Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems at the Depot?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Problems at the Depot? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 3:22:16 PM   
IBTyrone

Hey all.

I've been having problems getting into the SPWAW Depot since 5 this morning. I keep getting:

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.spwaw.com"

I got in for about two minutes a few minutes ago and then it started giving me the error again.

I can't connect to the home page or the forums.

Is it me or is something up? I didn't see any complaints at the Depot or over here at MGF so it might be my connection.

Thanks for the help.
Post #: 1
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 4:02:25 PM   
FlashfyreSP

Woking now, 0900 hours. Probably a hiccup in the server system.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 5:45:36 PM   
Puukkoo

It is working now, but I also got similar error messages when I tried to enter there earlier.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 6:52:37 PM   
IBTyrone

Yeah, I'm able to get back in now. Thanks for the confirmation it is working.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 8:37:02 PM   
Swamprat

I haven't been able to get into the Depot for two days now.
Dunno why.

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 8:41:30 PM   
IBTyrone

Hey Swamprat.

What error are you getting or is it just timing out?

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 6
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 8:47:23 PM   
Swamprat

I get 'The web page cannot be displayed', plus -
"The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

Checked all my settings, but no dice.

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 7
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 8:48:23 PM   
Swamprat

Not sure what 'timing out is'.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 8
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 8:56:12 PM   
IBTyrone

Sorry, the errors you were getting were essentially what I meant by "timing out." It happens when your browser takes a year to return a page and returns nothing instead.

Here's a few things to try if you haven't already:

1) Have you rebooted your machine in the last few days? If not, then do this first.
2) Have you tried another web browser? If you are using IE, then try Firefox and vice versa.
3) What has changed in the last two days to your system? Did you download any updates or install a firewall?
4) Is it just the Depot you are having problems with or all web pages? I assume not all pages since you are posting here.
5) Can you get to the Depot main page? (http://www.spwaw.com) I've found sometimes I can reach this page and not the forums.
6) Did your ISP (Internet Service Provider) make any upstream changes in the last few days (new firewall or the like?)

Try some of those things and let me know what's up. Hope you get it going.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 9
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 9:12:27 PM   
Swamprat

Y'know, I have no idea what any of this means. I'm not all that computer proficient I'm afraid. I can just about switch it on and operate it.

1. Not sure what you mean by rebooting. Sounds like something that was done in the old days of DOS. Now those were the days when I was really confused.

2. IE is installed on my machine. Didn't know there were others.

3. In last two days I downloaded updates for my AVG anti-virus program.

4. Had a problem getting into another site yesterday, but now it's just the depot I can't get into.

5. Tried main page, forum page and members list page. All timed out.

6. My brain fell out when I read this. I guess that means I don't know. sorry.

Will use XP's 'go back in time' feature to a previous setting and see if it works.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 10
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 9:34:15 PM   
Swamprat

Nope. Tried system restore and still no Depot.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 11
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 9:46:00 PM   
Puukkoo

That's terrible!

I'd advice you not to use the Internet explorer in the future. It happens to be notorious browser and it can induce these system malfunctions. I have been using Mozilla Firefox for a while.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 12
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 9:48:00 PM   
Swamprat

Well, I learned something new. Did a search for Firefox, downloaded it, now have two web browsers, which I didn't realise was possible.

But I still can't get into the Depot.

Maybe it's a transatlantic thing...

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 13
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 10:10:18 PM   
IBTyrone

Hey Swamprat.

By reboot, I mean turn it off and turn it back on. Do you leave your computer and internet connection (cable or DSL) on all the time? You might want to try turning everything off, waiting 30 seconds, and then turning it all back on again. Sometimes it can reset something that is causing your connection to burp.

However, it sounds like since it doesn't work in IE or Firefox and you can still get to other sites, that it is probably an issue with your connection--probably firewall related, which is blocking your specific connection to the Depot. AVG may have something to do with it, but my impression of AVG is that it is strictly a virus detection program with no firewall capabilities, but since I do not use it regularly, I'm no expert. You might want to check if AVG does have some sort of firewall capability that was enabled with your last upgrade.

I did note you are using XP. If you are running Service Pack 2 or later you have an option to enable your firewall. Do you have the firewall enabled? Sometimes the firewall that comes with XP can cause problems. You can check to see if it is turned on by going under your start menu, go to Control Panel, then Security Center and then Windows Firewall. If it is turned on, you might want to turn it off and then try going to the Depot and see if it works. If it works, then probably will need to tweak your settings. If it doesn't, we're back a square one.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 14
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 10:19:24 PM   
Swamprat

Hi. I've got a Zone Labs Firewall. Not a problem normally. But even with that off and the anti-virus off, the Depot remains unobtainable.

The Hogg comes back from France soon. If he can log on and I still can't, then I guess it might not be a UK based thing.

Rebooting - Yeah, the computer is regularly switched off. I don't like leaving stuff on. Costs me money.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 15
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 10:30:10 PM   
IBTyrone

Hey Swamprat.

I doubt it is a UK-based thing. Do you and Hogg have the same ISP? If not, he may still be able to connect and you can't.

Have you tried calling technical support of your ISP and let them know that you can't get to one particular site yet you can get to others and that you haven't made any changes in your firewall in the last few days? Maybe they could check it on their end for you.

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve, but it involves getting to the DOS prompt and attempting to ping the Depot server. Try your ISP folks first. If they aren't helpful, let me know. I will also PM Bernie for you over at the Depot. He may have some ideas which I'm missing.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 16
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/27/2005 10:55:21 PM   
Swamprat

Thanks Tyrone. I'll see what I can do.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 17
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/28/2005 10:12:03 PM   
Swamprat

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in.

Should have just been patient really.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 18
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/28/2005 10:23:41 PM   
IBTyrone

Thanks for the heads up, Swamprat.

I wonder if it was a cache issue and that it cleared itself out automatically after a certain amount of time. Doesn't matter now. I'm glad it's working!

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 19
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 1:06:19 AM   
rich12545

I'm having a problem too. I tried to log in to do a download and it said I am banned.

Banned again.

The first time I deserved it. The second time (for one day) I might have deserved it.

This time? So what did I do?

I was polite. I didn't insult anybody. I discussed in a friendly manner. So, what?

I wrote my political opinions from a conservative point of view. Yep, that's it.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 20
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 3:53:48 AM   
Goblin

Since this is the Matrix forums, the proper place to address the subject would be via email with a Depot Admin. The appropraite Admin in this instance would be Tracer jimnsb@cfl.rr.com

Goblin

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 21
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 4:17:42 AM   
rich12545

This entire thread here at Matrix is about the Depot. I was simply adding my two cents.

I have no desire to discuss anything with tracer. In fact I don't care about you folks lifting the depot ban. If you want to ban someone for posting his political views you have every right to do so since it's your forum.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 22
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 4:34:41 AM   
Goblin

The thread seems to be about technical issues connecting with the Depot. Vic Kevlar has made it clear that the type of issue you bring up is best discussed via PM, email, or at another forum. I agree with him, and pointed out a way of communication in line with this forum's rules.

Goblin

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 23
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 4:45:08 AM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

The thread seems to be about technical issues connecting with the Depot.

Goblin

And I had a technical issue, although somewhat different, connecting with the depot that I posted.

Anytime you want to discuss this privately with me and therefore end the discussion here, you have my email address at the depot. There is no need for you to continue posting this way.

In the meantime, my post was sort of on topic. I have no desire to continue that discussion on this forum. So kindly get off my back. And I say that in a nice, courteous manner.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 24
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 1:21:33 PM   
Goblin

I did not intend to 'get on your back', I intended to assist in communication in the proper manner. I will drop the issue then.

Goblin

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 25
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 7:16:39 PM   
rich12545

Goblin, you make no sense at all.

If I was interested in communicating, I would have done so. I'm capable of sending an email without your assistance. I was simply posting a problem I had connecting to the Depot in a somewhat anecdotal manner. And you jumped in for no reason.

Your response was obviously an attempt to hassle me and nothing more since you KNOW that I could have emailed you or tracer if I wanted to communicate. This is a continuation of the harassment by you and especially tracer during my last thread. It was so bad I finally stated that I would post no more at the depot and I meant it.

If you want to respond to this post, you have my email address at the depot and it would be better to continue this privately.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 26
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 8:06:19 PM   
Goblin

quote:

If I was interested in communicating, I would have done so.

You did, in a public forum, where I am entitled to respond, no?

quote:

I was simply posting a problem I had connecting to the Depot in a somewhat anecdotal manner. And you jumped in for no reason.

As a Depot staff member, someone posting on a problem is reason for me to attempt to help. Since the matter was private rather than public, I thought it would be helpful to post the appropriate email address for you. If you wish to conclude that this is 'harassment', then that is your business.

quote:

It was so bad I finally stated that I would post no more at the depot and I meant it.

Then why the post here? If you were done, then there is no need for posting about it.

I will say that disagreeing with you on an issue is not harassment, something you seem to miss. Again, feel free to email Tracer or myself ( goblin@spwaw.com ) with any problems, or any other Depot Admin or Senior Mod for that matter. We are happy to help out.

Goblin

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 27
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 8:22:46 PM   
Swamprat

Is this one over, or should I get the popcorn?

Threadjacking should be crime you know.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 28
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 9:12:20 PM   
Goblin

rich believes it to be on-topic, ergo - no threadjacking.

Goblin

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 29
RE: Problems at the Depot? - 10/29/2005 9:34:06 PM   
Swamprat

I'll order two bags of popcorn then. What flavour do you like goblin?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Problems at the Depot? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI