Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The best Wargame simulation you ever played.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The best Wargame simulation you ever played. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 8:55:37 PM   
SargeantTex

I've seen lots of threads about bad games so I will start one about good games here are some of the favorites I have played.

1.Aces in the Pacific\Dynamix - one of the all time greats.

2.Aces of the deep\Dynamix - again one of the greats.

3.Complete carriers at war\SSG - a very good game.

4.1942 war in the south pacific\Microprose - not 100% sure if the title is correct but was a very good game focused on the war in the solomons had very good 3D graphics of ships at time came out in early to mid nineties. still wish I had this one and a machine to run it on. I really wish some one would update these games where modern machines would run them. would love to be able to play them again. One I left out Aces over Europe was a outstanding game too.
Post #: 1
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 9:16:11 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: SargeantTex

I've seen lots of threads about bad games so I will start one about good games here are some of the favorites I have played.

1.Aces in the Pacific\Dynamix - one of the all time greats.

2.Aces of the deep\Dynamix - again one of the greats.

3.Complete carriers at war\SSG - a very good game.

4.1942 war in the south pacific\Microprose - not 100% sure if the title is correct but was a very good game focused on the war in the solomons had very good 3D graphics of ships at time came out in early to mid nineties. still wish I had this one and a machine to run it on. I really wish some one would update these games where modern machines would run them. would love to be able to play them again. One I left out Aces over Europe was a outstanding game too.

Jeeze, I would have made that list myself....
I also did enjoy Geat Naval Battles North Atlantic (1st game) when it came out - I loved the grand campaign.
Also liked Medieval Total War

EDIT: Carriers at War is where I started playing around with ship graphics - wished I kept them.

< Message edited by Big B -- 12/13/2005 9:18:09 PM >

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 2
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 9:43:57 PM   
crsutton

Grigsby's Pacific War would have to be no 1 in my book. Played it for years, then forgot about it. Found Matrix games and the upgraded free versions and started playing it again while waiting for UV.

Combat Mission is still great-still play it all the time.

Medieval Total War-Viking Invasion is still on my hard drive and I am playing the Turks now.

Just like girlfriends, the best is always the first. Got my new Leading Edge PC about 20 years ago ($1,900!) My first computer game was Epyx's "Sub Battle" Just 2D black silouettes on a green screen, but a great game. That was the beginning of my wife's complaining about me spending too much time on the computer. Has not stopped in 20 years.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 3
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 9:51:16 PM   
Alexander Seil

Hearts of Iron 2 would be the best grand strategic wargame I've ever played, while TOAW takes a second place as the best operational wargame

By the way, after waiting for Combined Arms for a very long time, I finally caved in and bought WitP. Now I only need some time to figure it all out

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 10:09:02 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: SargeantTex

Title was Task Force 1942. A truly excelent surface combat sim. I loved to take a ship well away from the action and watch from the bridge as the colored tracers arced through the sky.

Post #: 5
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 10:52:04 PM   
kaleun

Silent hunter (Or was it silent service II) was IMHO the best sub simulation ever. I've read some bad reviews about the SH3, playing the german sub. It had great graphics, and the campaign mode was really good. Someone wrote a series of steps to make it work under windows XP, but I could never make it work right.

Of course the GG games, USAAF and war in SWPAC for the venerable C64 introduced me to the grognard genre. I later on followed with the original pacwar, BoB and BTR from Talonsoft.

I liked Medieval war too, and still have it, although I preferred Shogun and Rome total war better.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 6
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/13/2005 11:08:38 PM   
DFalcon

I really liked Kampfgruppe, Battle Group and Typhoon of Steel. I was always a little disappointed that Steel Panthers did not utilize the simultaneous turn execution used in this series. It was one of the first computer war games that I played extensively two player and had some great times with it.

Post #: 7
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 12:21:44 AM   
Thilo

Pacific War
War in Russia
Carrier force, knights in the desert, carriers at war - all for the c64
Amiga was a hard time, with Empire the best if I remember correct.

Definitely my favorite ones, and the ones I dumped the most time in, from scooldays to now

(in reply to DFalcon)
Post #: 8
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 12:46:37 AM   
waynec

fighter command the battle of britain (1986?) for the apple 2e/c. real coastline (not pixelated), good ai, enough information to make decisions, not too much just to impress the player. no mouse, no harddrive but i used counters from AH battle of britain plus charts and maps i made. had a whole warroom type setup, drinking tea (and rum), smoking a pipe, making decisions. and whoa be it if i got lazy part way through a campaign.

action stations a lot of data, pc-based but no mouse, CIC style graphics

steel panthers

TOAW

Attachment (1)

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.

Post #: 9
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 1:08:18 AM   
RevRick

Got to agree about Actions Stations. Sweating in the dark with little information, poor communications, and Big Bad Guys around was fun - as a game!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to waynec)
Post #: 10
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 1:13:36 AM   
mdiehl

Talonsoft's Rising Sun.
SSI's Panzer General.
MS CFS.
SSI's Gary Grisgby's Pacific War.

In that order.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 11
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 1:18:06 AM   
GaryChildress

Following WitP of course , I would definitely rank Close Combat IV and V at the very top of the heap. Best RTS games I ever played. SSI did a much better job than Microsoft on the series IMO.

Gary

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 12
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 1:39:23 AM   
Rob Brennan UK

I have to agree with most of the above. especially the expensive PC's of the 80's and 90's ! ..

modern games would include Rome total war. BUT with the rome total realism patch that actually makes it much more historical ( and pretty too).. no more daft 'head hurlers' and such

I'd love to see Medieval total war with the RTW graphics engine ! even a napoleonic version would be outstanding.

SH3 was/is great but a bit too samey to be a classic.

and lets not forget the combat mission (1-3)series .. WOW .. tactical level WW2 has never been better than those titles. first even e-mail game was a CM game .. and been loving playing real people ever since.

Civilisation (1) was a class act too. not too authentic mind you. but in addictivity (is that a word) its got to be the best ever.

COMPUTER GAMES ..

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 13
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 1:57:02 AM   
FeurerKrieg

I very much enjoy the close combat series as well. Slow enough for a grognard, but real time for some major adreenaline rushed when you are waiting for your Tigers turret to traverse while hearing sherman shells bang off your side armor. What a blast of a game.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 14
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 2:02:15 AM   
rtrapasso

Some great games - but one i've always come back to is Harpoon.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 15
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 2:04:07 AM   
jrlans

I would have to say

1. Aces of the pacific - best flight sim of its day too bad it was hard to scrounge up the memory to play i can remember running memaker dozens of times just to get enough memory to run it.
2. Secret Weapons of the Luftwathe- the campaign game was loads of fun if a bit simplistic but at the time i was 10 and loved it. (Ive always liked games where i could strategicaly plan then tacticaly carry out)
3. D-Day - from the board game by avalon hill. Just a great turn based tatical combat.
4. GNB 1 & 2 - Durring there day these were great i can remember some great battles like Bismark, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst v. 10 RN cruisers. Also the grand campaign was great though a bit more control would have been a bit better but for its time it was wonderfull. GNB2 was also a fun take on carrier combat although it was a bit easy and kinda small only encompasing the Solomons where it predisor covered the enitre war.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 16
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 2:05:33 AM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Some great games - but one i've always come back to is Harpoon.

Damn forgot that one .. rtrapasso.. very good call. Latter incarnation were a bit worse but the original was amazing. loved the music when you sank an enemy ship

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 17
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 2:08:44 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

3. D-Day - from the board game by avalon hill. Just a great turn based tatical combat

Man - that was the first real wargame i ever played (not counting things like Chess, Risk, etc.)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/14/2005 2:09:17 AM >

(in reply to jrlans)
Post #: 18
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 2:14:55 AM   
jrlans

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

3. D-Day - from the board game by avalon hill. Just a great turn based tatical combat

Man - that was the first real wargame i ever played (not counting things like Chess, Risk, etc.)

Yah i picked up battles in normady hopping for it to be simmlar and i was a bit dissapointed 1 day turns and divsion counters were a bit to strategic for me. (Also didnt realy like the way CAS and Bombardment was handled) Oh well ill just have to wait patently till someone remakes it

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 19
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 2:55:44 AM   
Titanwarrior89

For me it would be 1. witp
2. uv
3. combat mission

These are the games that i really like and got into. Still have all on my hard drive. Yes i have played most of the other games mentioned here and their very good as well. But for "me" this is my pick.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to jrlans)
Post #: 20
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 3:14:39 AM   
durnedwolf

Do you remember Luftwaffe, by Lucas Arts? I liked investing in the secret weapons as a german player - you never knew what you'd get. Air battles were decided by how well you did in simulated air combat. @ the time I thought it was pretty cool.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

Post #: 21
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 3:21:23 AM   
Sarge

1) CMBB and AK

2) WITP

3) HTTR

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 22
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 3:22:15 AM   
stretch

The microprose games (Task Force 1942) and the GNB series used to be avaialable at The Underdogs site. But the comapnies forced them to pull the games, despite it not being made available to anyone anywhere any way. Gotta love the Corporation.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 23
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 3:58:48 AM   
SGT Swanson

Ok, now don't laugh at my list, but I've been around for a while.

The list is broken down into board games and their computer equal.

1) AH's Squad Leader (original 4 games) - Combat Mission (comes closest so far)
2) Victory Games Pacific War - SSI's Pac War & WitP
3) AH Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich - Still tinkering with World at War demo (not sure yet).
4) AH The Longest Day (largest board game ever produced) - Atomics V for Victory series
5) ALL the Aces's games from Dynamix ( I still think they set the standards that have yet been surpassed)
6) TAOW - for it's broad range of coverage (hope these guys get the OOBs corrected fianlly)

And for SciFi / fantasy

D&D - Morrowwind IMHO the only game that lets you get higher than 15th level and the restrictions are minumal.

I was raised on AH's board games and hold them in very high esteem as they didn't have the internet to help them with the research like these companies do today. So, I have excating standards when I look at a game to buy.

SGT Swanson
U.S. Army, Infantry
B Co 4/502d Inf. Berlin BDE (87-90)
A Co 5/502d Inf. Berlin BDE (90-93)
B Co 2/502d Inf. 101st Airborne Div. (93-95)

"Because freedom is NEVER free!!"

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 24
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 4:46:28 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Warship (on an 8086 no less). Broke my cherry on her...
Silent Service. I used to bug my brother to play it on his 286.. I have fuzzy memory of a girlfriend being lost about that time...
Some warship simulator that I cannot remember the name of that had a securty of needing a 5 letter word from certain paragraphs.
Carriers at War Loved it except that a CV TF couldn't move once it launched a strike. HATED that
Carrier Strike
PacWar. -nuf said

Ok, I'm getting dizzy now.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 12/14/2005 4:47:11 AM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to SGT Swanson)
Post #: 25
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 4:50:48 AM   
smallie1

Always enjoyed SPIs Sniper. Was particularly good when we had 2 boards, a referee, and could play blind.

(in reply to SGT Swanson)
Post #: 26
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 5:03:41 AM   
Ramjet

AH: The Russian Campaign
AH: Wooden Ships and Iron Men
Victory Games: American Civil War
Talonsoft: Gettysburg
SSI: War in Russia

(in reply to smallie1)
Post #: 27
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 5:49:50 AM   
bigmed1204

Well I know my experience is somewhat limited but I can't resist, tis such a cool thread.

Favorites.

1. Korsun Pocket - I know some people don't dig it but it was my first wargame, and I had a lot of fun with it. I got it, couldn't figure it out and put it away. Later on for a teaching internship I needed to do a 50 minute presentation to teach a group to do something. I did loads of research on it, played a full campaign and took screenshots of every pertinent factor in the game for my powerpoint. After figuring it out I played the ladders at Run5 for some time and loved every minute of it. Incidentally five people in the class decided to snag it and are currently playing BiI I believe.

2. WitP - Yeah I know, buggy, etc etc. I don't care. I love it no matter what. It is so deep. Only reason it hasn't hit number one is that I am hardly anywhere into it yet.

3. Battles in Normandy - This was just a sweet update of KP, and honestly would be number 1 if it had come with some converted eastern front campaigns.

I have no good amiga/commodore stories as all I was into then was Kings Quest, Wizardry and Ultima. Yay. Ok that's all I have.

< Message edited by bigmed1204 -- 12/14/2005 5:50:50 AM >

Post #: 28
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 5:50:10 AM   
m10bob

1.Steel Panthers,WAW
2. WITP
3.Uncommon Valor
4.Aces of the Deep(even played music of your choosing from the radio room of the era !!)
5.Task Force 1942(Excellent graphics and concept )first person simmer.
6.Castles (complete with a BBC documentary), the tactical battles however, sucked bad..
7.TOAW
8.Age of Rifles!(Bring it back !!)
9.Carrier Strike(ability to decide load-outs on all your planes!)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 12/14/2005 5:52:43 AM >

(in reply to Ramjet)
Post #: 29
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/14/2005 6:32:02 AM   
waynec

quote:

I really liked Kampfgruppe, Battle Group and Typhoon of Steel

wow i forgot about kampfgruppe and battle group (and mech brigade). almost makes me want to dig out the apple 2c from the basement and hook it up in my study.

now if we are talking games we played to death TANKS by ssi with the novastar mods and additional scenarios. really liked the scenarios, especially the '42 games. wouldn't work with the new video card in my pc so i had the cover unscrewed and would swap video cards and play for hours upon hours.

and if we are going back to board games

ironclads by yaquinto with the expansion kit
terrible swift sword (though i remeber folks bitching about the nuances of this game as much as some bitch about WitP)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by waynec -- 12/14/2005 7:04:07 PM >

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The best Wargame simulation you ever played. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI