Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing commanding units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Changing commanding units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing commanding units - 7/6/2000 2:03:00 PM   
Belaja smert

Hi, The new command&control system in SPWAW is IMO a great feature, you have to think carefully about your objectives and routes to them. However, since it is now often vitally important that the commanding unit is able to move with its subordinates and command them we need to have a way to change the commanding unit. Unit G0 -> G1 and so forth. This is extremely important for AFVs, it is not much fun when in a tank battle your commanding tank is destroyed and surviving crew bails out, staying in command!!! Now you have a panicked crew without a radio, capable of doing nothing sensible unable to command... In a recent battle I fought I lost two 0-unit tanks which both had 4 other tanks under their command. I was forced to retreat as the enemy pressed forward, but I couldn't! My tanks were like sitting ducks in the open ground just waiting to be slaughtered. So instead of losing just two tanks and retreating I was forced to fight to the bitter end, all 10 tanks destroyed and my southern flank shattered. Soviets especially are influenced by this problem since their tanks are seldom equipped with radios. One solution to the problem could be that when an AFV is destroyed command would transfer to the next unit; G0->G1, G1->G2. This already happens with infantry and should IMO happen with AFVs even if some of the crew survives, because I don't believe for a minute that surviving crew members could still command other tanks. Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"
Post #: 1
- 7/6/2000 5:11:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

Hello You are right about what you say about commanding unit thing. I have noticed some "features" in the game that I think must be changed! First, when you lost a tank and some crew members survived, then you can use them as observers because they rallied to "ready" very fast and they have full "line of sight". Also they can do assault against enemy tanks with pistols and I had saw many dueles with pistols between my and computers tank crew crews! I think that survived crew members must have reduced "line of sight" and NO opportunities to do assaults. Or reducing their ability to rally do the same thing. Second "feature" is an old one, being there from SP1. When you right click enemy tank you can "see" what type of infantry its carrying, also when enemy fire from long range you "see" what kind of unit fire at you etc. This is not a big thing but I think it is a bit more realistic if you can't "see" those things. Third I want to point out that artillery are too often out of contact! I can understand that radio links are not good in WW2 era but I do not accept that artillery fires other than my missions. I have bought that artillery for my mission not for others! Despite these "features" SPWaW is a very good game, perhaps the best of its kind and I want to thanks everybody who had working with it. Keep on good work! Ps. I apologies my quite poor english Steel Thunder

(in reply to Belaja smert)
Post #: 2
- 7/6/2000 5:36:00 PM   
Scarhead

quote:

Originally posted by Steel Thunder: Hello You are right about what you say about commanding unit thing.
Load the 0 crew (if it rallies at least to pinned) on another tank (like grunts). This sometimes works. If it does not work - try to get that crew killed. Then command will usually transfer. Always keep your formation together - if there are no radios, you have to really stick together on just a few hexes. Protect you HQ units. They are the last to advance, and always stay behind a bit. If not on the attack, set the objective towards the rear - it is often better to be able to protect yourself than to attack others. Having stance on defend is a problem for tanks without radio, too. Russian officers not obeying orders were often shot. So it is better to sit and wait for the Fascists to kill you ( and maybe some of them, too) when you do not receive new orders. Having Russian tanks getting slaughtered because C2 is so bad - hey, they have superior armor, superior firepower, but nevertheless it took a long time till they were on a par with the Germans. (And a T34 ain't more expensive than a PzIIIj...) The reason was Guderian's heritage of being a communications officer before getting a tanker...
quote:

Third I want to point out that artillery are too often out of contact! I can understand that radio links are not good in WW2 era but I do not accept that artillery fires other than my missions. I have bought that artillery for my mission not for others!
This makes arty much more expensive as you have to buy several battalions to have one available. I noticed that experience (and using v2.1 up) drastically increases arty contact. Scarhead

Post #: 3
- 7/6/2000 6:35:00 PM   
Belaja smert

quote:

Originally posted by Scarhead: Load the 0 crew (if it rallies at least to pinned) on another tank (like grunts). This sometimes works. If it does not work - try to get that crew killed. Then command will usually transfer. Always keep your formation together - if there are no radios, you have to really stick together on just a few hexes.
That probably works, but it shouldn't be necessary for the player to deliberately massacre his own troops.
quote:

Protect you HQ units. They are the last to advance, and always stay behind a bit.
You are of course right about this, but in my case there was a lot of open space to cross and as you pointed out soviets have to keep their tank formations really tight. So Wild Bill and others, I for one would be greatful if the commanding unit problem could be solved somehow. Belaja smert P.S. I'm really looking forward playing those TCP/IP -games, it should make an excellent game even better.

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Post #: 4
- 7/6/2000 9:47:00 PM   
BA Evans

quote:

Originally posted by Scarhead: Load the 0 crew (if it rallies at least to pinned) on another tank (like grunts). This sometimes works. If it does not work - try to get that crew killed. Then command will usually transfer. Scarhead
No way! I am not going to have my valuable, experienced commanders committe suicide. It took a long time to get them to elite status. I will turn off Command and Control if it comes to this. Problem solved. BA Evans

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Changing commanding units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI