Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One wish...but a small one

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> One wish...but a small one Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One wish...but a small one - 5/5/2006 9:04:52 AM   
tbear2b

I think PureSim is the greatest baseball sim on the market. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of OOTP, which is the main reason I enjoy it more. I don't have to sift through page after page of text and stats just to play baseball.

After having both of these games last year and playing both a bunch, I came to realize there weren't really a lot of things that OOTP had differently than PureSim that I wished were actually in PureSim.

Then, one of them came to mind. The flexibility of creating your league in OOTP is unrivaled and at least for me remains the greatest hole in PureSim. I know others will complain about the career arcs of players or the fact that until this year there weren't minor leagues, but what bothers me the most is just the simple fact that league creation is not more flexible.

Having said that, it isn't as though PureSim's league creation is horrible. In fact, Shaun has made some incredible strides in this area over the past couple of iterations. I would like to see, perhaps in the future editions, or maybe as part of an update to 2006, a few more things to make league creation flexible.

Here are a few ideas of what I am referring to:

-The ability to choose from A TON of different league setups
-Being able to control expansion even more AND have contraction as a possible option
-Maybe have a random generator that is by geographical region. This I imagine would be fairly simple to implement. I doubt more than a few people beside myself would clamor for this, however.
-Easier time setting up leagues, in terms of naming things. I find that the interface is not as intuitive or user-friendly as it could be.

I don't mean to demean this game by any stretch, because this is the only one I am buying this year. I love the new additions and understand that many of the changes that were made to the game helped to advance the PURESIM aspect of it. This is the best simulator on the market and it should stay that way. I just wish for a little more creative control over the league setup.

FYI, I almost always play with fictional players in a fictional league, and I understand that this does make me different from many of the rest of you who like to play historical or current leagues with real players.

< Message edited by tbear2b -- 5/5/2006 9:06:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: One wish...but a small one - 5/5/2006 11:25:14 AM   
Amaroq

Great feedback, bear, well written.

It is one thing that OOTP has better - basically, the ability to create any random association config you feel like.

I mean, say I wanted to set up a 7-team league, for some perverse reason. If I'm willing to hack some text files, and put together a schedule for it, there's no strong reason why that shouldn't be possible. Maybe I want to do the three-league AL/NL/FL setup, with the AL and NL teams facing each other best-of-seven, and no playoffs for the FL winner. Not really possible in the current PS setup.

We've also been kicking around 'ideal expansion' - what people really want to see - both on this forum and in the beta forum, so I think Shaun's got a very good idea what people are most interested in; its just that its the size of a real feature, now, not something he can just 'slip in' for very little effort.

So, I hope both of those are 'on the list'; not sure what the timing would look like.

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 2
RE: One wish...but a small one - 5/5/2006 6:09:56 PM   
puresimmer

tbear2b,

Great feedback. I agree that the game needs to be continually improved in the area of customization. We are having some related conversations on this around expansion etc.

quote:

don't mean to demean this game by any stretch, because this is the only one I am buying this year. I love the new additions and understand that many of the changes that were made to the game helped to advance the PURESIM aspect of it. This is the best simulator on the market and it should stay that way. I just wish for a little more creative control over the league setup.

FYI, I almost always play with fictional players in a fictional league, and I understand that this does make me different from many of the rest of you who like to play historical or
current leagues with real players.

Actually the game was originally designed mostly for people like you, and I am currently doing a bunch of work balancing stats and other things for fictional PureSimmers so I will continue to focus here.

As for time frames you will not see league customization in the initial release of PureSim 2006, but it is on the roadmap.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, it really helps me as I chart the course of the game.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 3
RE: One wish...but a small one - 5/5/2006 9:34:37 PM   
33sherman

I would just like to be able to conrol which leauge expansion teams go into. That's my main problem right now--when playing a long historical career it's impossible to keep historical teams in the league in which they played historically.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 4
RE: One wish...but a small one - 5/5/2006 10:16:14 PM   
tbear2b

On top of that, it also helps in fictional leagues, if you are basing the league on geography to be able to place the teams in the right division so that Miami isn't playing against the Pacifict Coast or something like that.

Thanks for the response Shaun! I know how hard you are working on the game and I am just itching for the new release!!!

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> One wish...but a small one Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI