Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

World at War above and beyond?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> World at War above and beyond? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World at War above and beyond? - 11/30/2005 1:58:45 PM   
DingoSaar

Hi!

I found out about the new Steel Panthers games just recently. I enjoyed most SP2 and SP3, but my computer was not able to run them correctly (too fast :-( ).

Wouldn't it be a fine extension of SP:WaW when it was taken beyond WW2, to the Cold War, and even back to WW1? I would consider it interesting to replay the Battle of Cambrai, but I have to admit I enjoyed the possibilities of SP2 plotting different modern units against one another more. Also, the possibilities of moving up to operational levels are a thing I do miss.

As far as I see, SP:WaW uses the SP3-engine; wouldn't it be desirable to have all the options of the classic SP series re-implemented into it?

(I know there is SP:MBT, and I play it; however, it's the SP2-engine, and it tends to crash on my Win2k-machine very, very frequently.)

Yours
Ralf Hagen
Post #: 1
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 11/30/2005 5:35:03 PM   
IBTyrone

Hi Ralf and welcome to the forums!

I've only been playing SPWAW for about four years, but I enjoy it now as much as I did the first day I stumbled upon it.

I can answer a few of your questions. To an extent, SPWAW can extend back to WWI. M4Jess did a scenario based on Somme 1916 (http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3724). It can also extend into the Korean War. Redleg did a scenario based on Dien Ben Phu in 1953. (http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3485).

As for the more modern stuff, WinSPMBT is out which is much more stable on Windows platforms. I don't have the url handy for that. Perhaps someone else does?

Hope this helps.

(in reply to DingoSaar)
Post #: 2
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 11/30/2005 7:21:41 PM   
DingoSaar

Thanks very much to you. I also did notice WildBill made a Korea series of 8 installments.

One of the fine things about SP2 was the "What If?"-approach - what if Italy tried to invade Tyrol, or a friend of mine took a German paratroopers brigade to Vietnam - not to mention the "all-time classic" east vs. west in Northern Germany. That's something I dearly miss. :-(

I tweaked a little in my system and tried again to run SP:MBT. Same result - after some 3-7 minutes of gameplay, the game just stops without any further notice (full screen goes back to Win2k, thread is terminated). :-((((((

Perhaps some day, Matrix decides to make the "Ultimate Edition" of WaW.

Yours
Ralf Hagen

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 3
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 12/1/2005 12:06:36 AM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: DingoSaar
I tweaked a little in my system and tried again to run SP:MBT. Same result - after some 3-7 minutes of gameplay, the game just stops without any further notice (full screen goes back to Win2k, thread is terminated). :-((((((

Perhaps some day, Matrix decides to make the "Ultimate Edition" of WaW.

Yours
Ralf Hagen

Ralf,

Are you running the WinSPMBT version from Shrapnel games? The one you can download here:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPMBT/6.htm

It should work fine in Win2k. I also had great difficulty running the DOS version of SP:MBT. I haven't had any problem with the Windows version.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

(in reply to DingoSaar)
Post #: 4
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 12/1/2005 2:52:36 AM   
wgs_explorer

Also, WinSPWW2 should be under development at this time as well. It's supposed to use the same engine as WinSPMBT.

Bill

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 5
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 12/1/2005 11:01:59 AM   
DingoSaar

quote:

ORIGINAL: IBTyrone

Ralf,

Are you running the WinSPMBT version from Shrapnel games? The one you can download here:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPMBT/6.htm

It should work fine in Win2k. I also had great difficulty running the DOS version of SP:MBT. I haven't had any problem with the Windows version.

Unfortunately, I did run the WinSP:MBT Version... Perhaps I should try moving to BSD or Linux and run it under a VMWare or Wine-Shell, that might work better.

WinSP:MBT also does zero debug messages, so that I cannot see why it terminated.

I still hope a bit that one day, WaW will include other epochs, as well.

Yours
Ralf

,,Sie schreien nach uns um Hilfe, wenn ihnen das Wasser in das Maul
rinnt, und wünschen uns vom Hals, kaum als einen Augenblick dasselbige
verschwunden.''
Prinz Eugen von Savoyen 1704

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 6
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 12/1/2005 2:17:54 PM   
IBTyrone

Okay Ralf, thanks for the clarification. Sorry it didn't work for you.

(in reply to DingoSaar)
Post #: 7
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 12/28/2005 10:13:37 AM   
Wild Bill

That's too bad Ralf. I share your yearning for SPWAW extended past 1949. I really don't think that will ever happen. There are some other good post WW2 scenarios inside of SPWAW done by various authers. I've done a few besides the ones you mentioned.

One that I particularly enjoyed playing and still do is the bayonet charge made in Korea. It is depicted and bayonets (CA) weapons are needed to finish the job. It is scenario #326, I think, Cold Steel."

Yeah, shame about SP2 and SP3. All the SP games have their own unique appeal.

WB
============

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 8
RE: World at War above and beyond? - 12/30/2005 11:24:51 PM   
Tyrson

This is the link for a modern war game which is basicly SPWAW as far as how the game is played it really quite good at this time it is only solo or PBEM http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm
The free version lacks nothing other then the enclopida and you prop want the WinSPMBT.
Hopes this helps
T out
As I look farther up I see a link to it all ready posted

< Message edited by Tyrson -- 12/30/2005 11:25:18 PM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> World at War above and beyond? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI