Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWAW and Linux

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW and Linux Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWAW and Linux - 12/5/2005 6:39:45 PM   
Destroyer

I think I once read that SPWAW works on Linux. I have a machine running Linspire, so how would I go about installing it? Any help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: SPWAW and Linux - 12/5/2005 8:59:33 PM   
plloyd

Get WINE from http://www.winehq.org/. That should be all you need.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to Destroyer)
Post #: 2
RE: SPWAW and Linux - 12/6/2005 3:33:16 AM   
FlashfyreSP

Yes, folks...you CAN run the game under Linux. It's easy to do, and doesn't hurt a bit!

Steps to complete to get SPWaW up and running on your Linux box:

1. Install Linux. This is the no-brainer step. I am using the SuSe 9.1 build version., but any of the others (Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, etc.) should be fine. Once you have an operational system, with Internet access, procede to Step 2.
2. Go to this link and download the latest release of WINE: http://www.winehq.com/ Install it; you now have a 'fake windows' folder. Go to Step 3.
3. Go to the Transgaming website here http://www.transgaming.com/ and download Cedega. You will have to subscribe to the Transgaming network in order to do this. Once Cedega is installed, go to Step 4.
4. Download or copy the SPWaW 8.2 Setup executable file to your home directory. Using the command "wine setup.exe", run the setup program. When the Installer program prompts for the install directory, browse and change it to the TransGaming_Drive folder. The path should then be something like file:/home/FlashfyreSP/TransGaming_Drive/Matrix Games/Steel Panthers World At War. Finish installing the game. Go to Step 5.
5. The Installer will not unZip the various ZipFiles included; you will have to manually navigate to the folders and un-archive them using Ark. These folders are: Campaigns, Enc, lbm, Maps, PIC, SCEN, SHP, and SND. On to Step 6.
6. Navigate to the Steel Panthers folder and locate the Mech.exe file; with the right mouse button, open the dialog box and click on the Open With.. and choose the Other selection. In the space, type cedega. Check the box for Remember application association for this type of file, and click OK.

If everything is ok, you should see the Steel Panthers Main Menu.

Addendum: If you have trouble with the Open With... command, do this:

Open your Home window and navigate to the TransGaming_Drive/Matrix Games/Steel Panthers World At War folder. Now, open a terminal box below the window (use the button for Terminal Emulator, which can be added to the toolbar). Type "cedega mech.exe" and hit the Enter key. This should start the game every time.

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW and Linux Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI