Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ongoing Air and Naval Combat tweaking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Ongoing Air and Naval Combat tweaking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ongoing Air and Naval Combat tweaking - 12/29/2005 1:43:12 AM   
MarioF

Hi All,
I've been watching the Forum for about a year now and put in my 2 cents about once every 3 months or so. I notice that the bloody air combat routines are giving people some trouble. I think that it needs to be fixed along with the naval combat routine and ship hits/damage.

AIR COMBAT-

I've tried in vain to adjust:

Air weapon range,accuracy, penetration, and effect.
Aircraft durability and armor ratings.

This is all in an effort to reduce ATA casualties and make thanm realistic. The best result that I can come up with is:

Air weapons toned down dramatically to the following values:

For starters all air weapons on a fighter have been combined into one weapon

eg. stock P-47D has 8 .50 cal weapons with each gun having a chance to fire. (8 shots)

My mod - I relace the current guns with one gun representing 8 .50 cal MG. Therefore you have a weapon ID represented as 8X.50 cal MG. This is a single weapon with a single chance to fire. (1 shot)

ALL FIGHTER WEAPONS HAVE THE FOLLOWING VALUES
Effect from 9 - 12 based on assumption of relative firepower. (fighters)
Accuracy range from 12 - 15 again based on assumption of hit busrt probability. (fighters)
Range for all ATA weapons to 1. (fighters)

examples of P-47D weapons

STOCK .50cal MG #161 MY MOD 8x.50 cal
each of the eight guns has One comprehensive gun
Range 4 Range 1
Acc 29 Acc 15
Effect 3 Effect 12
total effect is 3 x 8 guns =24 Total effect is still 12

For aircraft with mixed guns I again just WAG it and come up with a value.
So for a A6M2 Zero fighter I end up with one ATA weapon called - 2x20mm/2x7.7mm.

the 2x20mm/2x7.7mm values are:
Range 1
Acc 12
Effect 10
total effect of 10

I've had pretty good luck using the formula above, even when you have large engagements as the losses stay reasonable (5-10% if I remember correcectly) However you need to boost the durability rating of fighters dramatically in order to keep the losses down.

STOCK P-47D MY MOD P-47D
durability 36 durability 56
Armor 1 Armor 2

STOCK A6M2 Zero MY MOD A6M2 Zero
durability 22 durability 46
armor 0 armor 1

All fighter hava a durability rage of 46 -56.
All fighters have an armor rating of 2 (except for early fragile aircraft = 1)

The trouble is that if you don't shoot down enough of the attacking planes when attacking bases and ships, the attack aircraft/bombers get through and pulverize everything.

Therefore torpedo and divebomber aircraft stay with about the same values for durability and armor. (in other words thay should be fairly easy to kill)
Durability ranges from 23 - 31 max for TB/DM with max Armor of 1
Medium and Heavy bombers stay basically the same as far as durability and armor ratings. The defensive machine guns on the bombers should be changed to about half the value of the fighter guns.

BOMBER .50 cal MG

Range 2
Acc 5
Effect 5

This can give you a high effect rating on a heavy bomber like a B-24D ( 10 MG's X 5 effect = 50). Don't woory about that because it adds to defensive fire and I find that the
fighter vs hvy bomber encounters realistic with these mods. Plus the extra range of weapon over fighter seems to let bombers fire first.

This is just a summary of my months!! of exhaustive ATA combat testing and I feel that this is as good as it will get based on current game code.

NAVAL combat rambling to follow later.

Post #: 1
RE: Ongoing Air and Naval Combat tweaking - 12/29/2005 4:52:37 AM   
spence

In the Zero Bonus Thread recently some tests were made which tended to indicate that the +whatever MVR Zero Bonus did not enhance the Zeros kills but rather toned down its losses. It would seem to me then that the way to reduce A2A bloodletting is to increase the MVR ratings across the board by some amount.

(in reply to MarioF)
Post #: 2
RE: Ongoing Air and Naval Combat tweaking - 12/29/2005 7:18:09 AM   
MarioF

Interesting clue about the manuever ratings. I haven't tried raising them for all the fighters across the board, but maybe i'll give it a try when I got time.

Thanks fo rthe tip.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Ongoing Air and Naval Combat tweaking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI