Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/1/2005 6:22:22 PM   
crsutton

Paratroopers, raiders, SNLF and such. Will they perform well without a load of prep points or do they need to accumulate them?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/1/2005 6:27:33 PM   
Bradley7735

I'm sure they work exactly the same as other LCU's. They'll work without prep, but will work better with prep.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/1/2005 6:32:49 PM   
Nikademus

All LCU formations benefit from prep points.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 3
RE: Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/1/2005 6:37:26 PM   
Feinder

I was kinda curious about that too.

It's been my (limited) experience that you need prep points, esp when assaulting atolls (because you're immediately compelled to shock attack).

My "let's see what happens" attack with the entire 2nd USMC Raider Btn, didn't work so well. They enter the game prepped for PH, at 100. But I forgot to change ti, and I loaded 'em up on a bunch of subs (with supplies), and dropped 'em on Jaliut. Intel said only 1200 guys there, so would probably be just the original Base Force. The landing proved this to be true. However, even when the whole unit landed same turn (I used a lot subs), all of my assault squads were disabled. I attacked at 0 - 1 (40 Assault Strength, adjusted to 0!). His BF only had an ADJUSTED assault value of 4 (so they were sitting ducks). But 0 vs 4, still doesn't work.

(* shrug *)

Wasn't terminal. Just a bunch of disabled squad. I loaded 'em back on the boats, and they're on the way home.

Disappointed yes. But not suprised. I shouldda prepped. Of course, I might have gotten a bad roll on unloading or whatever. Who knows.

Now you probably -could- get away with not prepping some of the Japanese units in early 42, until the unloading bonus expires (end of March 42). In all of my PBEM games, I see small Japanese formations landing on the "annoying islands" (small islands that you want, that are undefended, but not worth a full-scale invasion). Since they -are- successful, and I'm sure they're -NOT- spending a bunch of time prepping for an undefended island, I can only assume that their combat effectiveness is retained, due to the unloading bonus thru end of March.

I expect tho, that you had better spend some time prepping if you're Japan, after March 42.

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 7/1/2005 6:39:14 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/1/2005 9:19:55 PM   
Sharkosaurus rex

If you loaded the subs on the west coast with the marine unit they might have taken so long to arrive at your DH that they started to deteriorate on their own as units do if they are onboard for too long. If they were loaded at Pearl Harbour you might have had less disabled squads on arrival.

Is Sharkosaurus rex the biggest fish in the sea?
Why don't you come in for a swim?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/1/2005 10:10:45 PM   
Feinder

Actually, they loaded at Palmyra. But yes, you are very correct, the longer the boat-ride, the unit will land already fatigued.

I've had LCUs ride all the way from PH to Brisbane. They land very fatigued. You DON'T want to land them directly on a malaria base when they're already very fatigued. Land 'em at a non-malaria base, let them recover, then send them the last leg to their destination.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Sharkosaurus rex)
Post #: 6
RE: Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? - 7/4/2005 9:48:51 PM   
crsutton

It just seems af if a small, raider or paratrooper units should face less of a penalty for lack of prep points. These smaller units should be attacking smaller targets and have the ability to plan and prepare faster due to the nature of the unit and the operations that they were trained to perform. Not a big deal, just a thought.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Do small elite units need to accumlate prep points? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI