Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Land Unit Screenshots!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> New Land Unit Screenshots! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/16/2005 11:57:42 PM   
Tankerace

Well, I was wapping up all scenario work today on Plan Orange, and move into the realm of finishing documentation. But you know what? I decided I didn't like the arbitrary "75mm Field Gun" or "155mm Howitzer". So, for US and French units now (as they have multiple guns of the same caliber), have a look!

A US Field Artillery Battalion, armed with 155mm Guns M1918A1. These are US built versions of the French GPF gun.

A US Coast Artillery Regiment, also armed with the 155mm Gun M1918A1. However, this gun is designated as a CD gun, and is classed as a naval weapon. This way, the FA Bn's 155s can't fire at ships, whereas the Coast Arty's can.

A Coast Artillery Regiment, armed with the 240mm Howitzer M1918. This large howitzer was typically used as a Coast Gun, or to fire against hardned forts. A modernized version of this gun was used in World War II, but only for training purposes.

This is a US Field Artillery Regiment, armed with the 155mm Howitzer M1917. The 155mm Howitzers M1917 and M1918 (represented here by the 1917) were the only howitzers employed by the US Army until the adoption of the 75mm and 105mm Howitzers in 1939.

Here is the most common US Field Artillery Regiment, armed with the 75mm Gun M1897, the famous "French 75". This gun is found in most US FA Regiments, and in ever US Regiment, Brigade, and Division.

Here is a US Coast AA Regiment, armed with 3" Guns M1917, and watercooled .30 cal M1917 AA MGs. These are the principle US Army and Marine AA weapons, although the USMC does have some .303 Lewis guns.

The Corrigedor M Fort. Armed with the same naval caliber CD guns as in WitP, it also features the 155mm M1918A1, 240mm M1918, and 3" M1917.

A PA Division. It is equipped with the US 75mm Gun M1917. While one might think it is better than the M1897, the M1917 is actually a liscence built version of the "British 75", the 18 pounder howitzer. After World War I, the US built British 75s found employment in the Philippine Army, where some would eventually be used in 1941-42.

All US and PA units, and some British units, use the 4in Mortar Mark I. This is the famous Stokes Chemical Mortar of World War I. In 1928, they begin to be replaced by the rifled 4in Mortar M1. These two mortars were the forerunners of the "four-deuce" 4.2" Chemical Mortar of WW2.

A Philippine Scout unit. This unit is unique, in that it uses the 2.95in Vickers-Maxim Mountain Gun. In 1927 (the later scenarios), it is replaced by the 75mm Pack Howitzer M1. Also, in the later scenarios, some units arrive with the 75mm Pack Howitzer M1, in lieu of the 75mm Gun M1897.

A USMC Defence Bn. They are equipped with French 75s and US Light Tank M1917s.

A US Division in the reinforcement pool. US Divisions typically are armed with French 75s and US 155 Howitzers, although some may switch out the howitzers for 155mm Guns, and some still have platoons of Light Tank M1917s attached.

A French CD unit. It is armed with the 155mm Field Gun, better known as the GPF, and the French 75. There are 2 versions of the 75, the CD that can fire at ships, and the army gun, which cannot.

Well, I hope you guys enjoy, at least from my standpoint, Plan Orange is almost done! Now, after Mike gets finished, and the whole thing gets put together, we can all have some fun.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Post #: 1
RE: New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/17/2005 1:18:18 AM   
DrewMatrix

And there I was thinking a "French 75" was a drink made from Cognac and Champagne . . .

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 2
RE: New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/17/2005 3:23:15 AM   
Brady

All the French 75's I have had were made from Gin and Champagine.

Shot of Gin
Pinch of Powdered Shugar
Fill a Fluted Glass with Champagine.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 3
RE: New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/17/2005 10:43:26 AM   
Terminus

Looking good, Tanker...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 4
RE: New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/17/2005 6:22:26 PM   
Big B

I am enthusiastic about WPO, I am currently a WitP fan.
Anyway, How about some new graphics to go with WPO - such as American Inf wearing the M1917A1 'Tin Hats' instead of WWII M1 helmets, just little touches to get the mood right?

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 5
RE: New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 1:01:45 AM   
Tankerace

Well...... I suppose I can do that. Ill try and have new screenies later today.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 6
New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 3:53:41 AM   
Tankerace

As requested, US Unit portraits are replaced by period photos. I left All other nations the same, becase 1) I have no WWI era photos of Japanese troops, and 2) British and Australian troops for the most part looked identical.

So:

A US AA Battalion. The photo is of a US 3" AA Gun M1917 mounted on a truck, around 1919.

A US Army Infantry unit, the photo being troops in France around 1918.

A US Marine unit, the photo being of army troops 1918-19. The only difference in equipment wise between the two is Army troops were issued clothing that was Olive Drab, the Marines' being Forest Green. However, by 1918, shortages of supply meant both branches received OD uniforms, the distinguishing factor being the buttons (the USMC retained their distinctive buttons).

A US Engineer Regiment. This photo is of US Engineers on the march in France, 1917.

A US Field Artillery Unit. The Photo is the famous French 75, this one being an actual US example.

A US Tank Bn. The photo is a French Renault FT-17, which is identical to the US built M1917.

A Defense Bn. This photo is of a large 8" or 240mm Howitzer. Not sure which one, but is from a Coast Artillery Unit in 1918.

And the US Headquarters unit. A US Lt. Colonel, in typical late WW1 and mid 20's uniform.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 7
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 9:22:11 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

As requested, US Unit portraits are replaced by period photos. I left All other nations the same, becase 1) I have no WWI era photos of Japanese troops, and 2) British and Australian troops for the most part looked identical.

So:...

Very good, great improvemant!
What is really called for, however, are some stills from the 30's to 1941 showing US troops in tropical kahki and tin hats - not so much WWI uniforms, as they stopped wearing that uniform in the 20's. The 'look' would be rather like in the movies 'Bataan', 'Wake Island', and 'From Here To Eternity'. The proper photos are out there, and I'd be happy to look if you would like.

Anyway, kudos for the effort! Big improvement! And I am really looking forward to your work!

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 8
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 12:27:17 PM   
33Vyper

as per usual Tanker....excellent !

love the period pics !

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 9
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 12:35:12 PM   
Terminus

Everytime you think it can't get better, it does!

Now if you could just post a screenshot or two of ships and/or aircraft...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 6/18/2005 2:06:25 PM >

(in reply to 33Vyper)
Post #: 10
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 5:15:58 PM   
BaitBoy

Looking good !!!

"You go over there and attract their attention while I . . . "

Member Henchmen and Sidekicks Local 272

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 11
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 9:45:47 PM   
Tankerace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

quote:

So:...

Very good, great improvemant!
What is really called for, however, are some stills from the 30's to 1941 showing US troops in tropical kahki and tin hats - not so much WWI uniforms, as they stopped wearing that uniform in the 20's. The 'look' would be rather like in the movies 'Bataan', 'Wake Island', and 'From Here To Eternity'. The proper photos are out there, and I'd be happy to look if you would like.

Anyway, kudos for the effort! Big improvement! And I am really looking forward to your work!

True, but I wanted combat style shots, and from what I have read and obtained from the U.S. Army's Center of Military History, even in the '20s the standard issue of US army troops was still close to WWI era specs. The main diffrences were British built wweapons, the Pattern 14 Enfield (US M1917 rifle) and 18 pounder Howitzer (75mm Gun M1917) were relegated to equipe Filipino troops. What we consider the modernizing of the army, the introduction of the Thompson, new versions of 155mm Guns/Howitzers and 75mm Howitzers, "new" light tanks and combat cars, and even adoption of 105mm weapons were all products of the 1930's.

The army of the 1920's had very much returned to the state it had been before the outbreak of World War I, though with a plethora of arms and ammunition. Granted, I will admit that the HQ unit's pic should be a more modern officer, but I have to say, I like the pic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Now if you could just post a screenshot or two of ships and/or aircraft...

I'll see what I can do.

Just so you guys know, I sent all the art, scenarios, and documentation to Matrix last night. Now we just have to wait on Mike and we'll be ready to go.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 12
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 10:11:45 PM   
PJJ

Wow! It's the little details that really matter, and WPO seems to have details aplenty.

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 13
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 10:18:27 PM   
Terminus

quote:

Just so you guys know, I sent all the art, scenarios, and documentation to Matrix last night. Now we just have to wait on Mike and we'll be ready to go.

Sounds good, Tanker. It's going to be brilliant!

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 14
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/18/2005 11:37:54 PM   
Big B

quote:

True, but I wanted combat style shots, and from what I have read and obtained from the U.S. Army's Center of Military History, even in the '20s the standard issue of US army troops was still close to WWI era specs. The main diffrences were British built wweapons, the Pattern 14 Enfield (US M1917 rifle) and 18 pounder Howitzer (75mm Gun M1917) were relegated to equipe Filipino troops. What we consider the modernizing of the army, the introduction of the Thompson, new versions of 155mm Guns/Howitzers and 75mm Howitzers, "new" light tanks and combat cars, and even adoption of 105mm weapons were all products of the 1930's.

The army of the 1920's had very much returned to the state it had been before the outbreak of World War I, though with a plethora of arms and ammunition. Granted, I will admit that the HQ unit's pic should be a more modern officer, but I have to say, I like the pic.

I bow to your design genius!

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 15
RE: New New Land Unit Screenshots! - 6/20/2005 8:33:20 PM   
showboat1

It looks great man! I can't wait!

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> New Land Unit Screenshots! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI