Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MCDF crashes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> MCDF crashes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MCDF crashes - 9/7/2001 6:21:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Hi everyone,
I'm having many problems with mega campaign.I thing i got the yugo bug!!!Paul sent me the patch,i changed the mech.exe and the old yugo bug seems to desappear,but now the game just crashes and goes out in the menu during a normal play in the first mission.Paul also told me to delete the hte steel.prf file so that it recreates a new one but i'm not able to find it.I don't want to keep disturbing Paul again and again with my mails,so if there's someone that can help me......thanks a lot
Best regards
Hoepner(already Urquhart)

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]
Post #: 1
- 9/7/2001 9:09:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Are you trying to conttinue an old game or start a nw one? Try starting form the beginning with the new mech.exe - some people could carry on, others can't...typical weirdness...

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 2
- 9/7/2001 10:49:00 AM   
Supervisor

Paul's right about trying to continue old saves with new versions they usuually don't work very well. I myself ran into that same problem when beta testing the new ver 7 OOB's and mech.exe file and then I remembered rule #1 don't continue old saves with new versions, how could have I forgotten that, they post a big warning on it with every upgrade. The file (steel.prf) you are looking for is in the /SPWAW/save folder, windows calls it a PICSrules file. I hope this helps, just curious did Paul also send you the beta ver 7 OOB's that went with the new mech.exe file if not that could also be a problem, I can send them if you want them.

Post #: 3
- 9/7/2001 3:16:00 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Unfortunately,guys,i'm try to start a new game.To say the truth i managed to passed to the 2nd scenario once,but the other times i tried it crashed at turn 2 or 4 in the first scen.Gmenfan robably i'm stupid,but in my save folder there are 3 types of files(.dat,.cmt,.rec)but nothing like .prf(why tech is so problematic???!!!!!).
For the Oob's i'll check it out.
Regards

Post #: 4
- 9/8/2001 2:13:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The game should create the steel.prf file when you start the game, try accessing the pref screen and changing something, then seeing if the file appears. Ahhh, folks forget the "old days" of having to know teh intricate details of teh memory subsystems and how to tweak your system configuration to squeeze every last bit of DOS LOW memory out of their system. Windows has brought a host of issues of its own, (I wish I had a nickel for every time Excel has suddenly shut down on me - if MS can't even get it right... ) We are working on it, but some people will always have crash troubles...its just teh nature of the diversity of PC hardware and software...

Post #: 5
- 9/8/2001 6:23:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Paul,i finally found the file(the key icon right??).I deleted it but the game still creshes.I'll try to do something else but i've almost lost my faith.Thanks so much for all the precious suggestions.I gotta say that i'm sorry,but i think i'll wait a bit before buying the new MC.Sorry,i really wanted to support u guys....
Regards

Post #: 6
- 9/8/2001 6:50:00 AM   
Supervisor

Just in case double check your version when you start the game, it should say ver 7.b6 at the bottom of the screen, it's happened before that updating the game didn't always update it fully. Did you recieve the updated OOB's from Paul also. Some gamers have had success in uninstalling the game, manually deleting the SPWAW folder and then reinstalling. I think sometimes Windows is not regestering all the key information correctly to the Registry, causing unexplained crashing.

Post #: 7
- 9/8/2001 7:19:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

My version still says 6.01!!!so your suggestion is to uninstall the game,then remove the old mech.exe and put the new one right?i'll try that
thanks

Post #: 8
- 9/8/2001 10:43:00 AM   
Supervisor

If your game still says 6.01 than thats where your problem lies. Delete the mech.exe file from within the SPWAW folder and replace it with the new one Paul sent you also after you do that delete the steel.prf file again and restart the game starting MC over from scratch and your problems should stop. Because your game was still using the old mech.exe file you don't have to uninstall the whole game at this to time make it playable. [ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Post #: 9
- 9/8/2001 7:58:00 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Hi gmenfan,i tried to do what u told me ,but the version still says 6.01.I do not understand what's wrong with me!!!!I saw that there are 2 mech.exe files:une in the general folder and one in the mega campaign one.Which one i have to replace?I tried both but nothing happened.Let me tell how i do that:i delete the old one,then in the hole that remains i put the new one from the unzipped file folder.Is that right?
Thanks

Post #: 10
- 9/9/2001 5:42:00 AM   
Supervisor

If your still getting version 6.01 you need to delete the one in the main SPWAW folder and move the one in your Mega folder into the main SPWAW folder. There is only one mech.exe and it needs to reside within the main SPWAW folder. Just because the game engine gets updated to fix Megacampaign issues doesn't really mean that your fixing the MegaCampaign your actually fixing the main game engine that controls the way MegaCampaign is played. I hope this helps. [ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Post #: 11
- 9/9/2001 7:57:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The mech.exe goes in the main SP:WaW folder, not in the mega-campaign folder.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> MCDF crashes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI