Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Opponents Wanted >> v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/6/2005 12:59:02 AM   
Kevan

Okay, in anticipation of the upcoming v1.2 patch, I've decided to take one more stab at starting up a PBEM game. I want to thank everyone who participated in the now aborted v1.2.14, but I think the general concensus was that everyone wants to upgrade with the new patch.

This time I'm proposing to do it with a bit of a twist though. Or two twist actually:

1. 8 players. That's right, 8 live, flesh and blood human beings. No computer controlled canon fodder.

2. Time zone determined turn order.

So, to explain, I would really like to get a full game. To compensate for the increased potential for things to lag as the turn gets sent from player to player, I propose we randomly select someone willing to play France and take on the responsibility of setting up the game. Then, moving westward from that person's time zone, the next person gets GB, then Sweden, then Prussia, and so on. It's my hope that this will increase the likelihood of multiple players completing their turns in one evening.

Now of course there is one negative. You don't get to pick your nation. Doesn't bother me, but I understand it might turn other people off.

So I'll give this until v1.2 gets released and see how we're doing for sign-ups. If everyone thinks this idea is nuts, we can just start up a regular PBEM where everyone picks their favourite nations.

Post #: 1
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/6/2005 1:09:35 AM   
Azog

Count me in. I am in Tokyo. So I think I take France. How about 1796, difficulty General? We could also make some improvements like giving Turkey a bit more power or so. I was playing a game with the Turks and it is terrible.
The next player to the west would be Naomi, in Osaka.

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 2
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/6/2005 1:37:52 AM   
jimwinsor

Count me in...I'm guessing 1.2 will come out before we get too far, but nevetheless playing actual people now beats just waiting around IMO.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to Azog)
Post #: 3
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/6/2005 1:41:43 AM   
Kevan

1796 would be fine - I prefer either that or 1792. I'm not sure that the difficulty is that important if it's 8 humans, since we would all be equally disadvantaged.

My intent is to wait for v1.2, and not to start with 1.2.16

< Message edited by kevan -- 12/6/2005 1:43:45 AM >

(in reply to Azog)
Post #: 4
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/6/2005 8:07:42 AM   
TexHorns

I'm in. I am in Houston.

We're gonna dance with who brung us.

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 5
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/6/2005 10:10:11 AM   
Krec

Would like to join SF bay area

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 6
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 12:59:11 AM   
garoco

I sign in this proposal

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 7
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 6:00:14 AM   
Azog

If garocco plays I dont.
Kidding, just kidding

(in reply to garoco)
Post #: 8
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 1:50:17 PM   
BossGnome

im in. Like Azog, I'm in tokyo too... but actually I am westwards of tokyo (Saitama) so I guess I play france! Mwahaha!!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne

(in reply to Azog)
Post #: 9
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 4:21:42 PM   
TexHorns

Actually, Japan is Far East not West, right? So Krec in SF would be France........

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 10
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 4:23:11 PM   
TexHorns

Now that I think about it.....TEXAS is the center of the universe so I should get to be France!

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 11
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 5:22:20 PM   
Kevan

Okay, I'm not going to wade in on the France debate, other than to say that I have no personal preference - I'm leaning toward randomly assigning it to someone, who will have the right of refusal.

What I will note is that we're up to 7 players, and if I've got my info correct, the current order moving west from the international date line is:

Azog / BossGnome
Garoco
TexHorns / me
jimwinsor / Krec

Even with the duplicate timezones, I see no reason we shouldn't ge through at least 2 turns/week. Now we just need that one last player. Preferably somewhere in Europe / Africa...

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 12
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 6:40:23 PM   
garoco

drop a line to mogami

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 13
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 6:59:26 PM   
ian77

Still need another player? I am GMT.

Ian

(in reply to garoco)
Post #: 14
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 8:46:23 PM   
Kevan

Woo-hoo! 8 Players!

All we need now is an official 1.2 to replace 1.2.16. But until then, I guess that leaves everyone some time for pre-game diplomacy. I did the random thing, and came up with Krec as France, so nations and turn order are as follows:

1. France - Krec
2. Great Britain - Azog
3. Sweden - BossGnome
4. Prussia - Ian77
5. Austria - garoco
6. Turkey - TexHorns
7. Russia - Kevan
8. Spain - jimwinsor

Any complaints regarding nation assignment can be sent to anyone but me

The only specific request I've seen is for 1796, so I propose this as the scenario. I'm not sure that difficulty is much of an issue with an all-human game. I suppose a higher difficulty will create enough management issues to make up for the lack of detailed battle.

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 15
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/8/2005 9:03:09 PM   
garoco

level difficulty must be normal because napoleon and wellington are very unplayable

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 16
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 1:08:49 AM   
ian77

quote:

Any complaints regarding nation assignment can be sent to anyone but me

ROFL

Ian

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 17
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 1:16:40 AM   
Azog

Hey!! I am in Tokorozawa, I said Tokyo because nobody knows Saitama.

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 18
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 1:20:55 AM   
Azog

Britain!
Thats very Okay!
Poor Texhorns... the turks, I am playing a local game with the turks and it is just crying all the time.
Tex, if you are a good boy you may get nice british money...
I see, I am not good at diplomacy...

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 19
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 3:36:49 AM   
TexHorns

Okay I'll play Turkey this time. I was France for all of two or three turns last time. Next game we start somewhere besides Japan. Is that the far east or the far west?

(in reply to Azog)
Post #: 20
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 11:42:38 AM   
BossGnome

well if you look on a japanese map the japanese islands are at the center... so japan is dead center, and america is the far east...

goddamit i have the fraggin swedes!! Someone feel like trading?? I don't know about the 1796 scenario... for a full 8 player game i like the balanced scenario a lot... (also sweden and prussia are rather disadvantaged in this scenario-says so in the manual!)

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 21
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 1:37:10 PM   
ian77

I will swap you Prussia if you want

Ian

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 22
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 2:20:51 PM   
TexHorns

Boss, please read above. Everybody knows that TEXAS is the center of the universe.

Actually except for France and Great Britain, everyone is at a disadvantage. But that is the beauty of playing against others is using your superior diplomatic skills to better the historical reality for your country. I'm playing Turkey and will be desperately trying to be more than an army of peasants on horses.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 23
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 2:35:34 PM   
BossGnome

I wouldn't mind having peasants on horses... you know how much labour my land produces a month???? I'll take austria or something if someone wants to switch. Hell I'd even take bloody russia! Even turkey. Basically any country exept prussia and austria I would swap for sweden! Any takers?

Ps: I am not japanese, I just LIVE in japan, so I still have the traditional "atlantic as the center of the world" type view. But the japanese seem to put their islands in the dead center of the maps...

when is this new patch coming out btw

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 24
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 4:06:04 PM   
TexHorns

Yea Boss I figured you were not Japanese.

In games vs the AI the Swedes they always get lots of protecorates and have huge armies. I think trading countries defeats the purpose of setting up turns going west to east. IF we are not going to stick to the turn order based on where people live then let's have a random draw of countries by Kevan. As stated previously I'll play Turkey this time in hopes of getting better draw next time.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 25
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 4:12:24 PM   
BossGnome

lol oops it says from canada right there...... hmmm alright alright ill play sweden...

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 26
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/9/2005 5:57:08 PM   
Kevan

I randomly assigned people in the same time zone, with the exception of putting myself after TexHorns because I usually work long days and end up playing later in the evening (and yes, I did this before knowing that TexHorns would get Turkey). I suppose if you could convince Azog to switch, that would be fine BossGnome. Good luck with getting him to give up GB though....

I'm usually a big fan of the 1792 scenario, but on the positive side, this may promote a slightly greater level of historic realism.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 27
RE: v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup - 12/12/2005 10:18:00 PM   
garoco

Who´s on the first?

(in reply to Kevan)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Opponents Wanted >> v1.2 PBEM opponents wanted - Testing new game setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI