Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/1/2005 9:27:08 PM   
steveh11Matrix

Hi there! Not so much new to SPWAW as returning after a very long absence. I own the "Desert Fox" Megacampaign disk, so that's V5.0 - a "bit old" now, like me I guess!

I liked playing the long campaigns. I noticed that the latest patch was aimed at these so I thought I'd come back to the fold and give those tracks a whirl...so I expect to be in here asking questions for a while over the next few weeks!

About myself: I'm a Quality Engineer working for a small semiconductor company in the UK. My hobby aside from gaming is photography; I enjoy reading, especially ScFi and (of course) Military History. I'm 49 years young, married for 28 years and have a 23 year old musician son, far too large a mortgageand far too small a salary - but hopefully I retain my sense of humour. I look forward to "seeing" you all here. I know that some of you post in other forums here including the WitP one (Hi Terminus!) so I already feel reasonably "at home".

Regards,

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to steve#)
Post #: 151
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/2/2005 3:39:01 PM   
IBTyrone

Welcome back, Steve!

The game has changed some under the hood since 5.0. I jumped in right about that time. I've bought General's Edition, but haven't played the MCs at all because of all the other things the game can do. You might want to check out Das Reich, if you haven't already. It was a large user campaign designed by the folks over at the Depot and it is very very good--comparable to the MCs.

Again--welcome back!

Jeff

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 152
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/2/2005 10:48:59 PM   
Goblin

Welcome back Steve!

Goblin

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 153
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/3/2005 3:34:16 AM   
walkerd

Hi

I have just downloaded SPWAW so am a complete new guy. Only other Matrix game is WITP. I have a partner and two children (2 and 3). I work night shift for an emergency assistance company so with work kids and trying to sleep dont have a lot of time but try to get some free hours a week.

Started boardgaming and minitures almost 20 years ago and enjoyed games such as East Front II. Intend to download the manual, do some reading and try to learn the game - eventually.

Did see SPWAW a lot of years ago and was not hooked on the game then but is looks like there is a lot of support and a lot of work in this game.

"Carpe diem" - Seize the day!

"Carpe Cerevisi" - Seize the beer!

Post #: 154
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/3/2005 3:36:28 AM   
Goblin

Glad you decided to try it again, walkerd.

Goblin

(in reply to walkerd)
Post #: 155
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/3/2005 3:44:37 AM   
IBTyrone

Welcome Walkerd!

Just to let you know--the game can be managed on a limited time "budget." Because it is turned based, you can finish a turn or two a night and knock out a scenario in a week or so. You might want to spend some time perusing the forums here and over at the Depot (www.spwaw.com) to get up to speed more quickly. Feel free to ask questions--most of us will freely admit there is *a lot* that we don't know about the game yet we keep coming back. Go figure. It is *that* good a game.

(in reply to walkerd)
Post #: 156
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 11/30/2005 7:51:09 PM   
DingoSaar

Hi!

I just finished my first game of SP:WaW, and my first SP game in over 5 years.

I got addicted to SP2:Modern Battles, and I still shed many a tear that WaW currently is only WW2. (I know SP:MBT, and would very much like to play it - if my computer accepted it. :-((( )

IRL, I am a signal officer in the Federal Defence (Bundeswehr) of Germany. I very much enjoy reading; my last discovery is Harry Turtledove (Southern Victory series), which I do devour. My profession is medical computer science, and I am a paramedic for a non-profit ambulance organisation.

Yours
Ralf Hagen

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 157
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/8/2005 7:12:04 AM   
texag13

Howdy all. I am a 55 yr old gamer in Houston. I started out at age 12 playing D-Day, Stalingrad, Afrika Korps ect... I have not had much time over the past couple of years to play very often and I mainly play against the AI or various family members.
I do have a few questions about SPWAW. I am having a devil of a time loading troops onto vehicles... what is the secret? It is not like Steel 1... any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 158
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/8/2005 11:10:32 AM   
Puukkoo

Hello texag13 and DingoSaar!

Welcome.

Texag13! You seem to be struggling with loading troops onto vehicles. The vehicle and the unit must locate in the same hex. Hold shift key down and point at the destinated hex to get them into one hex. This should help you.

DingoSaar! It's good to have some more Germans here. That non-profit ambulance activity remains me of Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise in the Cannonball Run, where they took part in the contest driving an ambulance and claimed to be "wealthy philanthropists cruising around and looking for accidents." Forgive me I'm a fan of stupid movies.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to texag13)
Post #: 159
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/8/2005 4:21:07 PM   
Goblin

Hi guys, welcome aboard!

They made MBT into WinSPMBT, DingoSaar. If you have not tried MBT in some time, the new version may just work. Its designed for Windows.

Anyways, glad to see you both playing SPWaW. Say hi at the Depot too sometime.

Goblin

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 160
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/9/2005 3:41:28 AM   
eburr155

Hello all. I jumped into the forums here a few months ago without seeing this topic, but better late than never.

I’m a 32-year old reporter with a minor in military history. My wargaming goes back the mid ‘80s when I’d set up my Star Wars and GI Joe action figures in the living room, and have them fight it out using a ruler and some dice .

On computers, it goes back to Harpoon, followed by the V4V series in the early ‘90s; man I miss 360 Pacific.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 161
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/9/2005 7:19:55 AM   
chief

eburr: Let me say welcome to the forums.....once you get addicted to SPwaw....post here again and will tell you where and how to join the 12 point cure for addicts....

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to eburr155)
Post #: 162
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/9/2005 4:18:58 PM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard eburr!

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 163
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/22/2005 3:21:10 AM   
Shinden

Hello all,

I'm living in Kobe, Japan. My hobby is making scale model of airclaft. My first plane was A6M2 Zero-sen, like many Japanese boys. SPWAW is most exquisite wargame, I've ever played. The first virsion of this game which I got was v8.2. I'm looking forward to v8.5 patch.

In Japan, there're many people hopeing Japanese version SPWAW. Maybe here is wlong place to talk about this...Where can I talk about this problem? I'm not good at English...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 164
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/22/2005 3:34:54 AM   
SAMWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shinden

Hello all,

I'm living in Kobe, Japan. My hobby is making scale model of airclaft. My first plane was A6M2 Zero-sen, like many Japanese boys. SPWAW is most exquisite wargame, I've ever played. The first virsion of this game which I got was v8.2. I'm looking forward to v8.5 patch.

In Japan, there're many people hopeing Japanese version SPWAW. Maybe here is wlong place to talk about this...Where can I talk about this problem? I'm not good at English...

Try This Site.

http://headquarters.s4.xrea.com/phpBB2/

My Japanese is non-exsistant , so I don't know if this is what you're looking for.

(in reply to Shinden)
Post #: 165
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/22/2005 4:23:51 AM   
Shinden

That's famous site, and I already know. I wanted to know was where should I write about that in this forum. Now I grasped this forum.

Thanks Wolf!

(in reply to SAMWolf)
Post #: 166
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/28/2005 10:11:51 PM   
Tyrson

Greetings All, I'm new to this forum but not war gaming. I've played various war games since 76, just realized that's going on 29 yrs damn I'm old. Me and my mates have been playing SPWAW online for a month or two if you have checked out the ladder at battle leagues thats us, please feel free to post your games to the ladder. We use TeamSpeak during the games, the server we use is the free public sever at goteamspeak the address is 213.202.254.117:10060 then scroll down to "war room" the password is 1234.(the password is just to keep looky loos out) We are generally on about 7:00 pm pacific time feel free to drop in. The games are any where from 1600pts to 2600pts but nothing is carved in stone. You can e-mail me at tyrson2010@yahoo.com if you would like to set something up. Please put SPWAW in subject so I don't delet it with out looking at it. lol
I think I've rambled on enough, I,ve got a question about saving ip games that I'll post in another thread.
Keep your ammo dry.
Tyrson out

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 167
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/29/2005 1:44:52 AM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard Tyrson!

Goblin

(in reply to Tyrson)
Post #: 168
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/31/2005 5:38:33 PM   
brador

Greetings from somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere. I am a role playing veteran who has known Tyrson for nearly 20 years.I look forward to SPWAW because I 'm tired of beating Tyrson all the time lol

Post #: 169
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/31/2005 6:44:18 PM   
Tyrson

It's only when I let my 4yr old play, lol

< Message edited by Tyrson -- 12/31/2005 6:50:09 PM >

(in reply to brador)
Post #: 170
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 12/31/2005 7:28:46 PM   
Goblin

wELCOME bRADOR!!

dAMNED CAPS LOCK.

(in reply to Tyrson)
Post #: 171
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 1/1/2006 6:38:50 PM   
Jh316

G'day. Most of my wargame experience is the Close Combat games and the Five-Star General games. I'm more of a tactical gamer, really. Big fan of games like X-Com, Jagged Alliance, and Silent Storm.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 172
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 1/1/2006 7:40:58 PM   
Goblin

Welcome, Jh!

X-Com rules!

Goblin

(in reply to Jh316)
Post #: 173
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 1/1/2006 10:14:07 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Welcome, Jh!

X-Com rules!

Goblin

Ditto That ........................... I'm quite sure that in some way X-Com sucked me into computer gaming and got me primed for when I discovered SPWaW.
I still have that fossil on my HD.

(I only made it to Mars twice out of about 6-8 complete games - took out the base both times tho...........
How did you people do?)

Major Mess ...................... old time X-Com operative.

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 174
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 1/1/2006 11:10:36 PM   
Goblin

I tend to do very badly when the aliens start taking over people.

I have taken out the base numerous times (still have the PS1 version!), but my overall percentage rate is horrible. I usually end up getting frustrated and starting over. Its most fun to me trying to build up something at the beginning!

Goblin

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 175
INTRODUCING... - 1/3/2006 11:38:35 PM   
JEB Davis

Greetings and Salutations:

Briefly, I started solo playing SPWaW about a month ago, and am hooked.
Also tried SPWW2 and SPMBT, but think SPWaW is supreme.
I am very impressed by the action in the forums and at the Depot, you regulars are great!

I have loved studying WWII since I was a kid (am 39 1/2 now). My favorite board game has always been Tobruk (the original) due to its detail, although it has its faults, i.e., too many die rolls. I look forward to making SPWaW scenarios to replicate the Tobruk ones when I become more experienced with SPWaW editing.

Right now, I'm enjoying playing Das Reich (am in 2nd battle), and reading forums to study tactics for the game.

After a while, I would like to try PBEM, but not quite yet. Have not tried H2H yet. Am using v8.3 due to advice gleaned online, not v8.4.

Keep up the excellent work!

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 176
RE: INTRODUCING... - 1/4/2006 12:10:49 AM   
Deputy

JEB: Das Reich is pretty cool. Some sections a bit frustrating if you don't know the tricks of SPWaW. I didn't know how to get two units in the same hex to load troops up and pretty much blew those scenarios. But the rest of the campaign was great. I figured out how to load troops AFTER I finished it

Dep

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 177
RE: INTRODUCING... - 1/4/2006 12:16:22 AM   
JEB Davis

Deputy,

Check out the manual that comes with the game, I printed it, and it has answers to almost all of your questions, especially stuff like you mentioned.

I agree DR is pretty cool.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 178
RE: INTRODUCING... - 1/4/2006 12:43:28 AM   
Deputy

Yep...that's how I found out what to do

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 179
RE: INTRODUCING... - 1/4/2006 2:27:18 AM   
Goblin

Welcome JEB!!

Goblin

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI