Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your Favourite War Movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Your Favourite War Movie Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your Favourite War Movie - 7/6/2000 8:21:00 PM   
Von Rom

Some of my favourites include: 1) The Great Escape - with Steve McQueen - a true classic 2) Hamburger Hill - very intense combat 3) Das Boot - need I say more? Very realistic U-boat action 4) Stalingrad - most realistic movie of the War in the East that I have ever seen. ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

Post #: 1
- 7/6/2000 8:33:00 PM   
sven

Spice World.... not a war movie you say? Bollux it makes me want to visit their concert with an Abrams. Seriously I think my favorite would have to be the "Why We Fight" series. regards, sven ------------------ Give all you can all you can give....

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 2
- 7/6/2000 8:51:00 PM   
Fabs

1) Stalingrad 2) Das Boot (OK, it's not a movie, but still brilliant!) 3) Paths of Glory 3) Cross of Iron 3) Kelly's heroes (What a hoot!) 4) A bridge too far 4) The Big Red One 4) The longest day 5) Apocalypse Now 6) All quiet on the Western Front (most recent color re-make) 6) Sands of Iwo Jima 7) Full Metal Jacket 8) Platoon 9) Hamburger Hill 9) The thin red line 10) Battle of the Bulge 10) Anzio etc. ... I should also mention the movie about Merrill's Marauders, Tora Tora Tora, Midway, For whom the Bell Tolls, Sgt. York and From Here To Eternity. I am not including movies with a Holocaust theme because I feel they are in a category of their own. Of these, Schindler's list and Gott mit Uns come to mind. Why not Saving Private Ryan? Fantastic combat footage and acting performances, pity about the storyline, which I found oversentimental, weak and scarcely believable. A big disappointment. I am greatly lookiong forward to the release of "Band of Brothers". ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 3
- 7/6/2000 9:07:00 PM   
Drake666

Will it got to be Das Boot & Stalingrad.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 4
- 7/6/2000 9:08:00 PM   
Tankhead

My favorites are: 1) Das Boot - Von your are right about this one. 2) Stallingrad - By the same producer that made Das Boot. 3) A bridge too far. 4) The Deer Hunter Classic Vietnam movie. 5) Patton A classic 6) Kelly Heroes What a hoot 7) The Thin Red Line Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout [This message has been edited by Tankhead (edited 07-06-2000).]

Tankhead

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 5
- 7/6/2000 9:55:00 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello... I really like many of the war movies mentioned already, but I suppose my two favorites are: 1) On the Beach 2) The Day After Bye... Michael Wood

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 6
- 7/6/2000 10:07:00 PM   
Seth

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Red Dawn yet?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 7
- 7/6/2000 10:31:00 PM   
Spunkgibbon

Hmmm. This question is always a tricky one to answer and I can never answer it in any kind of order. My top ten war movies then, in no particular order. Saving Private Ryan - Brutally honest combat scenes make up for Tom Hanks. Lawrence of Arabia - Brilliant. It's been far too long since I've seen this. Cross of Iron - Our Man Steiner. David Warner plays a great character and has the best line. Ice Cold in Alex - Superb b&w British drama set in North Africa. Kelly's Heroes - The old favourite. The Colditz Story - Hugely underrated escape movie. IMO better than the Great Escape. Where Eagles Dare - Preposterously unlikely but brilliant nevertheless. A Bridge Too Far - Bad plan. Great movie. Das Boot - Jurgen Prochnow's greatest moment. Zulu - I can't help it. I'm British. There are a few films that almost survived the list pruning and maybe should be there anyway: Stalingrad - I saw it once when it first came out and remember it being very good but I can't remember much else about it. I should see it again. The Assassination - A Czech film about the assassination of Heydrich. Again I saw it once ages ago. The Great Escape - Great stuff but one escape movie is enough for a top ten list. If you like this movie, you'll love Chicken Run... Apocalypse Now - I left this one out because I've seen it TOO many times... The Monocled Mutineer - Left out because it's a BBC TV series. It's about Percy Topliss who led a mutiny at a British training camp in France during WWI. It really is very good. I'm looking forward to Enemy at the Gates coming out. Anyone know when it's due out?

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 8
- 7/6/2000 10:55:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Your lists are all well done. I have over 300 combat movies and docs I have collected on video over the last 15 years. Your lists are impressive. Let me mention two that you may or may not be aware of. The Victors...Made in the 70s I think, a more realistic portrayal of a combat unit from North Africa through the end of the war with a very moving ending scene. Lots of stars. Too Late the Hero...Michael Caine and Cliff Robertson make quite a pair. And one more...I don't know when to quit Between Heaven and Hell, And I can't believe you left out: A Walk in the Sun Hell is for Heroes (another McQueen movie) Halls of Montezuma (Richard Widmark, Jack Palance) And what about Korea? The Steel Helmet All the Young Men Bridges of Toko-Ri Now you guys have gotten me started. You should not have done that Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 9
- 7/6/2000 11:07:00 PM   
Panther

longest day battle of britain.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 10
- 7/6/2000 11:08:00 PM   
Fabs

The halls of Montezuma, of course, how could I forget! The same goes for Lawrence of Arabia, Patton and Zulu. I have seen so many war movies I could fill a telephone book with old favourites. Thank you for jogging my memory, I'll be off to the video shop this evening! ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-06-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 11
- 7/6/2000 11:15:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Add "The Patriot." Very few good movies on the American Revolution. While somewhat ahistorical, of course, some of the battle scenes are quite sensational. It shows a more brutal side of war, which in reality has always been there. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 12
- 7/6/2000 11:24:00 PM   
von Curow

A couple more to add: "Zulu Dawn"... great combat scenes. "The Wild Geese" and "The Dark of the Sun" are fictional movies about mercenaries in Africa. Both are grim and gritty, but Wild Geese is definitely the best.

The closer you are to Caesar, the greater the fear.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 13
- 7/6/2000 11:24:00 PM   
Fabs

Talking about well produced battle scenes, the early scenes of ancient battle in "The Gladiator" are quite spectacular. The same goes for some of the battle scenes in "The last of the Mohicans" and "Bravehart", and a British television series about a Napoleonic Wars British soldier called "Sharpe". ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 14
- 7/6/2000 11:32:00 PM   
Semachus

Besides all the films listed I would include the following...They Were Expendable, 12 O'Clock High and Objective Burma....(Objective Burma has one of the better performances of Errol Flynn -- an actor who is usually forgotton when people or places do a list of great film actors like Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, etc.). Anyway Objective Burma has a terrific score by Franz Waxman (being released this summer as a new recording by Marco Polo)..the story is about how a mission starts well and then things begin to go wrong....

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 15
- 7/7/2000 12:04:00 AM   
Voriax

Too bad it's difficult for you to get your hands at the original version of 'Tuntematon sotilas' (Unknown Soldier) Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 16
- 7/7/2000 12:26:00 AM   
sami heimola

..."Talvisota" (Winter War)and "Rukajärven tie" (Road of Rukajärvi Lake) Sami
quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: Too bad it's difficult for you to get your hands at the original version of 'Tuntematon sotilas' (Unknown Soldier) Voriax

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 17
- 7/7/2000 12:38:00 AM   
kfbaker

Dunkirk, Kelly's heroes, Battle of river Plate, Toro, Toro, Toro, Midway, Bridge To Far Das Boot Enermy below Cross of Iron Great Escape Play Dirty Ice Cold Alex

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 18
- 7/7/2000 12:48:00 AM   
Bart

I should say that Sharpe is a very nice series also i like the serie Hornblower, but the best movie i think is Saving Private Ryan, fantastic combat scenes, as in gladiator at the start of the movie

Realgamer magazine the best!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 19
- 7/7/2000 12:49:00 AM   
cward

Probably the first anti-war movie "Steel Helmet" quite interesting.. Snipit from REEL.COM The Steel Helmet (1951) Starring: Gene Evans, Robert Hutton Director: Samuel Fuller Synopsis: Downbeat Korean War drama paints bleak picture of men in combat. Will appeal to adventurous war-film buffs and viewers seeking an anti-war message flavored with cynical humanism. Runtime: 84 minutes MPAA Rating: NR

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 20
- 7/7/2000 12:55:00 AM   
Windo von Paene

A war movie which is more of an anti-war movie is "A Midnight Clear". Definately worth a rental.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 21
- 7/7/2000 1:17:00 AM   
FrankyVas

The devil's brigade , Das Boot, Memphis Belle , All quiet in the western front, The Seven Samurai (Small war, but war none the less) ok, back to work. Frank V.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 22
- 7/7/2000 1:27:00 AM   
Charles22

I can't remember all the name's, but her's a few: The Longest Day - This one just gets me sucked to the tv screen, everytime I see it's on, I think I'm only going to watch a minute or two and it tunrs into some 40 or more minutes. I like particularly that the Germans speak German, and that everything seems to be going on at once. Das Boot - Saw this one at the theatres and it was amazing how much I felt I was part of that boat, and then it was almost heartbreaking for them to end up getting bombed in port. The Big Red One Saving Private Ryan Cross of Iron (for what bits I saw of it) - "We are winning, we are winning. We are now counterattacking." Battle of Britian - What a great shot that was of those ME109s when you first saw them coming straight at the camera to strafe the airfield. The Desert Fox - The commanding officer you see portrayed in the movie (who salutes Rommel, whom I believe, the actor was the actual man), wrote a book I have on Rommel. Patton The Lighthorsemen - For emotional impact, this has to be very, very close to the top of my all-time greatest war movie. I actually saw this movie having no idea what it was about. I expected something like a B-movie performance, but boy was it good. There's a very sweet story, based on facts about one soldier. This was a movie that was so off the wall for me, that I had no idea who was going to win the climatic battle. I saw this at the theatres and the calvary charge was so dramatic and volumnous that I could understand why WWI leaders didn't want to abandon the calvary. Man I still get goose-pimples thinking about this scene. Great, great timing of surprises during this battle, in fact I was so wrapped up by it, that one scene actually had me shout, "Kill him" while I was seating. Man, that movie got me charged.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 23
- 7/7/2000 2:07:00 AM   
Tankhead

Wild Bill with all the movies you posted, I new I forgot one Is Paris Burning? - With an all-star cast. Great movie about the Allied Resistance and the Paris Liberation of 1944 was done in 1996 but it is in black & white. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout

Tankhead

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 24
- 7/7/2000 2:46:00 AM   
warhead

84 Charlie Mopic(1989)-A widely acclaimed drama about the horrors of Vietnam seen through the eyes of a cameraman assigned to a special front-line unit. Filled with an unknown cast, this is an unsettling film that sheds new light on the subject of the Vietnam war.Powerful and energetic.Music by Donovan. Hell in the Pacific(1969)-A marvelously photograhed psycho/macho allegory, about an American(Lee Marvin) and a Japanese soldier stranded together on a tiny island and the mini-war they fight all by themselves. Overly obvious anti-war statement done with style. Very intelligently humorous too. When Trumpets Fade(1998)-Private Manning is the only survivor of his platoon, which is caught in the battle of the Hurtgen Forest along the Belgian-German border in 1944. Manning is interested in nothing more than his own survival but his skills attract the attention of an officer"you're the only one who survived, thats something the rest of your platoon couldn't manage to do" who promptly promotes him to Sgt. (and soon lieutenant) and gives him his own platoon of raw recruits to whip into shape. Amongst the main-stream I like:Cross of Iron,Hamburger Hill,Stalingrad and Gettysburg.

Backstage at the '76 Mr.Olympia: Serge Nubrut to Arnold "I look like I can take you"...Arnold "keep looking"

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 25
- 7/7/2000 2:59:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

quote:

Originally posted by warhead: 84 Charlie Mopic
I was trying to remember the name of that film a couple of days ago. I could remember the Charlie Mopic bit but the number was eluding me. A good film too.

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 26
- 7/7/2000 3:10:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Aha! You did it. Not one mentioned that fantastic French Foreign Legion movie with the initimitable Gene Hackman...March or Die. Now the scene where the Bedouins are charging, the legionnaires highly outnumbered and the Lt. stutters and whispers, "Sir, will you give the order to fire..sir, the fire order?" while Hackman gazes at the fast riding attackers...that is a moment. I'm watching this one again tonight! And who can forget Uncommon Valor...and our poor MIAs who were so poorly treated. Hey Michael..."On the Beach" and "The Day After?" Kind of pessimistic viewing, eh? Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 27
- 7/7/2000 3:38:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

I notice "Das Boot" is mentioned most often. I quite agree. I first saw it with my wife in the theatre using English subtitles. It is the only war film my wife actually said she was moved by. (surprised the heck out of me) I think the subtitles compelled her to actually follow the dialogue instead of zone out. The drama is compelling for anyone that pays attention. I was very impressed by "Saving Private Ryan" and I'm not easily impressed. I read about "Stalingrad" when it was first made in Germany. I'm desperate to see it. Can someone tell me if it can be rented (or purchased) on VHS in the U.S. And perhaps what video chain might carry it?
quote:

Originally posted by Von Rom: Some of my favourites include: 1) The Great Escape - with Steve McQueen - a true classic 2) Hamburger Hill - very intense combat 3) Das Boot - need I say more? Very realistic U-boat action 4) Stalingrad - most realistic movie of the War in the East that I have ever seen.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 28
- 7/7/2000 4:08:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Critic's Choice Video. They have a free search service too and delivery is prompt. Prices are good. I can't find their snail-mail address but they are online. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 29
- 7/7/2000 4:14:00 AM   
Kerg

No one has mentioned "Winter War" the finnish film about the Russian invasion of Finland in WW2. I thought it was pretty good and liked the actual use of the real Russian tanks (T28's?)

Field Marshal Kerg, Combat Command Stats-> Games Played = 141, Points/game = 4179, <br />Average Placing = 3.4, W% = 28%, L% = 29%, D% = 44%, Total Points 589,232, Leagues Entered = 10, Top Three Finish % = 80

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Your Favourite War Movie Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI