 AM   
sanch

More Info on Expanding Dot-Bases ...

1. Fresh install, no mods of any kind.
2. In "Game Options", turn off "Set All Facilities to Expand at Start".
3. Start a new scenario 15 as Allies vs. AI.
4. Immediately look at the following dot-bases: Ndini, Rennell I, Thousand Ship Bay, Rekata Bay, Rossel I, Deboyne I (there's others, but that's enough to get the idea).
5. You will notice that in each of the above cases, if the dot-base has a non-zero possible port or airfield value, then the port and/or airfield is set to expand. Clearly, the "Set All Facilities to Expand at Start" is being ignored (or overwritten by something else).

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 12
RE: Dot Bases - 6/7/2005 8:29:54 AM   
witpqs

You folks might want to post this problem in the "v1.51 Beta - Bug Reports Thread" to make sure it gets picked up by the developers.

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 13
RE: Dot Bases - 6/7/2005 4:30:28 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

You folks might want to post this problem in the "v1.51 Beta - Bug Reports Thread" to make sure it gets picked up by the developers

Why? You think I don't read every single post?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: Dot Bases - 6/7/2005 7:24:13 PM   
Speedysteve

Isn't that your job?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: Dot Bases - 6/7/2005 7:28:31 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Isn't that your job?

Too many "Your cheque is in the mail" so no

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Dot Bases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI