Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Player Import Year

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Player Import Year Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Player Import Year - 10/16/2005 1:19:35 AM   
BryanK

When playing with real players, does anyone else think it would be neat if players imported 2-3 years before their MLB debut so that they could develop in the minors and not have their career effectively shortened?

Post #: 1
RE: Player Import Year - 10/17/2005 4:44:18 PM   
motnahp

One way to implement this would be to "edit player" just after they are imported, lowering their age and raising their potential. Personally, though, I just import them during their first year of 100 AB or 50 IP. This works well, except in cases where power hitters (Foster, Kingman) aren't real powerful their first few years or starting pitchers are middle-men initially, and later develop into top starters (Billingham, Sid Fernandez). From my experience, it all balances out pretty good. It seems as if more players are productive into their late 30's/early 40's. Either way, the game is fun and customize-able...and that's all I can ask for!

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 2
RE: Player Import Year - 10/18/2005 11:43:36 PM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: BryanK

When playing with real players, does anyone else think it would be neat if players imported 2-3 years before their MLB debut so that they could develop in the minors and not have their career effectively shortened?

In the OOTP world there is a "Modified Lahman" Database just for that purpose. I think it was call "Anakit" or something close to that. Instead of importing Willie Mays as a 19 year-old in 1951 you would import him as a 17 year-old in '49. That database should work with PS too.

However, it is best to forget about "real players" and go with "fantasy players" (IMO). I fought it and fought it, myself -- I always preferred real players. But, I finally gave fantasy players a "month's try" and I'd now never go back to real guys. It grows on you! And it dang fun not to have "any idea at all" on how a player is going to develop. You just have to give it a try.

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 3
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 2:16:38 AM   
Amaroq

Neat, I'll have to find that - looks like its "Ankit's database" or some such, but I haven't found a download link - if anybody has it handy, please post.

In answer to BryanK's question, yes that's exactly how I would like it to work, probably something like

debut at age 0-18: one year earlier
debut at age 19-20: two years earlier
debut at age 21-: three years earlier

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 4
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 2:25:51 AM   
BryanK

With respect to the databases... yup there's the Anakit mod of Lahman 5.2 and then there's Gambo's tweak of Anakit's mod. I tried to get these to work in Puresim, but didn't really have much success; OOTP uses the database in .CSV format while Puresim uses the Access file format. I tried to build a database from the CSV file, but Puresim didn't seem to like it.
Moreover, there are other modifications to the stats in those databases that may make them unfriendly to Puresim and its import algorithims.

In any event, there's another thread on the forum about the alternative databases. I think Shaun chimed in and said he'd take a look at it. The thought about just offestting import ages was intended to be a "quick and dirty" solution... good to see at least one other person agrees ;)

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 5
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 2:59:46 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP

However, it is best to forget about "real players" and go with "fantasy players" (IMO). I fought it and fought it, myself -- I always preferred real players. But, I finally gave fantasy players a "month's try" and I'd now never go back to real guys. It grows on you! And it dang fun not to have "any idea at all" on how a player is going to develop. You just have to give it a try.

I gave the "fantasy players" league a whirl, and it just doesn't "feel right" to me. Why go through all the trouble of importing real ballparks, real photos and team logos when your league is populated by a few Roy Hobbses and Joe Hardys and a bunch of Walter Mittys LOL?

Nah, I still prefer real players -- while the draft-league concept is in itself a nod to "fantasy leagues", you still maintain at least a semblance of history.

As for the alternate databases, I'd be very keen on this notion. For those of us who might want to become Branch Rickey, the idea of signing Jackie Robinson as a 25-year-old for some minor-league seasoning is a great idea.

However, what's not to say that there could be a little Bill Veeck in all of us, too -- can you imagine what this guy could dream up if he were alive today? "So, this actor Kevin Costner is a baseball junkie, huh? Let's let him pitch an inning! We'll put up a screenshot from that Field of Dreams thing on the scoreboard --'see if you can hit my curveball' ".

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 6
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 3:01:50 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

Neat, I'll have to find that - looks like its "Ankit's database" or some such, but I haven't found a download link - if anybody has it handy, please post.

http://www.baseballmaelstrom.com/ankit/

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 7
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 3:03:19 AM   
Steely Glint

Hey, Beach Boy, is your website back up yet?

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 8
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 3:22:43 AM   
BryanK

I'm totally about the fictional players... fought it for a while, but it grew on me. That said, until 2006 rolls around, the distribution of talent among fictional players bugs me a little. Hence, I've turned my attention for the time being to the real players.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 9
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 9:24:11 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I gave the "fantasy players" league a whirl, and it just doesn't "feel right" to me. Why go through all the trouble of importing real ballparks, real photos and team logos when your league is populated by a few Roy Hobbses and Joe Hardys and a bunch of Walter Mittys LOL?

Nah, I still prefer real players -- while the draft-league concept is in itself a nod to "fantasy leagues", you still maintain at least a semblance of history.

Yah. Oh, yah. I've got a 24-team, two-league with two divisions each fantasy players thingie I just started, and it's just not the same when Fred Smork with a face out of post office "Wanted" posters comes up to the plate at Fenway with the bases loaded, two out in the ninth, the Boston Lobsters trailing by two. I want to see The Splendid Splinter take his cuts for the BoSox (before he dies and becomes cold cuts). How can you enjoy thinking that "flew out to very deep center field" means Walter Chin caught the ball over his shoulder with his back to home plate while running at full speed when it could instead have been the Say Hey Kid?

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Player Import Year - 10/19/2005 9:10:34 PM   
Amaroq

Thank you, Steely!

I've played with and enjoyed both historical players and fictional players: both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Looking at some historical players, though, it would be very hard to 'correctly' gauge the amount to offset by. There's a pretty wide variation from individual to individual.

Harmon Killebrew made his big-league debut 6 days after signing a contract, Cal Abrams made his big-league debut 7 years after signing a contract, Mantle was signed in '49 but debuted at age 20 in '51, Maris was signed in '53 but debuted at age 22 in '57, Berra debuted at 21 in '46 after being signed in '43... and then you have the Dave Winfields: drafted in 1969 by the Orioles but did not sign, drafted in 1973 by the Padres, and debuted 14 days later.

Then I got distracted when I unearthed this trade - what a blockbuster this one was: December 8, 1899: Trade by the Louisville Colonels of Fred Clarke, Bert Cunningham, Mike Kelley, Tacks Latimer, Tommy Leach, Tom Messitt, Deacon Phillippe, Claude Ritchey, Rube Waddell, Jack Wadsworth, Honus Wagner, and Chief Zimmer to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Jack Chesbro, Paddy Fox, John O'Brien, Art Madison, and $25000 cash.

Chesbro, Clarke, Waddell, and Wagner are Hall of Famers, Leach played regularly through 1915, and Phillipe amassed a 189-109 record with a 2.59 ERA, playing through 1911. But it all came to nothing, as Louisville folded... and Chesbro, Fox, O'Brien, and Madison were all assigned back to Pittsburgh in March of 1900. With this amalgamation of talent, the Pirates came second in 1900, and went on to claim the N.L. title in 1901, 1902, and 1903...

I love that site!

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Player Import Year Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI