Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Invisible enemies?...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Invisible enemies?... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invisible enemies?... - 6/14/2005 11:53:04 PM   
ADavidB

I just had two more inexplicable occurances in two different games. First off, in the "fresh" v1.50 game that I recently started I had yet another DD come home from an ASW mission with damage that came from "nowhere". The combat replay and the combat report didn't mention any action concerning that 6 DD ASW TF, but the "King" showed up in Pearl with "32 43 4" damage - just about what happened to the Farragut some game days before. Again I've asked my PBEM opponent to let me know if he saw anything - he didn't see anything when the Farragut was damaged.

Then in my game against PzB an LCU that I transported to PM a couple of game days ago suddenly decided that it doesn't want to move - when I select a target base I get a message, "cannot move from one enemy zone of control to another". Well, there are no enemy zones of control within a half dozen hexes of PM. There is also about 80K worth of supply in PM. And finally, every other unit in PM is more than willing to move to any other base, including enemy occupied bases.

Times like this I really wish that I could "fight" against my PBEM opponents and not fight against the program...

Dave Baranyi
Post #: 1
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/15/2005 1:11:14 AM   
mc3744

I've had the LCU movement problem several times already, after the 1.5
I keep trying clicking in different area of the destination hex, on the borders.
It always works, eventually.

It is quite odd however

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 2
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/15/2005 2:08:25 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

I keep trying clicking in different area of the destination hex, on the borders.

It is quite odd however

That's an odd experience - it's odd enough that I'll have to try it only because it doesn't make any sense at all (and thus may be useful...)

Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 3
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/15/2005 2:52:48 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

It is quite odd however

I was able to get that unit to accept a destination this time by "clicking" at an edge of the base "square" instead of the middle. It makes no sense, but maybe that is the answer...

Thanks -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to mc3744)
Post #: 4
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 12:14:22 AM   
ADavidB

Well, my PBEM opponent confirmed that he didn't see any report of the "King" getting hit either. So that is two DDs hit hard while on ASW duty and in both cases neither of us saw it or got a report of it.

As I mentioned to my PBEM partner, at this rate all he will have to do to defeat me is to sail his subs near Pearl...

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 5
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 1:03:35 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADavidB

Well, my PBEM opponent confirmed that he didn't see any report of the "King" getting hit either. So that is two DDs hit hard while on ASW duty and in both cases neither of us saw it or got a report of it.
Dave Baranyi

Just speculation - could the DD have been hit by an enemy scout plane (even sub launched)? Those incidents are not listed in the combat report. Second, is there any type of catastrophic breakdown in the game (like the accumulating wear and tear system damage)?

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 6
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 1:41:07 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Dave Baranyi

Just speculation - could the DD have been hit by an enemy scout plane (even sub launched)? Those incidents are not listed in the combat report. Second, is there any type of catastrophic breakdown in the game (like the accumulating wear and tear system damage)?

The damage in both cases is most in line with a torpedo hit, followed by a mine hit. Sure, it's possible that a Glen did that, but if it did then that Glen may well be the most dangerous unit on the map.

Other people have said that there are no "random" accidents programmed into the game, like running aground or having an ammunition explosion. So the most likely explanation is that the sub under attack did get off a torpedo in both cases, but for some reason the game didn't report that to either player.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 3:15:41 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Make sure you have your depth charge setting set to "underwater". Those things are really nasty if they go off on the fantail.

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 8
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 10:43:33 AM   
Lord_Calidor

quote:

As I mentioned to my PBEM partner, at this rate all he will have to do to defeat me is to sail his subs near Pearl...

Dave Baranyi

I think some of the devs mentioned that you won't see a report of a suicide tunafish attacks. They didn't have a fish graphic ready, and there are too many diversity to keep track of them all.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 9
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 1:26:22 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Clear cases of self-mutilation - should be court-martialed for cowardice in face of the enemy .

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 10
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/17/2005 4:30:59 PM   
Sonny

It appears that Roswell was not the first incident of a close encounter.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 11
RE: Invisible enemies?... - 6/18/2005 5:13:49 AM   
denisonh

Maybe the skipper was too worried about somebody stealing strawberries and they started doing cirles while towing a gunnery target?

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Invisible enemies?... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI